[rec.music.gaffa] Is Kate Bush the only thing discussed here?

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/06/89)

Really-From: caeco!i-core!pete@uunet.UU.NET (Pete Ashdown)

I checked into this news group a month ago to see what kind of
progressive music discussion was discussed here.  All I found was talk
of Kate Bush's new album.  I figured, "No problem, I'll check in
later." So I did and I still find Kate Bush babble.  Aren't you guys
taking the description (ie: Kate Bush, etc.) a little literally?  I
mean, Kate Bush is good, but does she really deserve to have a whole
newsgroup dedicated to her?  I went to alt.postmodern and posted about
a few concerts that I had seen recently and all I got back was
philosophy about the definition of postmodern.

Am I completely alone on this?  Does anyone care to discuss the
happenings of groups like The Pixies, The Primitives, Throwing Muses,
and They Might Be Giants?

Could someone change the 'official' description to something more
generic (ie: remove Kate Bush)?

--
(^\__/^)    pete@i-core.uucp  uunet!iconsys!caeco!i-core
/ . .  \  <=== BEWARE!  The Snugglesoft Bear!

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/06/89)

Really-From: timo@Apple.COM (Timo)

In article <1989Oct5.212210.20294@i-core.UUCP> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: caeco!i-core!pete@uunet.UU.NET (Pete Ashdown)
>

> I mean, Kate Bush is good, but...
                       ^^^^

Must be a typo. There are too many o's in that word.

timo
Timo Bruck - Software Navigator                        | My fish, were it still
AppleLink: Timo                                        | alive, would share my
Internet:  timo@apple.com                              | opinions, but I doubt
UUCP:      {amdcad,decwrl,hoptoad,nsc,sun}!apple!timo  | anyone else (even
Day Phone: 408/974-3319                                | Apple) would.

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/07/89)

Really-From: swmpthng@athena.mit.edu (Tim Stellmach)

The person who posted this is definitely going to see some
less-than-entusiastic responses from the Love-Hounds... Be kind,
please.

>does she really deserve to have a whole newsgroup dedicated to her?

Any subject that generates enough discussion _does_ deserve to have an
entire newsgroup.  No lack of that here.  In fairness, "Kate Bush,
etc." includes short, tangential discussions of Peter Gabriel, anyone
else who's worked with/influenced/been influenced by KT, those who
sound like Kate Bush (e.g. Danielle Dax), and (in even shorter, more
tangential discussions) other topics in progressive music.

>Am I completely alone on this?  Does anyone care to discuss the
>happenings of groups like The Pixies, The Primitives, Throwing Muses,
>and They Might Be Giants?

You're not alone in this _as_such_.  I wish there were a decent place
to discuss these groups --- but don't expect anyone here to want to
give Rec.music.gaffa over to it.

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/07/89)

Really-From: donley@blake.acs.washington.edu (Erik Olson)

>Really-From: caeco!i-core!pete@uunet.UU.NET (Pete Ashdown)
>

>I checked into this news group a month ago to see what kind of
>progressive music discussion was discussed here.  All I found was talk
>of Kate Bush's new album.  I figured, "No problem, I'll check in
Have you ever looked at Rec.arts.startrek?  You'll find 10x the volume
just in discussion of the newest episode of _TNG_ when it comes out.

>mean, Kate Bush is good, but does she really deserve to have a whole
>newsgroup dedicated to her?
Yeah, if enough people have the interest to post.

>Am I completely alone on this?  Does anyone care to discuss the
>happenings of groups like The Pixies, The Primitives, Throwing Muses,
>and They Might Be Giants?
Yes, you will probably find the posting volume will go down in a year or so,
once the album's been out a while, and the other discussions will seem to
take up all the space (I seem to remember a time when XTC was on every
header for about a month or so).

Why don't you post something about these, and see if you get some interest?
I would personally like to hear from sone of the Jane Siberry fans ,
but they apparently need to stay in the closet lest they be trampled on by the
rabid "Kate Bush is God.  All the rest suck" crowd.  You will find, though,
that most of the people will talk about other music too.

>Could someone change the 'official' description to something more
>generic (ie: remove Kate Bush)?
Well, considering that |>oug came up with the original mailing list, and
had at least something to do with the creation of the double-gated
newsgroup, it would be up to HIM, and I think I know what his answer would
be (and would agree with it! -- Of course, that's assuming something about
what a person would say, and I could get flamed for that). :-|

  - Erik Donley Olson
    (Eo)
   "Pay here chimpanzee Don't park under the aviary"  - Adrian Belew

ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi) (10/07/89)

>Really-From: donley@blake.acs.washington.edu (Erik Olson)

>I would personally like to hear from sone of the Jane Siberry fans ,
>but they apparently need to stay in the closet lest they be trampled on by the
>rabid "Kate Bush is God.  All the rest suck" crowd.

>  - Erik Donley Olson

I don't think anyone who has read this newsgroup regularly over the last
few months can possibly have any doubts about how I feel about Kate Bush.
But I'm also a big fan of Jane Siberry's.  I have almost all of her
albums.  She was interviewed about nine months ago on _Totally Wired_,
a public radio show, and I taped it.

The point is that Kate Bush IS God, but all the rest don't necessarily
suck.

Ed (Edward Suranyi)
Dept. of Applied Science, UC Davis/Livermore
ed@das.llnl.gov
Until further notice, I CANNOT reply to mail by UUNET. So don't ask me to.

