[rec.music.gaffa] Nice To Swallow

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/23/89)

Really-From: Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu>

I got inspired last night and pulled down all my boxes of Kate Bush
paraphilnalia (I hurt my back doing it too!) and searched through all
my magazines, meticulously searching for the interview where Kate
refers to "Night of the Swallow" as "Nice to Swallow".  I searched
most intensely where I thought I'd find it, but it was to no avail.
Just as I was about to give up, I spotted another magazine that was
vaguely similar in size, color, and shape to the magazine I had
expected to find it in, so I looked in there, and there it was!

So, here is the quote that IED stubbornly refused to believe existed.
I hope that IED will give me the *HUGE* apology that he promised.  It
is from *Sounds Fan Library No. 9: Lady Killers*.  Pat Benetar is on
the cover.  Inside there is an interview with Kate (among lots of
other junk), and on page 35, Kate comments on all of her albums.
These are the comments on *The Dreaming*:

	Again I'm very fond of this because it's my latest and because
	it represents *total* control, owing to the fact that I
	produced it by myself.  It's the hardest thing I've ever done
	-- it was even harder than touring!  The whole experience was
	very worrying, very frightening but at the same time very
	rewarding.

        It took a long time to do but I think there are some very
	intense songs and the ones I like best of all are 'Nice To
	Swallow', 'Houdini', and 'Get Out'.  All in all, I was very
	proud of this record.

I am NEVER going to this much trouble again to counter IED's disbelief
of my perfect knowledge.  Twice is enough.

|>oug

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/26/89)

Really-From: stewarte@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (The Man Who Invented Himself)

Was I only dreaming, or did Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu> actually say:

[Re: the elusive "Nice to Swallow" quote]

>I hope that IED will give me the *HUGE* apology that he promised.  It
>is from *Sounds Fan Library No. 9: Lady Killers*.  Pat Benetar is on
>the cover.  Inside there is an interview with Kate (among lots of
>other junk), and on page 35, Kate comments on all of her albums.
[...]
>        It took a long time to do but I think there are some very
>	intense songs and the ones I like best of all are 'Nice To
>	Swallow', 'Houdini', and 'Get Out'.

Given the source, don't you think it's possible that the reviewer
simply misheard Kate's pronounciation of "Night of the Swallow"?
I mean, this being a magazine of questionable Kateliness, it's
entirely possible that the interviewer's knowledge of "The Dreaming"
was less than complete....  I suppose I should have waited to see
whether IED would apologize before posting this, but somehow I
doubt he will....
--
"I have no desire to live in a country that doesn't
 allow you to have any fun."

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/28/89)

Really-From: Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu>

> [Robert Rubinoff:] It seems plausible to me that the interviewer
> mis-heard or mis-remembered what Kate said.  These things do happen.

Is it plausible that the interviewer misheard Kate?  Yes, it is
*plausible*.  However, it is far from the likeliest explanation.  It
is *not* plausible that the interviewer misremembered what Kate said.
This was clearly not an interview transccribed via memory.

I'd like to point out that for each album Kate lists her favorite
tracks.  Every other song name is correct, or a shortened version of
the correct name.  If the interviewer was so bad, how come his or her
accuracy on the other song titles is on the mark?

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/05/89)

Really-From: Doug Alan <nessus@athena.mit.edu>

> From: James Smith <munnari!cc.nu.oz.au!CCJS@uunet.UU.NET>

> What makes you think the writer was familiar with Kate's work?

I already told about this.  The interviewer talks about how he had
been an admirer of Kate's for a long time.  When *The Dreaming* came
out he didn't like the album, but as he listened to it more and more,
it grew on him until he decided it was Kate's most inspired work to
date.  This is *obviously* someone who is familiar with *The
Dreaming*.  If "Nice to Swallow" is a mistake, it is clearly not the
mistake of the interviewer, but rather of the typesetters.

>> It took a long time to do but I think there are some very
>> intense songs and the ones I like best of all are 'Nice To
>> Swallow', 'Houdini', and 'Get Out'.  All in all, I was very
>> proud of this record.

> Note that not one but two song titles are misquoted, and there is
> no reason for misquoting the second one.  Perhaps one could argue
> laziness on the part of the writer, or a typographical error, or
> even a desire for brevity on Kate's part, though I find that
> suprising.

