[rec.music.gaffa] Tony Levin, Jerry Marotta

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/12/89)

Really-From: tynor%prism@gatech.edu (STEVE TYNOR)

Can anyone suggest other artists with whom Tony Levin and/or Jerry
Marotta have performed? They've both been featured on Peter Gabriel
albums (at least pre-"So"), and I've heard Levin with King Crimson
("Beat" and "Three of Perfect Pair"). I seem to remember someone
mentioning that Marotta played on a Tears for Fears album. Anywhere
else? If you can't come up with Levin/Marotta appearences, how about
other artists with similar styles? (I'd particularly be interested in
other Stick players).

Eschew Obfuscation

    Steve Tynor
    Georgia Tech Research Institute
    Artificial Intelligence Branch
    tynor@prism.gatech.edu

--
TYNOR,STEPHEN D.
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!st6

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/12/89)

Really-From: Gary L Dare <gld@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu>

In article <1794@hydra.gatech.EDU> STEVE TYNOR wrote:

>Can anyone suggest other artists with whom Tony Levin and/or Jerry
>Marotta have performed?

They played on the second and third albums by Canadian prog/pop rocker
Gowan (Larry Gowan).  I don't know if these are available in the US or
not.  Jon Anderson appears on backing vox for the song "Moonlight
Desires".  Great music, although Gowan was marketed as a video/pop act.

Also, Tim Finn's new solo career saw the dynamic duo anchoring his
band.  He was one of the two brothers leading NZ's Split Enz.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Je me souviens ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gary L. Dare				Quebec Elections, 25 Sept.:
> gld@cunixd.cc.columbia.EDU 		Vote for the Rhino Party!
> gld@cunixc.BITNET			Votons le Parti Rhino!!

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/12/89)

Really-From: Brian Patrick Arnold <ba0k+@andrew.cmu.edu>

Tony Levin played with Peter Gabriel on every PG release
including bootlegs except Peter's latest "Passion".  Tony
and Jerry played on Fripp's "Exposure" recording which
actually came out on CD for a while.  Tony was an integral
part of the 1980-1984 King Crimson lineup, on bootlegs,
"Discipline", "Beat", "Three of a Perfect Pair" and videos.

Tony Levin was in Yoko Ono's band, I think back in 1980 ish.
He played on several Carly Simon records, a Frida (ABBA)
album and played with Mark Knopfler (of Dire Straits) on
at least one soundtrack and something else.  He played with
Robbie Robertson I think.  He played on  Pink Floyd's
latest studio recording but didn't tour with Floyd.
He played on some songs from two Roches recordings
"The Roches" and "Keep On Doing".  He played on Bryan
Ferry's "Boys and Girls" recording.  Being a studio-ish
musician, I know but can't think of several other
recordings he's played on.

WIth Bill Bruford, Bill and Tony played on one song on
Al DiMeola's "Scenario" recording, and the pair played
with David Torn and Mark Isham on Torn's "Cloud About
Mercury".  Bill toured with Torn but Tony didn't.
Bill was beyond awesome on the Torn tour, mindblowing.
Tony was last seen recording with Anderson, Bruford,
Wakeman and Howe and IS touring with them as
I type this message.  Tony does justice to Squire's work.

Tony Levin also invented the seatbelt.

Sorry I don't have a good scoop on Jerry Marotta.

Jerry, Tony and Robert Fripp along with one or two
other unidentified musicians were rumored to have
rehearsed in preparation of a reformation of King Crimson
back in 1987, but I think this rumor evolved from
mistaken identities in David Sylvian's rehearsals
when he toured back then, in which none of the
people I just mentioned actually toured with Sylvian.

Fripp very recently played as "Fripp/Fripp"
somewhere in England as a friend who was planning
to see it told me a couple weeks ago.  "Fripp/Fripp"
apparently played in Paris in May, and is thought
to consist of Toyah Wilcox (who someone claims
is Fripp's wife hence...), a crafty guitarist playing
Stick and a drummer who Fripp has played with
before but I can't remember if it could possibly
be Jerry Marotta.  None of this is confirmed.

- Brian

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/12/89)

Really-From: tynor%prism@gatech.edu (TYNOR,STEPHEN D.)

Thanks, I'll check them out...

Virtue is its own punishment.

    tynor@gitpyr.gatech.edu

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/12/89)

Really-From: rar@Sun.COM (Rob Rosen - N/W Region Consulting)

In article <8Z3GHcK00UhWQ0qGxN@andrew.cmu.edu> you write:
>Really-From: Brian Patrick Arnold <ba0k+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>

>Tony Levin was in Yoko Ono's band, I think back in 1980 ish.
>He played on several Carly Simon records, a Frida (ABBA)
>album and played with Mark Knopfler (of Dire Straits) on
>at least one soundtrack and something else.  He played with
>Robbie Robertson I think.  He played on  Pink Floyd's
>latest studio recording but didn't tour with Floyd.
>He played on some songs from two Roches recordings
>"The Roches" and "Keep On Doing".  He played on Bryan
>Ferry's "Boys and Girls" recording.  Being a studio-ish
>musician, I know but can't think of several other
>recordings he's played on.

