[rec.music.gaffa] Implorings ..., new kid

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/03/89)

Really-From: Brian Patrick Arnold <ba0k+@andrew.cmu.edu>

I suppose Corey was fighting fire with fire, maybe in a humorous way.

Otherwise, I guess I'll crawl back into my hole.  It seems better than
attempting to hold an intelligent, balanced conversation on this
bboard/mailing-list/newsgroup/AFS-Folder/... (bboard for brevity).

I'll fight against my own previous argument with reason since nobody
else will: it *is* wise for admirers of Kate to pontificate her music to
the unenlightened, unwashed masses.  There's enough crap being played on
the radio and the media  have a very tremendous effect in affecting
people.  I know many people fail to appreciate entire spectra of music
simply because it's not accessible by the various media.  I'll use a
quote from the new kid in Pgh, Pa:

>...the kids I went to high school with didn't know that any other groups
>other the LZ and the Cure were worth listening to, let alone existed.
                                                              ^^^^^^^

So, I recommend playing TSW all the time and on the radio as much as the
public can stand it.  However, I'm not going to buy 10 copies of her new
release.  Only 1 copy, for me.  And I might try to see her if she tours.

Corey, please don't call me CHUD-bait, because I don't know what CHUD
is.  Call me ignorant instead.  And please refrain from posting hate
mail - send me personal hate mail instead.

We do live in a country where each person is entitled to her/his own
opinions, at least for the near future as far as I can tell.

In Steve Williams' message:
>...It's not necessary to verify your devotion to Kate by
>trashing other groups...

Am I reading the right bboard?  Bull-s***.  An alarming percentage of
people writing to this bboard put Kate on the "throne" (that's what LH
is for, I'd argue) and consider music by other musicians somehow lacking
some critical element (lacking Kate, q.v.).  On this basis alone, you
could argue that such people implicitly declare all other music and
musicians less worthy and therefore is a put-down.  Music, the
musician's craft, is what matters, not the musician (what am I saying?
The ice is thin here, walk carefully to another bboard...). If you
disagree, I plead for you to be intelligent about your counter-claim...

- Brian

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/03/89)

Really-From: Brian Patrick Arnold <ba0k+@andrew.cmu.edu>

Howdy,

   on my last message, I forgot to add to the last paragraph "Anybody on
this bboard who even pretends that Kate isn't better than any other
group is considered a heathen, as demonstrated by the response I got to
a previous message", which I am still assuming was simply in humor, but
anyway:

>...take your unwashed slovenly wretched self....

That's why I started the paragraph with "Am I reading the right bboard?"
 It was all supposed to tie together.  Oh well.

- Brian

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/04/89)

Really-From: stewarte@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (The Man Who Invented Himself)

Was I only dreaming, or did Brian Patrick Arnold <ba0k+@andrew.cmu.edu>
actually say:

>I'll fight against my own previous argument with reason since nobody
>else will: it *is* wise for admirers of Kate to pontificate her music to
>the unenlightened, unwashed masses.  There's enough crap being played on
>the radio and the media  have a very tremendous effect in affecting
>people.  I know many people fail to appreciate entire spectra of music
>simply because it's not accessible by the various media.

Well, heck, if you're going to abandon your position, I'll take it over
for you.  There is so much crap being played on radio that people who
are really interested in music have abandoned it entirely (with the
exception of some college & public stations).  Therefore, the only
audience that'll be affected by pushing KaTe on radio is the same
one that will buy _anything_ pushed at them hard enough and often
enough.

Further, I question whether Kate's fans should even _want_ her to be a
multiplatinum superstar.  Major commercial success is inevitably followed
by record company pressure to repeat that success.  I doubt that Kate
would actually succumb to such pressure, but it is possible.  More likely,
I think, is simply that having such pressures affects her work indirectly.
As long as she remains a respectably-selling "cult artist", record
companies are going to leave her alone for the most part.

I can't help thinking of _The Battle of Brazil_, the book on the making of
Terry Gilliam's "Brazil"; the author says that the worst thing that happened
to Brazil was when Universal head Sid Sheinberg decided that the film
could be a big hit -- with the right changes made.  Everyone else at the
studio expected an art-house picture, and were willing to release the film
as is on that basis.  Gilliam's version of the film was eventually released
(Sheinberg's butchered version later appeared on TV).

Can you imagine the head of CBS Records deciding that Kate Bush could be
as big as Madonna, with the right changes to her "image"?  I can.