You are being kind of silly.  Kate said "Get Out" because it is her
shorthand for "Get Out Of My House".  Musicians almost often have
short names for their songs with long names.  Do you think they like
saying while working on an album, "Now let's work on 'Get Out Of My
House' for a bit"?  No, they'd rather say, "Now let's work on 'Get
Out' for a bit".

> To my mind the above does not show any great knowledge of _The
> Dreaming_ or indeed of Kate's work.  And Doug says that this is the
> entire extent of the interview's comments on _The Dreaming_.

I never said any such thing.

> Where does he say that he has listened to _The Dreaming_ many times?  Or
> that he is familiar with Kate's work?

In the interview, as I previously mentioned.  It's partly an essay and
partly an interview.  The interviewer also gives a short history of
Kate's career.

CCJS@cc.nu.oz (James Smith) (10/05/89)

Stewart Evans writes:

> It should be noted, in IED's attack on |>oug's competence, that the word
> that he claims |>oug misheard was considerably less obvious from context
> than "Night of the Swallow" would be to someone who knew Kate's work.

What makes you think the writer was familiar with Kate's work?

The dreaded interview:

> Again I'm very fond of this because it's my latest and because
> it represents *total* control, owing to the fact that I
> produced it by myself.  It's the hardest thing I've ever done
> -- it was even harder than touring!  The whole experience was
> very worrying, very frightening but at the same time very
> rewarding.
>
> It took a long time to do but I think there are some very
> intense songs and the ones I like best of all are 'Nice To
> Swallow', 'Houdini', and 'Get Out'.  All in all, I was very
> proud of this record.

Note that not one but two song titles are misquoted, and there is
no reason for misquoting the second one.  Perhaps one could argue
laziness on the part of the writer, or a typographical error, or
even a desire for brevity on Kate's part, though I find that
suprising.

My opinion is that someone interviewed Kate, and someone else 'Ghost
wrote' the interview from a bad tape recording.  And that a third
person prepared the discography.  That's my opinion, though.

Stewart continues:

> However, it does bring yet another (admittedly far-fetched) possibility
> to mind:  that the interviewer mis-heard Kate, but assumed she was
> making a pun or inside joke.  However, given !>oug's citation of the
> interviewer's comments about "The Dreaming", I'm willing to believe
> that the quote was taken down correctly -- it now seems to me the
> simplest explanation.

To my mind the above does not show any great knowledge of _The Dreaming_
or indeed of Kate's work.  And Doug says that this is the entire extent
of the interview's comments on _The Dreaming_.

> However, the fact that
> the interviewer claimed to be familiar with Kate's work, and specifically
> to have listened to The Dreaming many times, makes this possibility seem
> less likely.

Where does he say that he has listened to _The Dreaming_ many times?  Or
that he is familiar with Kate's work?

> I think that
> the only plausible source of error here is transcription error -- the two
> phrases _sound_ much more alike than they _look_.

> the simplest explanation
> seems to be that Kate really said "Nice to Swallow", for whatever reason.

The simplest explanation seems to be that Kate has been mistranscribed.
Perhaps the volume was set too low, or someone coughed.  I have yet
to see any reference to Kate using this particular expression on any
other occasion, or indeed of her connecting "Night of the Swallow"
with fellatio in any manner whatsoever.  Can anyone supply one?

> both IED and |>oug are so stubborn
> that there can be no hope of resolving this dispute short of placing them
> in a locked room together and declare the survivor to be factually correct
> in all things.

The discussion does seem to be descending to the level of name calling.
I don't mind long, witty diatribes, but a high anger level does take
the enjoyment out of it for third parties.

Jim

--
James Smith, Computing Centre, University of Newcastle, ccjs@cc.nu.oz.au
"Who's for dinner?  Shall we draw lots, boys?"

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/06/89)

Really-From: James Smith <munnari!cc.nu.oz.au!CCJS@uunet.UU.NET>

From: CCJS@cc.nu.oz (James Smith)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Nice To Swallow
Date: 5 Oct 89 09:50:54 EST

CCJS@cc.nu.oz (James Smith) (10/08/89)

Doug Alan writes (in reply to me):

>> Doug says that this is the
>> entire extent of the interview's comments on _The Dreaming_.

