[rec.music.gaffa] Great, great news!

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/08/89)

Really-From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)

1)  I've got such great news that I can hardly type.  I was just talking
to Mark Hamilton, one of the DJ's at KITS, and here's what he told me:
     A)  He was at some sort of listener's party at Rainbow Records in
S.F. last night, and a representative of CBS Records was there.  The video
for "The Sensual World" was shown, and "Love and Anger" was played.
(God-damn, why did I miss this?  The party had been announced on the air
beforehand; they just didn't say Kate was going to be played.)  The CBS
rep said that "Love and Anger" would be released as the first single
sometime *next week*!
     B)  The single moved up to #10 in this week's British charts.
     C)  He has the promo cassette, and thinks it's "incredible."
     D)  He had the _New Musical Express_ with Kate on the cover in front
of him as we were talking, and he called the interview "very interesting."
     Also, KITS currently has a contest to give away tickets to this
year's Annual Listener Appreciation Party.  Early every day, a song
is played and is announced to be that day's "Party Song".  For the rest
of that day, the first listeners who call in when the "Party Song" is
played get tickets.  Well (and I know you're all ahead of me now),
today's "Party Song" is "The Sensual World"!  Tonight is all-request
Saturday night, so I asked Mr. Hamilton if this contest continued
into that.  He said it did.  "What if nobody requests it?" I asked.
"I don't think you have to worry about that," he said.
     This station is really going all out for the single!  I mentioned
this to him, and he said, "Yeah, we all love it."

2)  Somebody earlier posted the review of the single from _Sounds_, but
I haven't seen anybody post the review from the Sept. 23 issue of _New
Musical Express_.  So I will.  First of all, it's one of two "Singles
of the Week". Sounds good already, doesn't it?  Here's the review:

       You would have to be a very miserable schmuck indeed not to
concede that Kate Bush has made some exceptional disques.  "Running
Up That Hill" springs to mind immediately -- as does her welcome fear
of ever being seen in public once the album hits the Top Three.  Going
about this business privately is something Guns N'Roses should
consider.  Maybe then they could fashion something as charming as this.
       There is always a Gestation Period between first hearing her new
45 and pronouncing it to be another tablet of genius.  But "The Sensual
World" feels good already -- and if the notion of the artiste slipping
a line like, "I take a kiss of seedcake right from his mouth" isn't
enough to make at least half her audience scramble for the Our Price,
then what is?
       A gentle curtain of cathedral bells call the listener in before
Kate enters (and remains) at a very slight kilter.  She's relaxing
(in an afterglow, mayhap) all the way, while an enchanting forest
of oboes, clarinets and strings take at least half the kudos for
the overall effect.
       Like it now, love it tomorrow, and adore it in a few weeks.  This
is _Betty Blue_ on vinyl.

Could somebody explain the reference to "Our Price", please?

There's also an ad for the single in this issue.

3)  More on Sarah McLachlan.

I just saw two more reviews of her album.  _Stereo Review_ didn't like
it, but -- they didn't compare her with Kate!  _Audio_ liked it a lot,
and they said, "She's been influenced by some rock greats:  Peter Gabriel,
Kate Bush, and Jane Siberry, to name just a few."

That's it for now, folks.

Ed (Edward Suranyi)
Dept. of Applied Science, UC Davis/Livermore
ed@das.llnl.gov
Until further notice, I CANNOT reply to mail by UUNET. So don't ask me to.

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/09/89)

Really-From: hansen@cs.wmich.edu ( Jeff Hansen)

[ In previous article, CBS executive refers to "Love and Anger" as first ]
[ US single...                                                           ]

   Does this mean that "The Sensual World" will not be released in the US
as a single, much like the Eurythmics "Beethoven?"  I've been able to
pick up four copies of the two-groove TSW from various places, and saw a
copy (double-grooveness unverified) at Wax Trax Records in Chicago.

[ "What is Our Price?" ]

A record chain in England, not unlike our Incredibly Lame MusicLand and
RecordTown (soon to come: DiscCity!).

On a related note, we've pretty much all been to the trade record shows that
have KB picture discs selling for fifty clams, and other various Japanese
KB things with a selling price a little above a car.  I'm not going to ask
_why_ this stuff is so high (I think the existence of this newsgroup helps
in solving this mystery), I just want to know _what_  I should pay.

