[rec.music.gaffa] Cloudbusting Question

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/02/89)

Really-From: Andy Hynes <ahynes@axion.british-telecom.co.uk>

Dear All,

Could someone please KasT some light on the song "Cloudbusting" for
me.

When I first heard it I was under the impression that it was just
about some mad scientist and his daughter who liked experimenting
with the weather, for which the scientist was locked up.

But then I got my hands on a word sheet and I find that instead of
the last few words in the song being "Your sun's coming out"
they are in fact "Your SON'S coming out". This would imply, to me, that
childbirth is commencing. What child ? Who's child ?

I will apologise in advance if this subject has been discussed before.

Andy.

  __________
  |        | o           _________________________________________
  |        |/|          /                                         \
  |        | |         |  Andy Hynes, RT3121.                      |
  |________| |         |   British Telecom Research Laboratories,  |
      ||     |         |    Martlesham Heath,                      |
      ||     |         |     Ipswich, ENGLAND IP5 7RE.             |
      ||     O       __|                                           |
     ____           /__         Tel:   (0473) 646099               |
    / __ \     ____//  |        Email: ahynes@axion.bt.co.uk       |
   | |  | | __/____/    \_________________________________________/
   | |__| |/__/
    \____///
   ========
   |      |
    \    /
     |  |
 ____|__|____

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/04/89)

Really-From: nkings@axion.british-telecom.co.uk

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU:
> Really-From: Andy Hynes <ahynes@axion.british-telecom.co.uk>
 .
 . Cut
 .
> they are in fact "Your SON'S coming out". This would imply, to me, that
> childbirth is commencing. What child ? Who's child ?

Organon's, perhaps? Isn't the daughter ``remembering Organon'' in the song?

Incest, eh? The same thing occurs in the song ``The Kick Inside'' why not in
a `popular' song.

Ho, hum... what do I know? I just listen to the words.

			nicK

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/05/89)

Really-From: Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu>

> [Andy Hynes:] But then I got my hands on a word sheet and I find
> that instead of the last few words in the song being "Your sun's
> coming out" they are in fact "Your SON'S coming out". This would
> imply, to me, that childbirth is commencing. What child ? Who's
> child ?

When I first heard the song, I thought it was about a girl who becomes
pregant by her father and has his son (and grandson).  It turned out
to be much less incestuous, however....

Really-From: hal9000!root@hal.CWRU.Edu (The Root of All Evil)

In article <8908040949.aa01087@zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: nkings@axion.british-telecom.co.uk
>
>Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU:
>> Really-From: Andy Hynes <ahynes@axion.british-telecom.co.uk>
> .
> . Cut
> .
>> they are in fact "Your SON'S coming out". This would imply, to me, that
>> childbirth is commencing. What child ? Who's child ?

That was my theory for quite some time, BUT..

>Organon's, perhaps? Isn't the daughter ``remembering Organon'' in the song?

I thought Reich only had a son.
Could the line imply the son intends to take over
his father's work?
--
 ___#___   __		     __
/_______\  \ \	    __	    / /         Phil Smyth ( smith )

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/07/89)

Really-From: motcid!marble!meadley@uunet.UU.NET (A. Meadley)

nkings@axion.british-telecom.co.uk writes:
>>Really-From: Andy Hynes <ahynes@axion.british-telecom.co.uk>
>>they are in fact "Your SON'S coming out". This would imply, to me, that
>>childbirth is commencing. What child ? Who's child ?
>
>Organon's, perhaps? Isn't the daughter ``remembering Organon'' in the song?

From my understanding of Peter Reich's book "A Book Of Dreams", I
would suggest that this is refering to himself "coming out", in the
sense of admitting to the world, at last, that he IS the son of
Wilhelm Reich. It is also, in Kate's usage, somewhat of a double
meaning, in that it can also refer to the sun.

There was so much publicity surrounding W. Reich after his death, both
as a "quack" and as an eminent scientist (depending on different people's
opinions!) that Peter Reich felt, initially, that he couldn't openly admit
to being P. Reich's son. By the end of the book, he had come to terms
this and felt proud to be W. Reich's son.

By the way, there is NO daughter. Only one son.

Ant in Chicago.

----- End Forwarded Message -----

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/08/89)

Really-From: "Nick@The End of Time,,," <nkings@zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk>

From article <1029@hal9000.UUCP>, by Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU:
> Really-From: hal9000!root@hal.CWRU.Edu (The Root of All Evil)
>
> I thought Reich only had a son.

Say, what? Where does ``Reich'' come from in the lyrics to the song?
Is he mentioned on a chunk of tape that isn't distributed in the UK?

         - Nick Kings - nkings@axion.bt.co.uk - < Thor Nogson > -
    "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem"

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/10/89)

In article <2184@zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: "Nick@The End of Time,,," <nkings@zaphod.axion.bt.co.uk>
>From article <1029@hal9000.UUCP>, by Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU:
>> Really-From: hal9000!root@hal.CWRU.Edu (The Root of All Evil)
>>
>> I thought Reich only had a son.
>
>Say, what? Where does ``Reich'' come from in the lyrics to the song?

Who said anything about it being in the lyrics?
"Everyone" knows 'Cloudbusting' is based on _The_Book_of_Dreams_
by Peter Reich son of Dr. Wilheim Reich. The lyrics are sung
from from his perspective.

I correct myself, he did have a daughter by the name of Eva.