[net.lan] Summary #1 of ethernet information

matt@oddjob.UChicago.UUCP (Matt Crawford) (05/17/84)

Well, thank-you to all those who responded, and here's the first
summary.  By all means keep up the chatter, especially if I seem
to have missed an important point.

How many people out there on the net are considering
installation of some sort of local network?  Maybe we can
stimulate more reviews and comments on hardware and
software products which have been tried.

1. The first question was about mixing bords of different
manufacturers on the same network.

	Steve Bellovin provides the following (paraphrased):
	As long as all machines use the ethernet Address
	Resolution Protocol ("ARP"), everythings fine.  Unix 4.1c
	and 4.2 use ARP.  Basically, a machine using ARP
	broadcasts a request meaning "Will the machine of
	internet address so-and-so please send me its ethernet
	address".  When a response comes, then both machines know
	each other's ethernet address.

	When ARP is not used, the 4.1c/4.2 procedure is to
	construct a guess at the destination ethernet address
	from the high order 24 bits of the sender's 48-bit
	ethernet address (which are manufacturer-specific:
	there's the problem!) followed by the low 24 bits of the
	destinations 32-bit internet address.  The ways around
	this are to either reprogram all machines' ethernet boards
	address ROMs -- some boards allow this from software, but
	the 4.2 drivers I have looked at don't support this feature
	-- or to get modified ARP code which allows two extra
	possibilities:  1) the insertion of some internet-to-
	ethernet address translations "by hand" and 2) one
	machine can answer ARP requests on behalf of another
	machine.  These modifications were posted on net.lan some
	weeks ago by Bill Shannon at SUN.

	John Quarterman says that according to rumor, DEC's DEUNA
	won't talk to 3COM.  Also that DEUNA tranceivers won't
	connect to standard Belden cable.  He suggests getting
	Xerox tranceivers.

	Russel Yount is mixing 3com and interlan with no problems.

2. About mixing protocol families on a single ethernet:

	Nobody reports any problem in doing this as long as all
	machines agree on which 16-bit "type code" in the
	ethernet header represents which protocol.  If everybody
	sticks to the standards it should be OK.  This doesn't help
	machines of different protocols to talk to each other,
	however.  (see also item 4.)

	Darrel Van Buer will be mixing PUP, IP, and XNS on the
	same cable, using Xerox, 3Com and Interlan boards.  Let
	us know how it goes, hey?

3. Are there DECNET-to-IP translators or forwarders?

	Who knows?  Quarterman says "Work has been done on this
	at LBL recently."

4. What is the status of Berkeley's "trailer encapsulation"
system with regard to other software systems?

	There's an RFC about trailers (RFC893), but they are in
	no way adopted as a standard.  Not everybody is convinced
	of the claims for their effect on performance.  Since
	packets with trailers are distinguishable by their ethernet
	type code, a host which does not understand them should
	simply reject them.

	What I will recommend here is this:
	We plan to have electrically separate ethernets in
	different buildings with gateways to inter-building
	connections.  (Those may be carried on fiber optics --
	lots of lightning in Chicago.)  These gateways can then
	have trailers disabled on the outside interface nad
	enabled on the indoor side, if their software is BSD based.
	Then we UNIX users in my department can keep our trailers
	while the VMS and TOPS20 crowd do more-or-less as they
	please.  (Hmmm.  Better be sure the gateways do
	fragmentation properly...)

5. Should we get network numbers from SRI-NIC?

	There's no agreement on this, and I haven't received a
	reply from SRI yet.  Nobody says we should just ignore
	their numbering system, though.

6. There were no replies about the availability of the Excelan
(Exelan?) or other `smart' interfaces.

7. About VMS and TOPS-20 TCP/IP implementations:

	Tom Campbell posted an item to the net to the effect the
	Woolongong Group's product seemed to work fine under VMS
	for communication to SUN's running 4.2

	U. of Texas is said to be testing a TOPS-20 TCP product.

8. Concerning RFC's:

	Bellovin:
	"Write to NIC and ask for the Internet Workbook."

	I have sent mail to NIC@SRI-NIC, but no response yet.
	Looking through the index to RFC's, several caught my
	eye as being relevant.  Not all RFC's are actually
	Requests For Comments.  Many describe a standard which
	must be obeyed by any internet implementation.

	Quarterman and Van Buer pointed out that 899 is
	a somewhat more detailed summary of 800-899, and
	either 799 or 800 is a summary of 700-799.
Index to people cited:
Steve Bellovin			ihnp4!ulysses!smb
John Quarterman			jsq@ut-sally.arpa
Darrel J. Van Buer		ihnp4!sdcrdcf!darrelj
Russell J. Yount		ihnp4!vax135!cadre!ry
Tom Campbell			LTN@USC-ECL.ARPA

[ To the people I list above: please correct me if I have made any
  distortions. ]
Matt			ARPA: crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
Crawford		UUCP: ihnp4!oddjob!matt

smb@ulysses.UUCP (Steven Bellovin) (05/18/84)

	From: matt@oddjob.UChicago.UUCP (Matt Crawford)
	Newsgroups: net.lan
	Subject: Summary #1 of ethernet information
	Date: Thu, 17-May-84 11:27:00 EDT

		John Quarterman says that according to rumor, DEC's DEUNA
		won't talk to 3COM.  Also that DEUNA tranceivers won't
		connect to standard Belden cable.  He suggests getting
		Xerox tranceivers.

Not quite accurate.  The 3Com *board* and the DEUNA *board* will talk just
fine (I'm typing this in via an rlogin connection between exactly those two
boards); however, the DEUNA *board* won't work with the 3Com *transceiver.
The reason:  the DEUNA meets the Ethernet 2.0 spec, while the 3Com transceiver
is a 1.0 version -- and the DEUNA is so "smart" that it detects the difference
and thinks there's a failure.  In brief tests, I found that the 3Com board would
work with a DEC transceiver, but there is some potential for trouble when
mixing 1.0 stuff with 2.0 (my thanks to Rob Warnock for a long explanation
on this point).

		--Steve Bellovin