For instance: A Kate Bush collector tried to sell me a promo CD copy of
"Cloudbusting."  I mentioned that I had never seen the "normal" realease,
and he sez: "There never was."  But for $125, I can pass.  Is this true?
One more thing: How about a Kate Bush discography?

hansen@cs.wmich.edu|||Away from the pencil sharpener when the bell rings

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/09/89)

Really-From: riley@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Daniel S. Riley)

In some article or other, ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi) writes:
[...]
>I just saw two more reviews of her album.  _Stereo Review_ didn't like
>it, but -- they didn't compare her with Kate!  _Audio_ liked it a lot,
>and they said, "She's been influenced by some rock greats:  Peter Gabriel,
>Kate Bush, and Jane Siberry, to name just a few."

OhMyKaTe!  Someone in the press actually thinks Jane is a "rock great"?
Cool.  Though, actually, I'm not sure I'd call here a "rock great"--just
great.

But not as good as Kate.  I wish I could convince my turntable to drop into
the vocal groove of TSW everytime.

-Dan Riley (riley@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu, cornell!batcomputer!riley)
-Wilson Lab, Cornell U.

ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi) (10/10/89)

>Really-From: hansen@cs.wmich.edu ( Jeff Hansen)
>
>[ In previous article, CBS executive refers to "Love and Anger" as first ]
>[ US single...                                                           ]
>
>   Does this mean that "The Sensual World" will not be released in the US
>as a single, much like the Eurythmics "Beethoven?"  I've been able to
>pick up four copies of the two-groove TSW from various places, and saw a
>copy (double-grooveness unverified) at Wax Trax Records in Chicago.

Yes, I believe that this is exactly what this means.  It's always possible
that CBS will release "The Sensual World" later, but it won't be the
first single.  I was just happy that they seemed to be making some sort
of effort at all!

By the way, that great KFJC Kate-fan DJ "Holden Caulfield" played
"The Big Sky" (M. mix) this morning.  He had to leave early, so a
DJ I'd never heard of called Bill Lindsay took over half Holden's show.
He turns out to be a Kate fan too!  He played "Walk Straight Down The
Middle" and "Passing Through Air".  He said:
    "Something very old and something very new from Kate Bush. We heard
'Passing Through Air', which was recorded in 1973 when Kate was fourteen
years old.  Before that, we heard 'Walk Straight Down The Middle', which
is from her new twelve-inch single called 'The Sensual World'.  That song
won't be on the LP, but [it] will be on the cassette and CD.  I'm not
allowed to play anything that's really from the album yet, but I can
give you some information.  Mick Karn plays on a track called 'Heads
We're Dancing', and David Gilmour plays on a really heavy track called
'Rocket's Tail.'"

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/10/89)

Really-From: David Datta <datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu>

In article <640@cs.wmich.edu> you write:
>in solving this mystery), I just want to know _what_  I should pay.
>
>For instance: A Kate Bush collector tried to sell me a promo CD copy of
>"Cloudbusting."  I mentioned that I had never seen the "normal" realease,
>and he sez: "There never was."  But for $125, I can pass.  Is this true?
>One more thing: How about a Kate Bush discography?

Well, as far as the Cloudbusting CD single, I paid about $50.00 for it
about 3 months ago, I got it from a place in New York called 'AB-CD',
their number is 212-645-2409. I have seen it advertised for about $50
to as much as $200. This might be a good place to ask about prices.
Other than the Cloudbusting single, I haven't purchased any of the
"collecter" stuff, I am sure others will help supply the rest of the
info.

--
-Dave datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/10/89)

Really-From: nv89-pyl@nada.kth.se (Patrik Yle'n)

From nv89-pyl Sat Sep 23 18:46:42 1989
To: nv89-aro
Subject: Kom det fram?

H{r har du brevet,kom det Fram?

From nv89-pyl Sat Sep 30 16:46:47 1989
To: daemon@eddie.MIT.EDU
Subject: Love-hounds?

