[net.lan] Looking for comments on 3COM

perelgut@utcsrgv.UUCP (Stephen Perelgut) (03/30/84)

<.> <----- Wombat to eat bugs

Is anyone using the 3COM Etherseries on an 8088 based system?
We are thinking about hooking a number of pc's (not necessarily
IBM PC's) together with a VAX as a file and print server.  Has
anyone tried this?  Has anyone used 3COM products?  I would like
general impressions about 3COM, particular experiences with the
3COM boards for various pc's (TI-Pro and Eagle in particular),
and whatever software information you have.

Thank you in advance.
--
Stephen Perelgut
	    Computer Systems Research Group    University of Toronto

johnl@haddock.UUCP (04/03/84)

#R:utcsrgv:-365500:haddock:19000001:000:1720
haddock!johnl    Apr  2 15:07:00 1984

We currently have an Ethernet on which there's a Vax 780 with an Interlan
interface and six IBM PCs with 3COM cards.  We use a locally hacked up
protocol to do file transfer, mail, remote printing, etc.  (It gateways
transparently to uucp, by the way, so that usenet sites albacore, anemone,
chub, alewife, eel, and wahoo are actually these PCs on Ethernet.  But I
digress.)

I'm reasonably happy with the 3COM cards.  They do work, and cramming the
entire interface and the transceiver onto one card was no mean feat.  We
use their thin Ethernet cable to hook up all of the PCs, spliced to a
fairly short piece of regular fat cable for the Vax hookup.  This all
works fine except when somebody steps on the thin cable, since it's not
very rugged.  We should have it all off the floor and into the walls and
ceiling, at which time that problem should go away.  The documentation is
pretty good and we were able to write our own drivers without undue
trouble.  We haven't tried 3COM's software, since we use PC/IX rather
than PC-DOS.

The biggest complaint I have to make about the 3COM cards is that the
throughput is limited by the single buffer on the card.  To receive a
packet, you enable the receiver, and when the packet arrives it's stored
in the on-card buffer.  The card interrupts the host, which commands the
card to DMA the data into the host memory.  After that the host resets
the interface card, and it's prepared to receive again.  Should a packet
arrive during the fairly long interval between the end of the previous
packet and the card's reenabling, it's jammed and lost.  I realize that
the single buffer is due to real estate limitations on the board, but
it's still a pain.

John Levine, ima!johnl

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (04/05/84)

According to the Berkeley document reviewing hardware, the 3Com hardware
is well suited for a single user machine like a PC or small 11.  It makes
the processor do a lot of work (checking for collisions, checking to see
if this packet is for me, etc) that could be done in hardware.  This does
not matter on a single user machine, but on a multi user machine it can
hurt performance.  For a VAX I would want a different board, and I haven't
seen the ideal board yet (but I have high hopes for the Excelan board that's
under development).  In all fairness, Berkeley's comments referred to the
3Com Unibus board, not their PC bus product, but except for the PC product
being DMA (as I gather from the previous article) they are probably similar.

smb@ulysses.UUCP (Steven Bellovin) (04/05/84)

	From: mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton)
	Newsgroups: net.lan
	Subject: Re: Looking for comments on 3COM - (nf)
	Date: Wed, 4-Apr-84 21:19:24 EST

	According to the Berkeley document reviewing hardware, the 3Com hardware
	is well suited for a single user machine like a PC or small 11.  It makes
	the processor do a lot of work (checking for collisions, checking to see
	if this packet is for me, etc) that could be done in hardware.  This does
	not matter on a single user machine, but on a multi user machine it can
	hurt performance.  For a VAX I would want a different board, and I haven't
	seen the ideal board yet (but I have high hopes for the Excelan board that's
	under development).  In all fairness, Berkeley's comments referred to the
	3Com Unibus board, not their PC bus product, but except for the PC product
	being DMA (as I gather from the previous article) they are probably similar.

It is not true (at least not for the UNIBUS model) that the 3Com board requires
the host to examine each packet.  There is a 2-bit field in the CSR that allows
the board to select packets addressed to it, packets addressed to it plus
multicast, packets addressed to it plus broadcast, or all packets.  I don't know
where the story got started,
but I've heard it several times.  The March 15, 1983 version of the Berkeley
hardware guide says nothing about it.

The Berkeley document (and our experience; we've got about a dozen 3Com
UNIBUS boards) lists three disadvantages.  First, it's not DMA.  Instead,
it has 32K bytes of on-board memory which it uses as transmit and receive
buffers.  On a VAX, you have to copy the data to and from this buffer.  Worse
yet, you have to allocate 32K of UNIBUS map space to the buffer; this is
handled poorly by the 4.2bsd software.  (One undocumented consequence is
that if you want to put more than one 3Com controller on the machine, you
have to put them on different UNIBii or put a singularly ugly hack into
the driver.)  I should also note that unlike the PC board, the UNIBUS board
does have multiple receive buffers -- yet another mistaken comment I've heard
in the past.

Second, the board does not do collision backoff and retry; instead, the host
has to do it.  This is admittedly a nuisance.  Berkeley calls it a CPU per-
formance problem if you have many collisions -- but if you have that many
collisions, you're not going to get any throughput on your net.  Remember
that a properly-configured and installed Ethernet won't see many collisions.
3Com cites other folks studies to show that less than .03% of output packets
will encounter collisions.  This is consistent with the numbers I've observed.

Finally, the 3Com board can't receive its own packets.  This calls for software
hackery; worse yet, it prevents certain diagnostic tests from being performed.

		--Steve Bellovin

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (04/06/84)

I stand corrected.  Serves me right for quoting from memory instead
of looking it up to make sure.

	Mark