[rec.music.gaffa] More Implorings ...

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/14/89)

Really-From: Woj <woiccare@clutx.clarkson.edu>

Also to support the new album, I implore all college-type folks out there
to either

a) request the album ALOT on your local college station (who I hope should
be playing the album ALOT).

b) play the album ALOT on your local college station (if you are a DJ, like
me).

c) if you work for your college newspaper, write a review of the album
for the paper (also like I will do).

Of all them, radio is most important (obviously). However, the unobvious
thing about it is that college music (I prefer *alternative* myself) journals
do have a big impact on the major labels too. While indies practically live
because of college stations, the majors, until recently, didn't care. In the
recent years, because of such bands as REM, The Cure, The Replacements, etc.,
the major labels have realized that alternative music is a viable source of
income for them. While this is intrinsically bad for the indies and somewhat
off skew as far as I'm concerned, artists who do get contracts with the majors
*do* pay attention *very much* to college station playlists.

I imagine that Kate will get played alot anyways on college stations because
that has always been a bastion of strength for her, but a little prodding from
the fanatic masses never hurt.

woj --- woiccare@clutx.clarkson.edu

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/27/89)

Really-From: Brian Patrick Arnold <ba0k+@andrew.cmu.edu>

Hi y'all,

   you know, I think I'm gonna call up radio stations asking they NOT
play anything new by Kate because it sucks.  Yeah, that's what I'm
gonna do...

   I'm gonna tell all my friends the new Kate single stinks, and,
and I'm gonna tell them that in fact her whole album is "unglued"
like, yeah, that other guy wrote in a previous message, and tell
'em her voice is wretched too...yeah.

   Oh and I'm gonna write a letter to my college newspaper saying
her album really bites, yep.  And, yeah.  Maybe I'll even become a
DJ and NOT play her new stuff, wouldn't that be great...yeah.

   Naah, I think I'll stay on planet Earth a little bit longer.
Aren't these "lets buy a million copies of her new album" types of
requests getting a little bit silly?  Play the album a lot on your
local radio station, buy a jillion copies of the LP etc., I don't
care, but let the listeners decide, please, don't force it down
their throats!

    It's quite possible that normal people think of Kate's music in
the same way I think of a soap opera star's music, and frankly
I'd hate to hear a soap opera star's music all the time (hence
I don't listen to top-40).  It's quite possible some people
dislike Kate's voice in the same way some people dislike Geddy
Lee's voice.  Oops, I might be walking in the slander zone...

- Brian

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/27/89)

Really-From: Jon Drukman <jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU>

In article <8909140205.AA18237@clutx.clarkson.edu> you write:

>c) if you work for your college newspaper, write a review of the album
>for the paper (also like I will do).

Inhabitants of Western Mass are urged to check out this Friday's issue
of The Collegian.  My weekly column _Disc_Junkie_ will feature either
a review of the single (which I have written) or a review of the whole
album (if I get a copy in time to write the article before the deadline...)
I also asked my editor to try and pull some strings with CBS and get me
a Kate presskit or an interview (ha ha!  one never knows...  send your
questions you'd liked asked in NOW folks...) or whatever.  No word so
far.

Keep your eyes peeled, gang.

--

+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? --------------------+
|  |   |\        | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | "Please, Al, the fat and unattractive|

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/28/89)

Really-From: ide!lofdahl@Sun.COM (Corey Lofdahl)

bpa: Hi y'all,

bpa:    you know, I think I'm gonna call up radio stations asking they NOT
bpa: play anything new by Kate because it sucks.  Yeah, that's what I'm
bpa: gonna do...

bpa:    I'm gonna tell all my friends the new Kate single stinks, and,
bpa: and I'm gonna tell them that in fact her whole album is "unglued"
bpa: like, yeah, that other guy wrote in a previous message, and tell
bpa: 'em her voice is wretched too...yeah.
bpa: (blah, blah, blah ...)

Mr Arnold:

Please take your slovenly unwashed self and climb back into the
hole you crawled out of.  There you can mutter these infantile
gibberings to yourself and not bother love-hounds.

Perhaps next spring, after we have finished the initial
frenzied rejoicing over Kate's new album, and you have had time
to reflect on the malformed thoughts of your malfunctioning mind,
you can crawl out again.  Until that time, stay there CHUD-bait.

			--Corey

         "Now *these* are infantile gibberings!"

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/30/89)

Really-From: ide!lofdahl@Sun.COM (Corey Lofdahl)

To: love-hounds%gaffa.mit.edu
Subject: re: More Implorings ...

bpa: Hi y'all,

bpa:    you know, I think I'm gonna call up radio stations asking they NOT
bpa: play anything new by Kate because it sucks.  Yeah, that's what I'm
bpa: gonna do...

bpa:    I'm gonna tell all my friends the new Kate single stinks, and,
bpa: and I'm gonna tell them that in fact her whole album is "unglued"
bpa: like, yeah, that other guy wrote in a previous message, and tell
bpa: 'em her voice is wretched too...yeah.
bpa: (blah, blah, blah ...)

Mr Arnold:

Please take your unwashed slovenly wretched self and climb back into
the hole you crawled out of.  There you can mutter these infantile
gibberings to yourself and not bother love-hounds.

Perhaps next spring, after we have had time to rejoice over Kate's
inspired new album, and you have had time to reflect on the malformed
thoughts of your malfunctioning mind, you may crawl out again.