[rec.music.gaffa] Why moderated?

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/25/89)

Really-From: Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu>

> From: tynor%prism@gatech.edu (Steve Tynor)

> A related question: is there any reason why this group needs to be
> moderated?  (If it wasn't, then we wouldn't have this problem...)
> |>oug, what has been the track record of submissions? Have you had
> to censor [any | some] articles?

The reason why the newsgroup is moderated is because it is really the
Love-Hounds mailing list which is gatewayed to Usenet as
"rec.music.gaffa".  It is the mailing list which is the primary form.
I arranged to gateway Love-Hounds originally because of problems
getting mail to lots of people who were on uucp-only sites.  I
actively moderated the newsgroup for a while because putting the
mailing list on Usenet degraded its quality, but the cost of active
moderation was an undue amount of my time and a serious degradation in
bandwidth of the mailing list.

Sometimes I still take the mailing list off of autopilot when things
get out of hand.  Fortunately, it doesn't happen too often, however.

|>oug

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/28/89)

Really-From: Jimmy Liberato <amdahl!drivax!liberato@ames.arc.nasa.gov>

In rec.music.gaffa you write:

>Really-From: Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu>

>The reason why the newsgroup is moderated is because it is really the
>Love-Hounds mailing list which is gatewayed to Usenet as
>"rec.music.gaffa".  It is the mailing list which is the primary form.

Does this mean that if I post to rec.music.gaffa that many will not
receive the article?  Should I mail to Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU
instead.  I notice that there are about 5% unmoderated postings received
at my site.  They are distinguished by a person's name as sender rather
than Love-Hounds.  I'm sorry if this is an often repeated question, I
have been reading gaffa for several months but have not seen any posted
instructions.  Could you publicly clarify the best procedure.

Thanks!

--
Jimmy Liberato   ...!amdahl!drivax!liberato
     "My life is conventional and uneventful.  It allows me to think with

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (11/01/89)

Really-From: Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu>

> Does this mean that if I post to rec.music.gaffa that many will not
> receive the article?  Should I mail to Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU
> instead.  [...]  Could you publicly clarify the best procedure.

Your posting should get to me in either case.  But if you post to the
newsgroup, the article has to go through more complicated software and
a more cicuitous route.  This brings on a lot more potential for
something to go wrong, so the best way to get the posting to me is to
mail to "Love-Hounds@eddie.mit.edu".

Your humble pseudo-moderator,
|>oug

henk@cs.eur.nl (Henk Langeveld) (11/02/89)

In rec.music.gaffa you write:

>Really-From: Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu>

>> receive the article?  Should I mail to Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU
	[ ... ]
>something to go wrong, so the best way to get the posting to me is to
>mail to "Love-Hounds@eddie.mit.edu".

>Your humble pseudo-moderator,
>|>oug

Isn't it possible to put the name of the author of a message in the
From: line, with love-hounds in a Sender: line ?   I would like to see
whose message it is I'm ignoring, before I skip it...

Henk
--
Henk Langeveld, Unix SysAdmin	| domain: <henk@cs.eur.nl>
Department of Computer Science	| phone:  +31 10 4081346