[rec.music.gaffa] Kali

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/17/89)

Really-From: munnari!ditmela.oz.au!Brian.May@uunet.UU.NET (Brian May)

Just a small note on Kali:

Kali is the seventh incarnation of THE god Vishnu, in the Hindu religion.  This
incarnation signifies the "end of the world as we know it" when Kali gets on his
white horse for a bit of a canter.  If you want to know more & read a good book at
the same time, pick up Gore Vidal's 'Kalki'.

Om shanti,

Brian May

PS there is *one* music reference in there!

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/26/89)

Really-From: newman@frith.egr.msu.edu (Timothy S Newman)

In article <7602@ditmela.oz> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: munnari!ditmela.oz.au!Brian.May@uunet.UU.NET (Brian May)
>

>Just a small note on Kali:
>
>Kali is the seventh incarnation of THE god Vishnu, in the Hindu religion.  This
>incarnation signifies the "end of the world as we know it" when Kali gets on his
>white horse for a bit of a canter.  If you want to know more & read a good book at
>the same time, pick up Gore Vidal's 'Kalki'.

Do you mean the tenth incarnation, Kalki?  Kali is a goddess
who is an incarnation of Durga.  Kali is one of the wives of
Shiva.

This comes via Tim Newman but from Sushil, Eastern Indian Expert
on Theology.