Hi there!
Talk about being shocked! Last week when I started my first programming course he
here at the RIT in Stockholm, I tried out Usenet for the first time. The first
thing I did was to list all the groups available
to me. And one of the groups was rather strangely named: rec.music.gaffa. I, of
course, checked it out to see if it was some kind of joke perhaps, but it wasn't
, it was a whole group dedicated to Kate Bush, my all-time favourite singer/dandan-
cer/songwriter/choreographer/producer etc. !

I've read about Love-hounds in HG, but never actually dreamed of being able to
participate myself, but now it doesn't seem that impossible anymore!
My real name is Patrik Ylen, and I'm 18 years old. I live in a suburb of
Stockholm called Huddinge, with approx. 75 000 inhabitants.

From nv89-pyl Sat Sep 30 16:54:12 1989
To: daemon@eddie.MIT.EDU
Subject: I'm sorry...

I'm really sorry about that half-finished letter you just recieved from
me, I'm not really used to the editor we're using yet, and I sent by
mistake. (sent IT by mistake!)
Anyway, you'll recieve a *finished* letter from me soon. (When I've
gotten used to this editor.)

Again, I'm really sorry...

nv89-pyl@nada.kth.se (Patrik Ylen)

From nv89-pyl Thu Oct  5 19:54:46 1989
To: koniak@caesar.IngE.se
Subject: Hej!

Tjenare Koniak, jag kan tyv{rr inte komma p} Squtt, jag har inte r}d...

From MAILER-DAEMON@sunic.sunet.se Thu Oct  5 19:54:57 1989
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 89 19:54:51 +0100
From: Mail Delivery Subsystem  <MAILER-DAEMON@sunic.sunet.se>
Subject: Returned mail: Host unknown
To: nv89-pyl@nada.kth.se
Cc: Postmaster@sunic.sunet.se

  ERROR:  host caesar.inge.se not in routing tables

554 <koniak@caesar.IngE.se>... 550 Host unknown (Authoritative answer from name server)

Tjenare Koniak, jag kan tyv{rr inte komma p} Squtt, jag har inte r}d...

From nv89-rbi Fri Oct  6 23:21:26 1989
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 89 23:21:25 +0100
From: nv89-rbi@nada.kth.se (Ron Birk)
To: nv89-pyl@nada.kth.se
Subject: Brev odyl

Ser att du f}tt ordning p} din ".plan"

D{r st}r det att du vill ha brev, so why not?...

From nv89-pyl Sun Oct  8 15:00:14 1989
To: gaffa-post@eddie.mit.edu
Subject: Hi there!

Talk about being shocked, last month when I stared my programming
courses here at the RIT, I checked out USENET. One of the groups
was called rec.music.gaffa, and I thought that sounded rather familiar.
I entered the group, and it was a group dedicated to Kate Bush, my
all-time favourite singer/songwriter/producer etc. !!!

I had read about Love-hounds in HG, but never actually thought I'd
be able to get in touch with it, but now it appears I can!
Maybe I should tell you something about myself:
I am 18 years old and I live in a suburb to Stockholm called Huddinge
which has about 75000 inhabitants. I've just started a four-year
long education at the University of Stockholm called "Matematisk-
naturvetenskaplig linje", which translates to something like
"Mathematical and scientific line". That probably sounds rather
wierd, but it means that I read lots of different maths courses
and a lot of computer science. When I'm not studying or listening
to Kate, I play tennis,pool,practice archery,Aikido or something else.

How does love-hounds work? I mean, do you have to be a member or some-
thing like that?

nv89-pyl@nada.kth.se       (Patrik Yle'n)

From nv89-pyl Sun Oct  8 15:04:09 1989
To: nv89-rbi
Subject: Brev...

Du ville visst ocks} ha brev, s} h{r har du ett...

From nv89-rbi Sun Oct  8 23:19:12 1989
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 89 23:19:10 +0100
From: nv89-rbi@nada.kth.se (Ron Birk)
To: nv89-pyl@nada.kth.se
Subject: Brev Igen

Alltid lika skojigt med brev! Hur g}r det med labben?

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/13/89)

Really-From: nv89-pyl@nada.kth.se (Patrik Yle'n)

It seems my mailbox decided to take a hike recently. I hope everybody
who understands Swedish enjoys it.  :-)