	I'm not sure if he's on the recording but Tony Levin
(along with Steve Gadd) act as themselves, more or less, with
Paul Simon in the 'One Trick Pony' film.  Simon's character
(Jonah Levin) was actually named after Tony.  It's a pretty
good film.  Also, the keyboardsman in the film (I think his
name is Richard Treat but I'm not sure) later appeared on
Peter Gabriel's 'So' release playing piano on 'Don't Give Up,'
which all of you should know.

	Rob
	Rob Rosen 	Sun Microsystems, Inc.		Professional Services
     rar@sun.COM [Internet]     sun!rar [UUCP]     	415.781.8140
		What do you do when things go wrong?

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/13/89)

Really-From: tynor%prism@gatech.edu (TYNOR,STEPHEN D.)

Thanks for the info.

Expedience is the best teacher.

Really-From: munnari!cs.su.oz.au!gregr@uunet.UU.NET (Greg Ryan)

In article <1794@hydra.gatech.EDU> (STEVE TYNOR) writes

>Can anyone suggest other artists with whom Tony Levin [has] performed?

To the already extensive list posted here, I can add recording with
Kate and Anna McGarrigle.  The album name escapes me for the moment.

rael@cbnews.ATT.COM (c.daniel.vanevic) (09/13/89)

In article <1794@hydra.gatech.EDU>, Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
> Really-From: tynor%prism@gatech.edu (STEVE TYNOR)
>
> Can anyone suggest other artists with whom Tony Levin and/or Jerry
> Marotta have performed?

Believe it or not, Tony Levin and Jerry Marotta are featured predominantly
in the latest Stevie Nicks album.  Also, Tony Levin toured with Peter
Frampton in his (that's Peter's) last tour, I'm not sure if Jerry was
involved there as well or not.  I guess it's a case of "when you're good,
you're good", or "gotta make a living somehow".

					Dan Vanevic
					rael@cbnews.ATT.COM

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/14/89)

Really-From: portal!cup.portal.com!Henry_Burdett_Messenger@apple.com

 tynor%prism@gatech.edu (STEVE TYNOR) writes:

> Can anyone suggest other artists with whom Tony Levin and/or Jerry
> Marotta have performed? They've both been featured on Peter Gabriel
> albums (at least pre-"So"),

        I don't know where else Morotta has played, but...

> and I've heard Levin with King Crimson
> ("Beat" and "Three of Perfect Pair").

        You're missing the best of the three "Discipline" King Crimson
        albums: Discipline.

        In addition, two live concert videos are available: "Three of a
        Perfect Pair: Live in Japan", and "the noise" (Frejus, France).
        Both are the "Discipline" lineup: Fripp, Bruford, Belew and Levin.

> Anywhere
> else?

        The Bruford/Levin combo also appears in "Cloud About Mercury"
        by David Torn and "Anderson/Bruford/Wakeman/Howe". Tony Levin
        also plays on David Van Tiegham's album "Safety in Numbers".

> If you can't come up with Levin/Marotta appearences, how about
> other artists with similar styles? (I'd particularly be interested in
> other Stick players).

        Well, you realize, of course, that Jerry Marotta is a drummer,
        and has no reason to play a Chapman Stick...
                                - hbm
Henry B. Messenger                    henry_burdett_messenger@cup.portal.com
Digital Equipment Corporation isn't responsible for anything I say on Usenet

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/19/89)

Really-From: LASSFOLK@hylka.Helsinki.FI

In article <1794@hydra.gatech.EDU>, Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
> Really-From: tynor%prism@gatech.edu (STEVE TYNOR)
>

> Can anyone suggest other artists with whom Tony Levin and/or Jerry
> Marotta have performed? They've both been featured on Peter Gabriel

They BOTH play on Park Hotel by Alice (CDP 7466392, EMI, 1986).
And who is she? ...Well, you'll just have to find out.

Any other Alice fans out there?

Kai Lassfolk                      BITNET:   lassfolk@finuh.bitnet
University of Helsinki            Internet: lassfolk@cc.helsinki.fi
Department of Musicology
Vironkatu 1                       Phone: +358-0-1924468 (office)
SF-00170 HELSINKI                        +358-0-461506  (home)
Finland

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/23/89)

Really-From: emilio!telesci!ashepps@pyrnj.pyramid.com (Anton C Shepps)

> Can anyone suggest other artists with whom Tony Levin and/or Jerry
> Marotta have performed?

I'm not sure, but I think the original list of Levin/Marotta projects
didn't include the new album from Syd Straw, entitled "Surprise".  She also
gets help from such diverse musicians as Marshall Crenshaw, Richard Thompson,
Peter Holsapple, Peter Blegvad, Don Was, Pino Palladino, Dave Alvin, Benmont
Tench, Bernie Worrell, John Doe, Chris Stamey, Anton Fier, Michael Stipe,
Roger Eno and Daniel Lanois, amongst others.
    Tony Shepps  ashepps@telesci.uucp  (...!princeton!telesci!ashepps)
      "Wherever liberty has existed, it has survived only through
        strong restraints on government."  -- Walter E. Williams