[rec.music.gaffa] a few questions

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/30/89)

Really-From: "Daniel S. Efran" <de0t+@andrew.cmu.edu>

Sorry if these have been answered already, but...
1.  In Breathing, they say "We are all going to die
_without.....(something)_"
What's the end of that line?  They do it quite a few times.
2.  Has Kate _ever_ been seen on a stage in the United States?
3.  Is there a poster of the Kick Inside cover?
4.  Is Kate's Ninth Wave related to Sting's (Love is the) Seventh Wave?
If so, what's the reference to?  (I assume it's literary)
5.  Is there anybody on here who hasn't bought Enya's Watermark album
yet?  If so, go buy it immediately.  Some of it's in English & some
isn't, but it's all incredibly good and quite in the league of the
Goddess.  You've probably heard of the hit single Oronico Flow, but some
of the other tracks are even better--Storms in Africa is my personal
favorite.  Anybody else have any comments on the album?
6.  Is Kate Bush the female Peter Gabriel or is Peter Gabriel the male
Kate Bush?
7.  Either way, couldn't the two of them have come up with a better song
than Don't Give Up?  Two of the most imaginative (read: strange)
songwriters of the century collaborate to produce one of the least
interesting songs either one has ever written?  I don't get it.
8.  Has anyone heard Kate's guest vox on the song Sister and Brother on
Midge Ure's album Answers to Nothing?  It's pretty cool.
9.  Does anyone know of any other KT guest vox that are worth having?
10.  Can anyone help me think of a tenth question?  I guess nine is
enough--one for each wave.

				--The Sphere (aka Dan Efran)
"Every little thing she does is magic, everything she do just turns me
on."  --The Police
(note the deliberate grammatical error!  Also, in the song Message in a
Bottle, when Sting sings "anuzzer lonely day, no-one here but me-o" the
sheet music actually says "anuzzer"!  Weird.)
P.S.  What do people think about Tangerine Dream?  Their newest stuff is
almost as bad as their earliest, but from about 1978 to about 1986 (from
Tangram to Underwater Sunlight, roughly) they were incredible.  Does
anybody know if they have a new third member yet, since Chris Franke
left?
P.P.S.  Thank you so much for posting the lyrics to Kiew Mission (on
TD's Exit album).  I've been trying to figure that out for years.  I
figured it was russian, but I got stuck there since I don't speak
russian.
P.P.P.S.  To me, saying that the new KT album is more like the first
side of HoL than the second just means it doesn't have many songs about
dead or dying people.

ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi) (10/03/89)

In article <4Z96LXG00Uo140VERI@andrew.cmu.edu> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: "Daniel S. Efran" <de0t+@andrew.cmu.edu>

>2.  Has Kate _ever_ been seen on a stage in the United States?

Well, sort of.  She was on Saturday Night Live once in 1978 (I think).
She was invited by Eric Idle of Monty Python, who was hosting the show,
and she sang "Them Heavy People", and "The Man With the Child in His
Eyes."  As far as I know this show was only repeated once.

>3.  Is there a poster of the Kick Inside cover?

Maybe, though I haven't been able to find one.  The closest I've found is
a black and white version of the poster that was up all over London to
promote that album.  You know, where she's wearing skin-tight clothes.

>4.  Is Kate's Ninth Wave related to Sting's (Love is the) Seventh Wave?
>If so, what's the reference to?  (I assume it's literary)

I have no idea what Sting is refering to, but "The Ninth Wave" is a quote
from a Tennyson poem.  The complete quote appears on the back of the
album.  Kate has said that "A lot of people think that side was inspired
by the poem, but really it was completely the other way around.  I was
just looking through books and magazines trying to find a title, and that
particular quote seemed quite appropriate."

>5.  Is there anybody on here who hasn't bought Enya's Watermark album
>yet?  If so, go buy it immediately.  Some of it's in English & some
>isn't, but it's all incredibly good and quite in the league of the
>Goddess.  You've probably heard of the hit single Oronico Flow, but some
>of the other tracks are even better--Storms in Africa is my personal
>favorite.  Anybody else have any comments on the album?