> I never said any such thing.

No, you didn't.  You said that was the entire extent of Kate's
comments on the album.  I apologise for misquoting you.

> If "Nice to Swallow" is a mistake, it is clearly not the
> mistake of the interviewer, but rather of the typesetters.

Or of the editor.

> Kate said "Get Out" because it is her
> shorthand for "Get Out Of My House".  Musicians almost often have
> short names for their songs with long names.

Has Kate ever used pet song names on other occasions?  I do not
remember having read anything in which she uses them.  In fact, in
most articles I have read she refers to _Get Out of My House_ as
"Get Out of My House" and _Night of the Swallow_ as "Night of the
Swallow."  Can you cite an example?

I'll ammend this.  I'm sure she has on occasions used a song title
like "Night of the Swallow" and then used the abbreviation "Night"
to refer to it further on in the interview.  Can you cite an example
in which she has referred to a song by a pet name or abbreviation
in a context where an uninformed reader would think that it was the
song's actual title?

Did the interviewer transcribe his/her own interview?  If he did,
did he supply an accurate, typewritten copy?  Were the interviews
for _Lady Killers_ done especially for it, or taken from other
sources?   How much care was taken in editing the book?

The high level of spelling/typographical errors would not seem to
indicate a high level of editorial expertise.  Perhaps the editor
prepared copy from a tape supplied by the interviewer, or from his
handwritten notes.  Could "N. Swallow" have been expanded to "Nice
to Swallow"?

I'm still not convinced that Kate actually said "Nice to Swallow."

Greg Anderson writes:

> Why does anyone assume the phrase "Nice To Swallow" refers to oral sex?
> Would you have made the same assumption if the speaker had been a man?

|>oug first used the reference to underline the fact that Kate
was capable of sexual innuendo.

> Come on people, *all* musicians have pet-names for their music, and they are
> often comic and sometimes genuinely crude.  But it beats calling everything
> by it's *formal* name all the time.  Is Kate different?  Can't *she* have
> silly names for her "serious work"?

Of course she can.  But have you ever read an article in which
she used one?  Besides, Kate is not a musician, she is a genius;
the rules that apply to other musicians need not apply to her. :-)

Jim

--

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/08/89)

Really-From: James Smith <munnari!cc.nu.oz.au!CCJS@uunet.UU.NET>

From: CCJS@cc.nu.oz (James Smith)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Date: 7 Oct 89 21:14:45 EST

Greg Anderson writes:

> Why does anyone assume the phrase "Nice To Swallow" refers to oral sex?
> Would you have made the same assumption if the speaker had been a man?

|>oug first used the reference to underline the fact that Kate
was capable of sexual innuendo.

> Come on people, *all* musicians have pet-names for their music, and they are
> often comic and sometimes genuinely crude.  But it beats calling everything
> by it's *formal* name all the time.  Is Kate different?  Can't *she* have
> silly names for her "serious work"?

Of course she can.  But have you ever read an article in which
she used one?  Besides, Kate is not a musician, she is a genius;
the rules that apply to other musicians need not apply to her. :-)

Jim

--
James Smith, Computing Centre, University of Newcastle, ccjs@cc.nu.oz.au
"Who's for dinner?  Shall we draw lots, boys?"
                                        -- _Asterix at the Olympic Games_

de0t+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Daniel S. Efran") (11/03/89)

If you say "Night of the Swallow" quickly (if, for example, you've
already said it before in the same interview) it could easily come out
"Nite o' th' Swallow" or even "Nite o' Swallow."  Which sounds quite a
bit like "Ny to Swallow" which sounds (if you try to fit it back into
english) like "Nice to Swallow."  If you don't believe me, try saying it
yourself.
It's not hard to imagine someone mishearing something Kate says--read
anyone's attempts to figure out her lyrics--and perhaps thinking that
she was making a joke.
If you really care, that's a pretty reasonable hypothesis.  Feel free to
*not* discuss it further.

			---Dan "The Sphere" Efran
				--or--
			---"Damn this fear" Efran