[rec.music.gaffa] Peach Joyce, English, Spelling, and Bickering

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/26/89)

Really-From: "Craig M. Kanarick" <kanarick@BBN.COM>

in message <8909260207.aa01313@gaffa.mit.edu>, Doug Alan writes:

>> [IED:] Finally, IED didn't take umbrage against you, Julian, for
>> correcting his spelling of Vaughan Williams's name. On the contrary,
>> he shares with you a respect for spelling which often leads him into
>> breaches of the sad protocol devised by our present social order,
>> which has become so complacent in its illiteracy that it actually
>> views bad English as a virtue, and the consciousness of error as a
>> sin.

> This is a complete misrepresentation of the truth, Mr. Marvick.  No
> one (whom I know) "views bad English as a virtue".  What I have been
> saying (and it's also the truth) is that language is a means of
> communication.  As a means of communication, it is something that can
> be used well, or it can be used poorly.  But it can't in any real
> sense be used "correctly" or "incorrectly".  The perfect use of
> language, if such a thing could exist, would communicate exactly what
> you wanted to communicate.  The rules of "Standard Written English",
>
> ... [more babbling abour English usage, etc.]

This is basically addressed to both Doug *and* Andrew --

Doug, you have done a fantastic job of psuedo-moderating this
newsgroup, and have also posted uncountable numbers of interesting
articles about our heroine, KT.  My jealousy towards your having
actually *interviewed* KT is incredible.

Andy, you have also been a fantastic source of information and entertainment
over the past three or four years, as I am sure many will agree.

But please, please, please, both of you:

ENOUGH ALREADY!

I come here to read about KT, her music, her life, her lyrics, and, of
course, William Reich :-), *not* about the history of English.

Seriously, in my very humble opinion, I think this newsgroup
should contain articles about Kate-music, Kate-like music, and
Kate-related things.

Can't you two argue about spelling in private e-mail?

Sorry to bicker, I guess I am just moody since I HAVEN'T GOTTEN A
CHANCE TO HEAR THE NEW ALBUM.

Anxiously awaiting some seedcake,

-- Craig

Craig M. Kanarick				"Do I love you?  Yes, I
						 love you.  All this talking,
kanarick@bbn.com             			 talking, is only bravado..."

BBN Systems and Technologies Corporation	 - The Blue Nile
Cambridge, MA  02238

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/27/89)

Really-From: Yong-Mi Kim <kimy@cs.unc.edu>

wow!  I saw your signature - somebody else besides me who's heard
that fantastic album!  Have they had any other U.S. releases?

	      it takes forever if you go by inertia
	      no time if you don't believe in time
		    Jane Siberry  "The Very Large Hat"
yong-mi kim                                     kimy@cs.unc.edu