I also this this album is terrific.  I personally like "Cursum Perficio",
which is sung in Latin.

>8.  Has anyone heard Kate's guest vox on the song Sister and Brother on
>Midge Ure's album Answers to Nothing?  It's pretty cool.

I have this album, and I've even heard "Sister and Brother" on the radio
once.  It's pretty good, but IMHO it doesn't compare at all with Kate's
own work.

>9.  Does anyone know of any other KT guest vox that are worth having?

Well, since you've mentioned Peter Gabriel, I suppose you know that the
very prominent female vocalist on his song "Games Without Frontiers" (from
his third LP) is Kate.  She also sings backing vocals on "No Self
Control", from the same album.

Also, she sings on Roy Harper's song "You (The Game), Part 2", if I've got
the title right.

>				--The Sphere (aka Dan Efran)

I've got a few more brief points to add:

In the current issue of _Spin_ magazine, the results of a readers' poll
are announced.  Kate came in at number eight on the list of "Most Dateable
Babes"!

Steve Masters played TSW on his show "The Import Hour" last night, and
called it "The most beautiful import single."

Today another KITS DJ played it, and afterwards said, "That's the latest
from Kate Bush, called 'The Sensual World'.  Kate's a personality of near
mythic proportions in the UK.  She's not quite so big here, but -- we
love her anyway!"

I always love to hear people say good things about Kate, and I hope others
who read this newsgroup do too.

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/03/89)

Really-From: jsd@gaffa.mit.edu (Jon Drukman)

>Really-From: "Daniel S. Efran" <de0t+@andrew.cmu.edu>
>
>Sorry if these have been answered already, but...
>1.  In Breathing, they say "We are all going to die
>_without.....(something)_"
>What's the end of that line?  They do it quite a few times.

You're hallucinating.  That _is_ the whole line, according to
my ears and my CD booklet.

>2.  Has Kate _ever_ been seen on a stage in the United States?

Badly phrased!  I live in the US, and I watched the tour video, so I
guess she's been seen on a stage in the US.  To answer your question
the way you intended it: she was on Saturday Night Live a million
years ago.  Does that count?

>3.  Is there a poster of the Kick Inside cover?

I've never seen one.  There may well be.  Which cover do you mean?
There are four different ones that I can think of.

>4.  Is Kate's Ninth Wave related to Sting's (Love is the) Seventh Wave?
>If so, what's the reference to?  (I assume it's literary)

Hell No!  It's from Tennyson's "The Coming Of Arthur" according
to the back of the album cover.

>5.  Is there anybody on here who hasn't bought Enya's Watermark album
>yet?

Yes.

>6.  Is Kate Bush the female Peter Gabriel or is Peter Gabriel the male
>Kate Bush?

Neither.  They are the same person using a lot of makeup and special
sound processors on their vocal tracks.

>7.  Either way, couldn't the two of them have come up with a better song
>than Don't Give Up?  Two of the most imaginative (read: strange)
>songwriters of the century collaborate to produce one of the least
>interesting songs either one has ever written?  I don't get it.

The female vocal part was originally written for Dolly Parton.  She
didn't do it at the last moment, obviously.  Kate stepped in.  Check
out the Bush/Gabriel duet "Another Day" (if you can find it!) if you
don't like "Don't Give Up."  Also, I'm sure you _do_ know that Kate sings
backup on "Games Without Frontiers" and "No Self Control," both on
PG's 3rd LP.

>8.  Has anyone heard Kate's guest vox on the song Sister and Brother on
>Midge Ure's album Answers to Nothing?  It's pretty cool.

Dunno.  Never heard it.  Ure gives me hives.

>9.  Does anyone know of any other KT guest vox that are worth having?

I may draw flames, but I like her appearance on "The Seer" by Big
Country.  She kicks ass, as she always does.

>10.  Can anyone help me think of a tenth question?  I guess nine is
>enough--one for each wave.

You didn't ask what the significance of "gaffa" was!
(NB: Do _NOT_ ask this question.  People will not like you if you do.
The line above was a rare example of my frivolity.)

