[rec.music.gaffa] All yours, Babooshka, Babooshka, Babooshka-ya-ya

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/24/89)

Really-From: Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu>

I just saw on TV a commercial for Certs where there is a Russian dude
up in Siberia, or something, and he's really far from the camera.  He
pops a Certs in his mouth and suddenly zips up so that we have an
ultra-closeup of his face and he says something like, "Come to me, my
little babooshka".  Thus, it seems that "babooshka" is used as a term
of affection in Russian, in addition to its meanings as "grandmother"
and "scarf worn on the head".

Perhaps this word is used similar to the way that French men call
their women their "little cabbages".  Cabbage has never seen very
romantic to me, but to a different culture, anything goes....

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/26/89)

Really-From: henrik@eddie.MIT.EDU (Larry DeLuca @ The Bandykin Server)

> Discussion of Certs, Babooshka, and Cabbages deleted ...

Perhaps, but taking the anthropological word of a Certs commercial seems
dangerous.

> Discussion of _Cathy Demos_ Deleted ...

Dearest Tim (and any and all others on both sides of the issue),

We have all expressed our views on the subject.  You haven't said anything
new in quite a while, and, frahnklee ohhld boy-uh, the current groove is
getting tiring.  Bear in mind that while I personally happen to agree with
your views on Copyright infringement I find petty harassment most distasteful.

> John Adams/Cage

Well, John Cage anyway did work with a number of modern dancers, most
famous of which was Merce Cunningham (who Andy Warhol, among others,
designed sets for).  Cunningham was a student of Martha Graham, dancing
with her company in the 40's, and I believe left in the 50's to set
out on his own.  In truth, Cunningham represented the third generation
of modern dancers in this country, most of them springing from
Graham or Doris Humphrey, themselves both students of the Denishawn
school at one time (started by Ruth St. Denis and Ted Shawn).

						larry...

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/26/89)

Really-From: wisner@mica.berkeley.edu (William Wisner)

It seemed obvious to me the first time I ever heard _Babooshka_. I had always
thought of the word babooshka as a Russian endearment. I also thought that the
idea that the word is a Russian endearment could be nothing but a Western myth.
I've never had a chance to ask a Russian, though..

sharon@asylum.SF.CA.US (Sharon Fisher) (08/27/89)

In article <8908240132.AA15503@GAFFA.MIT.EDU> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu>
>
>I just saw on TV a commercial for Certs where there is a Russian dude
>up in Siberia, or something, and he's really far from the camera.  He
>pops a Certs in his mouth and suddenly zips up so that we have an
>ultra-closeup of his face and he says something like, "Come to me, my
>little babooshka".  Thus, it seems that "babooshka" is used as a term
>of affection in Russian, in addition to its meanings as "grandmother"
>and "scarf worn on the head".
>
>Perhaps this word is used similar to the way that French men call
>their women their "little cabbages".  Cabbage has never seen very
>romantic to me, but to a different culture, anything goes....

Babushka means grandmother and that weird hat thing that Russian
grandmothers often wear.  The Certs commercial simply picked the word
because it "sounds" like an endearment.  It's not.

And I take it from your "cabbage" comment that you've never called
your object of affection "honey..."
--
"Goldfish are quiet, under the water.
"Girls who keep goldfish are sometimes quite loud."