[rec.music.gaffa] I feel a scream of frustration coming on. . .

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/04/89)

Really-From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)

WHERE THE HELL IS HER U.S. SINGLE?  THERE'S ONLY TWO WEEKS LEFT UNTIL
THE GODDAMNED ALBUM IS RELEASED!  DOESN'T ANYBODY KNOW ANYTHING?

Also,

WHY ON EARTH HAVEN'T THE RECORD STORES BEEN TOLD ABOUT THE ALBUM
YET?  I'm particularly annoyed that Tower hasn't heard of it yet.
I mean, Kate's always done quite well there, at least in the Bay Area.
Consider:
     1)  Several articles about her have appeared in _Pulse!_ magazine,
which is Tower Record's in-store magazine.
     2)  In the letters page of _Pulse!_, Kate's records have been
mentioned as Desert Island Disks many times.
     3)  Both _HoL_ and _TWS_ did very well there.  In the Mountain View
store, _HoL_ was on the Top 25 rack for a long time, and _TWS_ peaked at
number five on that rack.
     4)  I was just in that particular store last night, and there were
about eight Kate CD's in the racks, with about thirty more in the
overstock bin below.  It's clear from my observations that her albums are
sold and reordered on a regular basis.

I'm sure that they would be *very* interested to know of a new album.

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov

P.S. I thought Gaffa was a town in Israel. :-) :-)
     (Just kidding, folks.  Notice the smiley faces?)

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/06/89)

Really-From: halley!steve@cs.utexas.edu (Steve Williams)

In one of his rare postings, ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi) writes:

>P.S. I thought Gaffa was a town in Israel. :-) :-)
>     (Just kidding, folks.  Notice the smiley faces?)

I know I recently warned some welcome newcomer never to ask about gaffa
(I was only kidding, of course.  We never tire of the weeks of debate
that follow such questions.), so I'll probably take some deserved flames
for this, but:

Way, way back, before I paid enough attention to the words and certainly
before my eyes were opened right here in Love-Hound Land, I thought that
the phrase (if not the song itself) "Suspended in Gaffa" must be related
to Huxley's book _Eyeless_In_Gaza_.  I still can't think of one without
thinking of the other.  (Like I said, I know better now, so if you're
going to shoot at me, do it for being so dumb in the first place, not
for promoting that view now.)

Steve Williams               ...!cs.utexas.edu!halley!steve

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/08/89)

Really-From: Lazlo Nibble <lazlo@ariel.unm.edu>

ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi) writes:

> WHY ON EARTH HAVEN'T THE RECORD STORES BEEN TOLD ABOUT THE ALBUM
> YET?  I'm particularly annoyed that Tower hasn't heard of it yet.

All the record stores have "been told" about the album, and have known
about it for months, thanks to Billboard, their distributors, and the
record-label promo people.  Just because the Minimum Wage Schmuck up at
the front counter doesn't pay attention to all the info that flows into
the store doesn't mean that Tower as an entity is unaware of the
impending Sensual World.

> I'm sure that they would be *very* interested to know of a new album.

No doubt their preorders for it were placed weeks ago.  Don't worry
about it.  You'll get your copy on the 17th, just like the rest of us.
(And yes, I am probably going to listen to the new Kate BEFORE the new
Art Of Noise, which comes out the same day over here . . . but I HATE
moral dilemmas like that!)

                                                   Lazlo (lazlo@ariel.unm.edu)
"No Pimento Loaf!"  -- Lunchmeat McBarcode's Guide to Loving