other composers and/or works?
        Thank you!
           James

ZZ
 zz

--
James G Britt
Big Electric Cat Public UNIX
..!cmcl2!{ccnysci,cucard,hombre}!dasys1!jgbritt

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/14/89)

Really-From: strong@fluke.com (Norm Strong)

In article <10478@dasys1.UUCP> you write:
}
} I like minimalist
} music. However, the only composers I
}know are Glass, Reich and Reilly.
}Could anybody let me know of some
}other composers and/or works?
}        Thank you!
}           James

John Adams.  In my opinion the best minimalist composer in the world.

--

Norm   (strong@tc.fluke.com)

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/15/89)

Really-From: alves%castor.usc.edu@usc.edu (William Alves)

In article <10478@dasys1.UUCP> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:

> I like minimalist
> music. However, the only composers I
>know are Glass, Reich and Reilly.
                           ^ Riley (i.e. Terry)
>Could anybody let me know of some
>other composers and/or works?
>        Thank you!
>           James

How      about   .    .    .

               LaMonte Young, Harold Budd, David Hykes/Harmonic Choir,
           Ingram Marshall (sometimes), and Brian Eno
                for what I shall call
                    " d r o n e" or "o v e r t o n e" music

   Daniel Lentz, John Adams (the stuff c.1975-86), Carl Stone perhaps
                for more of the "pattern pulse" Reich-ian stuff

             Paul Dresher, Chas Smith, Laurie Anderson, David Byrne
for "cross-over" to/from popular genres

                      that's off the top of my head right now

minimally yours

                   B  i  l  l
                                   A  l  v  e  s

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/15/89)

Really-From: Geraint Wiggins <geraint%aipna.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK>

Yes. If you want American-style minimalism you can go for John Adams and the
early work of Andrew Poppy; Micheal Nyman also. For something a bit more
European, try Arvo Part.

Geraint
--
Geraint A Wiggins 		      | G.A.Wiggins@uk.ac.ed
Department of Artificial Intelligence | G.A.Wiggins%ed.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/17/89)

Really-From: 21329JM%MSU.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu

Perhaps John Adams?  Compositions include: Grand Pianola Music, Harmonium,
Light Over Water, Harmonielehre, Shaker Loops, the opera Nixon in China.

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/23/89)

Really-From: portal!cup.portal.com!Henry_Burdett_Messenger@apple.com

This is my first posting to this newsgroup -- let's see if my newsreader
can handle it...

In article <1211.3.2925.1> James G Britt writes:

> I like minimalist
> music. However, the only composers I
> know are Glass, Reich and Reilly.
> Could anybody let me know of some
> other composers and/or works?
>        Thank you!
>            James

One you probably haven't heard yet is David Borden. Let me quote from his
liner notes:

	...Incidentally, my own approach to repetative structures
	was influenced by Terry Riley's _In C_, NOT Steve Reich
	and Phil Glass as has been widely assumed by critics
	and audiences alike. I met both Steve and Phil in 1970
	and was encouraged by their wonderful work. I think they
	were surprised to find that my work was so stylistically
	close to theirs at that time. The main difference was in
	sound was that mine was a synthesizer ensemble (Mother
	Mallard, formed in 1968)...

He has at least three albums out:

	_Music for Amplified Keyboard Instruments_ on Red Records
	_Migration_ on Cuneiform
	_The Continuing Story of Counterpoint, Parts 9-12_ on
		Cuneiform

All these records contain parts of his extended work "The Continuing
Story of Counterpoint".
			- hbm
Henry B. Messenger                    henry_burdett_messenger@cup.portal.com
Digital Equipment Corporation isn't responsible for anything I say on USENET
"I do remember one thing. It took hours and hours, and by the time I was
done with it, I was so involved I didn't know what to think."

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/24/89)

Really-From: klong@umd5.umd.edu (Kim Long)

another minimalist composer is john adams.  i came to know his work
through a dance history course where i learned that he was responsible
for several compositions used in early modern dance (1950's?????).
anyways, i got some of his albums from the undergrad library here and
found some interesting stuff.  his music is percussive and he uses
"treated piano" in several of the works.  the hammers (?) are changed
with the addition of metal objects or whatever he felt gave him the
sound he desired and he plucks the strings inside instead of playing the
keys.  i apologize in advance if i have given some incorrect
information.

kim

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/24/89)

Really-From: klong@umd5.umd.edu (Kim Long)

oh heck, i blew it!  ch adams/cage!!  sorry-i was out to lunch...

kim

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/24/89)

Really-From: amdcad!tymix!ichinen!jdoskow@decwrl.dec.com (Jonathan Doskow)

In article <5259@umd5.umd.edu> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: klong@umd5.umd.edu (Kim Long)
>

>another minimalist composer is john adams.

whose most recent work, the opera Nixon in China, is quite excellent,
though imperfect.  The liner notes describe him as a "minimal
minimalist" :-)  He uses minimalist techniques but is far from limited
to them.  I first heard a fragment of NiC on the radio and thought,
"Phil Glass (whose work I enjoy) has finally grown up."

"All that Mrs. Nixon says is true
      enough"  Chou En-Lai

Don't use Reply, use {world}!ames!oliveb!tymix!jdoskow

Opinions expressed are those of the author.  TYMNET/McDonnell Douglas
is in no way responsible for the content of this posting.