[rec.music.gaffa] Guardian interview with Kate - Term Def Request

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/13/89)

Really-From: datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu (David Datta)

In article <8910121754.AA02618@ginkgo> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: nbc%INF.RL.AC.UK@mitvma.mit.edu
>...Perhaps, with the charts stuffed with House, Kylie or heavy metal.....
                                                 ^^^^^

Would someone please define this term?

Thanx in advance
--
-Dave datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/14/89)

Really-From: Jon Drukman <jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU>

>Really-From: datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu (David Datta)
>
>>Really-From: nbc%INF.RL.AC.UK@mitvma.mit.edu
>>...Perhaps, with the charts stuffed with House, Kylie or heavy metal.....
>                                                 ^^^^^
>Would someone please define this term?

Kylie is Kylie Minogue, another one of SAW (Stock-Aitken-Waterman)'s
ridiculous musical acts.  SAW are a trio of producers with exactly one
bass line, and probably less than one good musical idea.  They take
these no-mind bozos and pump out some crass pseudo-disco shite for
them to "sing" over.  She and Jason Donovan are the subject of a song
by the KLF ("Kylie Said To Jason") which mentions Rolf Harris, Sun
ARise, and digeridus!  Probably the only pop song I've ever heard that
did this.  Having said this, Kylie's version of "The Loco-Motion" was
marginally entertaining.

Someone far cleverer than I once called Kylie and Jason "the cultural
equivalent of the AIDS virus."

PS to IED:  Thanks for that comment about the British music press.
I know you didn't mean it in a complimentary way, but I took it as one
anyway because my goal in life is to write like that...

--
+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? ----------------------+
|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | "I like George Bush, but this `kinder,  |

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/15/89)

Really-From: nv89-pyl@nada.kth.se (Patrik Yle'n)

I must say that I'm truly amazed that somebody could not have heard
about Kylie Minogue. She is right now every european twelve-year-
olds favourite, with hits like 'Hand on your Heart' and 'I should
be so lucky'. (Pretty dreadful stuff really.) She is, together
with some other artists of her like, (Bananarama for instance)
the main income-source for producers Stock,Aitken and Waterman,
who produce about one hit every two hours.
Kylie comes from Australia, where she originally was an actress
in a soap called 'Neighbours'.

nv89-pyl@nada.kth.se   (Patrik Yle'n)

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/16/89)

Really-From: munnari!cs.su.oz.au!gregr@uunet.UU.NET (Greg Ryan)

In article <462@uwm.edu>  datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu (David Datta)
>In article <8910121754.AA02618@ginkgo> nbc%INF.RL.AC.UK@mitvma.mit.edu
>>Really-From: nbc%INF.RL.AC.UK@mitvma.mit.edu
>>...Perhaps, with the charts stuffed with House, Kylie or heavy metal.....
                                                  ^^^^^
>Would someone please define this term?

Stock, Aitken and Waterman in their guise as Kylie Minogue.

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/17/89)

Really-From: munnari!wraith.cs.uow.oz.au!stephen@uunet.UU.NET (The Mighty Ogbo)

In article <2067@draken.nada.kth.se>, Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
> Really-From: nv89-pyl@nada.kth.se (Patrik Yle'n)
>

> I must say that I'm truly amazed that somebody could not have heard
> about Kylie Minogue. She is right now every european twelve-year-
> olds favourite, with hits like 'Hand on your Heart' and 'I should
> be so lucky'. (Pretty dreadful stuff really.)

Agreed here. Most Australians will cringe and hide under tables at the
mere mention of Kylie Minogue's or Jason Donovan's name. The most amusing
thing about them is that they claim every os often to be 'serious artists'.
Bollocks!!

> Kylie comes from Australia, where she originally was an actress
> in a soap called 'Neighbours'.

Yes, this is now the favourite soap in Britain. I thought the people from the
UK had far more taste. She wasn't a very good actress either.

I have no idea how Kate and Kylie could share space on the record charts.
There's no real contest there. Kate is a musician and meaningful. Kylie is
popular, but who cares :-)

Stephen Nicholson (The Mighty Ogbo)                    stephen@wraith.cs.uow.oz

"I'll bet you're the sort of bloke who pulls his undies out of his bum with his
 finger when he's talking to someone..." - Black Alice - "Sons of Steel"