[rec.music.gaffa] CD repairs

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/20/89)

Really-From: Steve Schonberger <microsoft!stevesc@uunet.UU.NET>

I've discovered a way to fix scratched CDs.  I've done two this way and
they both play now, and both were not playable (in the region of the
scratch) before, so it works.  One got scratched by falling off a stack
of them, out of the box, and sliding down some concrete stairs, and the
other was scratched by accidentally opening a portable and knocking it
across the spinning center, so both were moderately severe scratches.

Step one:  Rub the scratched area with an eraser (the ones in the supply
rooms for the mechanical pencils work well) fairly hard.  Be sure to rub
toward and away from the center, not in the direction of rotation!

Step two:  Blow away eraser crumbs as much as possible.

Step three:  Carefully brush away more eraser crumbs.  Be very careful
to try to remove all traces of eraser residue.

Step four:  Rub the fuzzy patch left by the eraser (to and from center)
with cloth until most of the fuzziness goes away.  I used flannel, since
it is strong but not very rough.

If there are still scratches deep enough to disrupt the play, repeat the
job, but don't rub as hard with the eraser on later repititions of the
erasing step unless the scratches are really deep.  The idea of erasing
again is to remove the deep scratches from the first erasing.

Note that this doesn't do any good if the aluminum is scratched, though
that is fortunately very rare, resulting from very nasty scratches to
through the printed layer.  You can still use the old "repair" method of
buying a new one, of course!

Maybe I should put an eraser, a piece of flannel, and instructions into
a baggie and sell them for far too much money!

--
	Steve Schonberger	microsoft!stevesc@uunet.uu.net
	"Working under pressure is the sugar that we crave"  -- A. Lamb

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/21/89)

Really-From: adams%bosco.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Jeffrey P. Adams)

>Really-From: Steve Schonberger <microsoft!stevesc@uunet.UU.NET>
>
>I've discovered a way to fix scratched CDs.

I've heard you can fix scratched CDs with turtle wax or the exuivalent.
The whole idea here is to avoid refraction discontinuities in the
clear stuff, and with wax, you just fill it in with some material
(wax) which has more or less the same index of refraction, and buff
it nice and purty.

          Jeff Adams                 adams@math.berkeley.edu

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/21/89)

Really-From: Jon Scheer <outback!wombat@rutgers.edu>

Steve,

   Here are two more ways to 'fix' CD's :

   Method 1 :
      Run tooth paste on the CD and 'polish' with soft cloth for a long
      time (5, 10, 15 minutes; until the disk is dry and the grooves
      filled in).  The idea is that the tooth paste fills in the grooves,
      reducing the *refraction* of light.  Tooth paste is a very good
      polisher (this from a friend who's dad is a dentist).  With the
      grooves filled in the light will pass through the tooth paste (the
      tooth paste doesn't stay white; it turns clear with polishing) and
      reflects off the metal as would in normal operation.

   Method 2 :
      Use car wax in place of tooth paste in the above procedure.

   I have tried these methods and they fixed a CD.  Well, the CD still
sounded awful, but it was Micheal Jackson's 'Bad' CD...  The CD didn't
skip any more (until we threw it across the room).  (A friend found the
CD along the road.  Yup, it looked like someone threw it out the car
window.  It didn't play at all until we 'fixed' it using the above with
tooth paste.)

   Oh yeah, use some tooth paste like Gleem or such.  CD's don't care much
about tarter control...

Jon

PS.  Feel free to post this to the net; I don't have 'postability' from
     my site.  Thanks.

PPS. I get 4012510f the profits if you market this!  ;-)

--
Jon C. Scheer
...{ uunet | mcdchg }!amtfocus!outback!wombat                      (Home)

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/25/89)

Really-From: otter!dps@hplabs.hp.com (Duncan Smith)

I have seen results obtained with a mild abrasive such as toothpaste.
The idea is presumably that it partly fills in the scratch (Helping to
eliminate discontinuities in refractive index) and partly makes it
shallower by removing a thin surface layer.

Duncan Smith

tjfs@tadtec.uucp (Tim Steele) (09/27/89)

In article <25185249@outback.UUCP> Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:

> Here are two more ways to 'fix' CD's :
>
> Method 1 :
	>tooth paste<
>
> Method 2 :
	>car wax<

What's this doing in rec.music.gaffa anyway?

The question is: which is better, tooth paste or car wax?  Enquiring
minds want to know!  I haven't had much success with tooth paste, but
I haven't tried polishing for 15 minutes as suggested!

Tim
--
tjfs@tadtec.uucp   ..!uunet!mcvax!ukc!tadtec!tjfs
Tadpole Technology plc, Titan House, Castle Park, CAMBRIDGE, CB3 0AY, UK