+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? --------------------+
|  |   |\        | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | "Please, Al, the fat and unattractive|
| \|on |/rukman  | jsd@umass.bitnet  |  have rights too!" -- Steve Rhodes   |

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/05/89)

Really-From: portal!cup.portal.com!Henry_Burdett_Messenger@apple.com

subj: a few questions

"Daniel S. Efran" <de0t+@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> P.S.  What do people think about Tangerine Dream?  Their newest stuff is
> almost as bad as their earliest, but from about 1978 to about 1986 (from
> Tangram to Underwater Sunlight, roughly) they were incredible.  Does
> anybody know if they have a new third member yet, since Chris Franke
> left?

	I'm kind of a Tadream-head, so my opinion is suspect. However,
	I think they're a "hugely important sociological phenomenon."

	By "their newest stuff" I presume you mean the two newest studio
	albums ("Tyger" and "Optical Race"). While I will admit that "Tyger"
	is very weak (didn't they learn anything from "Cyclone"? No vocals.
	enn-ohh-vee-ohh-cee-ay-ell-ess. NO VOCALS!), "Optical Race" isn't too
	bad, particularly "Mothers of Rain".

	On the other hand, they released another album in between "Tyger"
	and "Optical Race" called "Livemiles". "Livemiles" is a live
	recording: one side is the North American tour ("Underwater Sunlight")
	and the other side is a performance they gave at the 750th
	anniversary of the founding of Berlin. "Livemiles" is another
	incredibly brilliant live performance by the pioneers of synth-rock.

	They have also released several soundtrack albums in that timeframe:
	"Three O'Clock High", "Shy People", "Miracle Mile", "Near Dark" and
	others. I personally think that their soundtrack work is the weakest
	material they do, but I think that "Miracle Mile" and "Near Dark" are
	much better than "Tyger" and "Optical Race". Go figure.

	Yes, they have a new third member since Franke left -- I saw him
	on the "Optical Race" tour, but they never announced his name.
	Since Franke played the rhythm (not percussion) tracks, they're
	really missing that "crunch" he gave them... btw, Franke is
	working at a synthesizer company in Colorado.
				- hbm
Henry B. Messenger                    henry_burdett_messenger@cup.portal.com
Digital Equipment Corporation isn't responsible for anything I say on USENET

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/20/89)

Really-From: "Daniel S. Efran" <de0t+@andrew.cmu.edu>

I agree, Livemiles is much better than Optical Race.  Tyger is
pathetically bad--and I even LIKED the lyrics on cyclone (although I
don't understand them--I think "rising runner" is a reference to the
slope of a line (rise over run), but I don't have a clue about "endless
sender".)
I thought the tour before Optical Race was better--they seemed more like
they were doing something.  I don't go to a concert to watch about 10
atari CRT's.  The huge racks of equipment they had on the previous tour
were much cooler looking.
Does there exist a recording of the main theme to Legend?  It's kind of
on the soundtrack album, but not really (It's buried behind a
meaningless vocal at the end of "Loved by the Sun" (the Jon Anderson
song that sounds like all other Jon Anderson songs, only more so).  They
played it as an encore on the North America tour (the one before O.R.),
so I ran out and got the album.  Very frustrating.
Part of the problem with their new stuff is the missing rhythm by
Franke--the sequenced percussion tracks just don't measure up...they
sound like sequenced percussion tracks.  Also, the melodies (what's left
of them) are sounding more ethnic and less alien.  Compare a track on
Miracle Mile or Optical Race with one on Exit or Ricochet.
Besides, when all their synthesizers were analog, they relied more on
music--it seems that now they put more attention on "sounds"--samples
and synth patches--than on melody or harmony.  Even Livemiles has this
problem, although it's closer than Optical Race.

By the way, I just noticed that I'm wearing my Optical Race tour t-shirt
today.  Even the clothing from the North American tour was better (it
was unified...it all had the TD-circle logo from the Tyger album cover.
The OR stuff was all different, and just had random colors and shapes).

				--The "Music of the" Sphere