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/12/89)

Really-From: Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu>

This newsgroup/mailing-list was created for Kate Bush fans.  However,
discussion of any interesting music or art is encouraged.  The Pixies,
Throwing Muses, They Might Be Giants, The Butthole Surfers, and
Scraping Foetus off the Wheel are all bands I'd encourage people to
discuss here.

Your humble pseudo-moderator,

Really-From: Alexander Verkooijen <atverko@cs.vu.nl>

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:

>Really-From: Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu>

>This newsgroup/mailing-list was created for Kate Bush fans.  However,
>discussion of any interesting music or art is encouraged.  The Pixies,
>Throwing Muses, They Might Be Giants, The Butthole Surfers, and
>Scraping Foetus off the Wheel are all bands I'd encourage people to
>discuss here.

Well, in that case, anyone in for a discussion about
the latest album of Metallica?
Let's start with the following question :
Why did they make the clip 'One' and not '...and justice for all'
or 'Eye of the beholder'. It seems to me that those gigs would be a
much better choice.

                                  Alexander

--
Leather and metal are our uniforms,
protecting what we are.

'Metal Militia' from the album 'Kill 'em all', Metallica 1986.

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/13/89)

Really-From: robinson@islnds.dec.com

In article <8910112112.AA12983@GAFFA.MIT.EDU>, Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes...
>Really-From: Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu>
>
>This newsgroup/mailing-list was created for Kate Bush fans.  However,
>discussion of any interesting music or art is encouraged.  The Pixies,
>Throwing Muses, They Might Be Giants, The Butthole Surfers, and
>Scraping Foetus off the Wheel are all bands I'd encourage people to
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So does anyone have any info on the new double-live disc?

will		decwrl!islnds.enet.dec.com!robinson

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/14/89)

Really-From: John Precedo <jp@doc.ic.ac.uk>

In article <3676@draak.cs.vu.nl> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: Alexander Verkooijen <atverko@cs.vu.nl>
>
>>Really-From: Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu>
>>This newsgroup/mailing-list was created for Kate Bush fans.  However,
>>discussion of any interesting music or art is encouraged...
>Well, in that case, anyone in for a discussion about
>the latest album of Metallica?

Much as I like Metallica (I own the said album), I don't really think this is
the right forum for discussing them. I think it would be more suited to
rec.music.misc.

By the way - there is a track on the new Aerosmith album called "Jamie's got
a gun". I wonder if there's any connection to "James and the cold gun"?

>                                  Alexander
>--
>Leather and metal are our uniforms,
>protecting what we are.
>
>'Metal Militia' from the album 'Kill 'em all', Metallica 1986.

--John
  (Who likes the quote - kind of defines the way I dress!)

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/14/89)

Really-From: Alexander Verkooijen <atverko@cs.vu.nl>

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:

>Much as I like Metallica (I own the said album), I don't really think this is
>the right forum for discussing them. I think it would be more suited to
>rec.music.misc.

I know this isn't the right place to discuss Metallica, I just
wanted to drive all those Kate Bush fans crazy.

                                 Alexander

--

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/16/89)

In article <3720@draak.cs.vu.nl> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: Alexander Verkooijen <atverko@cs.vu.nl>
>Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>>Much as I like Metallica (I own the said album), I don't really think this is
>>the right forum for discussing them. I think it would be more suited to
>>rec.music.misc.
>I know this isn't the right place to discuss Metallica, I just
>wanted to drive all those Kate Bush fans crazy.

Don't bother! Won't drive me crazy 'cos I like 'em.  Everyone else is already
crazy after listening to |>oug vs IED (Round 345342432). And listening to
Jon :-)

>                                 Alexander
>--
>Leather and metal are our uniforms,    <------Have you ever seen me at work?
>protecting what we are.

--John
John Precedo, Imperial College, Huxley Building, 180 Queens Gate, London SW7 2BZ
JANET : jp@doc.ic.ac.uk		...It's been such a long week...

kimy@unc.cs.unc.edu (Yong-Mi Kim) (10/16/89)

]
]I checked into this news group a month ago to see what kind of
]progressive music discussion was discussed here.  All I found was talk
]of Kate Bush's new album.  I figured, "No problem, I'll check in
]later." So I did and I still find Kate Bush babble.  Aren't you guys
]taking the description (ie: Kate Bush, etc.) a little literally?  I
]mean, Kate Bush is good, but does she really deserve to have a whole
]newsgroup dedicated to her?

Actually, if you look closely there is discussion going on other
topics besides Kate Bush: other "alternative" female artists such
as Jane Siberry, Sinead O'Connor, Enya and so on.  I actually
like the name of the newsgroup, since I think it encourages discussion
of women artists, while the other newsgroups concentrate on
interminable discussions on Pink Floyd and Rush.
Any k.d. lang fans out there?
Also, anybody secretly believe that Michelle Shocked and k.d. lang
were "separated at birth" (copyright Spy magazine)?

Went to the Pixies concert here in Chapel Hill last night.  Walked
out around the middle of the show, couldn't get into it - mostly
because of the crowd, who were loud and drunk and obviously not
there to listen to the music.
	      it takes forever if you go by inertia
	      no time if you don't believe in time
		    Jane Siberry  "The Very Large Hat"