Your devilish advocate,
			Stewart

--
"They call me crazy, but my
 name is Clifton Chenier."

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/04/89)

Really-From: Jon Drukman <jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU>

In article <8910040220.AA04786@ucscc.UCSC.EDU> you write:
>Really-From: stewarte@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (The Man Who Invented Himself)
>
>Further, I question whether Kate's fans should even _want_ her to be a
>multiplatinum superstar.  Major commercial success is inevitably followed
>by record company pressure to repeat that success.  I doubt that Kate
>would actually succumb to such pressure, but it is possible.

Boy you people are forgetful!  She already _is_ a megastar (maybe not
Multiplatinum, but amazingly popular anyway) is Britain!!  We are not
talking about a respectably weird band like Talking Heads making it
big in America with a few accidental hits, we are talking about severe
Madonna-like success, on a regular basis.  HoL was a HUGE seller in
Britain.  And anyway, on the subject of record company pressure, this has
already happened.  Remember what they said after the success of WUthering
Heights and The Kick Inside?  They said, "c'mon Katey darling, we need
another album RIGHT NOW.  We need product!  It's gotta move, now get to it!"
And what happened?  They rushed her into releasing "Lionheart" which
I think pretty much speaks for itself.

>Can you imagine the head of CBS Records deciding that Kate Bush could be
>as big as Madonna, with the right changes to her "image"?  I can.

I seriously doubt it.  She's been around for years, and most of her
records got to #1 in Britain (I think -- I know that two of them did
anyway.  The Dreaming, her least successful album, got to #3).

On the other hand, a listen to the _Sensual_world_ album may back up
your point.  If _Love_and_Anger_ isn't targeted at being a major top-40
american radio hit, then I don't know what is!!

--
+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? --------------------+
|  |   |\        | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | "A man's home is his coffin."        |

ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi) (10/04/89)

>Really-From: Jon Drukman <jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU>
>
>Boy you people are forgetful!  She already _is_ a megastar (maybe not
>Multiplatinum, but amazingly popular anyway) is Britain!!

Actually, _The Whole Story_ went double platinum there, and I think so did
_Hounds of Love_.

>I seriously doubt it.  She's been around for years, and most of her
>records got to #1 in Britain (I think -- I know that two of them did
>anyway.  The Dreaming, her least successful album, got to #3).

_Lionheart_ didn't reach #1 either.  But all the others did, I think.

>On the other hand, a listen to the _Sensual_world_ album may back up
>your point.  If _Love_and_Anger_ isn't targeted at being a major top-40
>american radio hit, then I don't know what is!!

Personally, I think "Heads We're Dancing" is closer to an American
hit-type song than "Love and Anger." I also like it more.

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov

ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi) (10/06/89)

>Really-From: stewarte@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (The Man Who Invented Himself)

>Further, I question whether Kate's fans should even _want_ her to be a
>multiplatinum superstar.  Major commercial success is inevitably followed
>
>Your devilish advocate,
>			Stewart

There are two important reasons why we should hope that the album is
very successful:

1)  Kate herself has said many times that she relies on the success of
each album to be able to afford to do the next one.

2)  Kate will only do promotion here if she sees that people are interested
in the album.  A tour here would require even more success.

These points apply just as well in the UK as here in the USA, but in
England she doesn't have to worry about being successful.

Ed (Edward Suranyi)
Dept. of Applied Science, UC Davis/Livermore
ed@das.llnl.gov
Until further notice, I CANNOT reply to mail by UUNET. So don't ask me to.

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/07/89)

Really-From: abvax!las@uunet.UU.NET (Lorie A Stull)

I picked up a copy of _TSW_ last night for $6 in the Cleveland area. This
from a record store notorious for selling demo copies of stuff...  Actually,
I managed to get an advance copy a few weeks back...Good stuff!

What I wonder is, does anyone else out there listen to music that possibly
influences Kate Bush herself?  Bands like Capercaillie, Relativity, De
Dannan, and the Bothy Band come to mind as good Celtic bands.  I'd
recommend getting in touch with Green Linnet Records in Connecticut
(phone (203) 966-0864).  Not that she DOES listen to these bands, but
there are common threads.

Finally, I also talked with Vickie Mapes the other night for about an
hour myself...Quite a nice (and helpful) person!

Ed Lieser
(using Lorie Stull's account)