                                            Peter  Manchester
                                            Religious Studies
                                            632-7312
                                            07-Nov-1989 01:44am EST
FROM:  PMANCHESTER
TO:    Love-Hounds Digest                   ( _IN%love-hounds@gaffa.mit.edu )

SUBJECT: Jessica's 12" singles

	Jessica reported picking up some "lp-single sort of things"
at Bleeker Bob's in the city the other day and didn't quite know
what she had.  Treasure, I'd say.  Vinyl is on the way out, and
it's worth recalling the multi-dimensional fun of tracking KB
releases in 'the old days' of  Hounds of Love.

	Aside:  anybody else remember seeing the July or August
1985 Schwann catalog with its pre-release listing for Hounds of
Love as "Spinning Pups"?  I have taken to calling the additional
songs released only on the singles "Spinning Pups" ever since.

	Anyway:  the game as she used to be played involved a pre-
album-release single, with a B side that would not appear on the
album, and then several singles during the months that the album
was alive and moving, again with new songs not otherwise
obtainable.  The singles would appear in both 7" and 12" versions,
with the 12" often offering an extended remix for dance play
(hence the dropping out of certain lyrics, as several have noted).

	Jessica doesn't mention whether her 12" singles were 33s or
45s.  The UK versions of the 12" singles were 45s, and often had
spectacular sound because of the higher speed.  I know "Hill" was
released in a US 33rpm 12" single, but I am not sure of the others
since I was collecting the British versions on grounds of
production quality.

	In any case, here is the lot of the "Spinning Pups":

"Running Up That Hill," b/w "Under the Ivy".  7" is EMI KB 1.  The
12" (EMI 12KB 1) is an extended dance version on A, an
instrumental version on B, with "Ivy" closing the side.  Jessica
has described the back art of the 12" ("- if I only could - I'd be
running up that Hill -" written on Kate's bare back); the 7" has
Kate as archer drawing the bowstring against her lips.

"Cloudbusting" was KB 2 (7")/12KB 2 (12"), b/w "Burning Bridge"
and, on the 12" only, "My Lagan Love."  The jacket art was the
same on both:  Kate as Peter at the Cloudbuster on the front,
clouds and sky on the back, except the 12" included an inset photo
of Kate from the video sessions.  The 12" version, extended, is
called "The Organon Remix."  Kate acknowledged in correspondence
that this was a spelling error on her part, since Reich's ranch in
Maine was called "Orgonon," based on "Orgone" energy, with an o.

"Hounds of Love" is one of the most important of the single
releases, because the 12" (12KB 3) presented "Alternative Hounds
of Love," an early sketch of the song that goes in a different
direction than the final version, and has become my favorite.  KB
3, the 7", is b/w "The Handsome Cabin Boy," and the 12" adds "Jig
of Life" from the album.  Cover art is a striking half face of
Kate, left, with a dramatic sunset in the background, black and
white but printed in a rich black/violet.

"The Big Sky" was a complicated release.  The main thing here is
the mighty song, "Not This Time"--a major, major song--that was
the B side.  In 7" I never saw KB 4 itself; instead I have KBP 4B,
a picture disk with Kate, head in hands, on the front, and a
piled-hair shot on the rear.  The 12" (12KB 4) has a small shot
from the video on the front (Kate with binoculars on a chimney), a
second on the back (Kate, flags, surging light, a battlefield
romp).  The 12" version is called "MeTkeorological Mix," with the
capital T made into a TK, and features Kate's whole family in
various vaporous observations along the way.  "The Morning Fog"
closes the B side of the 12".

	I assume Jessica did great to find ANY of this stuff still
around today, and I paid nearly $8 for them in 1985-86 originally.
It is worth checking whether they are US or UK releases.  I think
that only "Hill" and "Cloudbusting" were US 12" singles, but I am
not sure.  Once I realized that EMI America was lame, I stopped
paying attention.

A O A O A O A O A O A O A O A O A O A O A O A O A O A O A O A O
pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu     >
    pmanchester@sbccma.bitnet    <     "C'MON, WE ALL SIN"
             Peter Manchester     >      --Not This Time

dave@BOINGO.MED.JHU.EDU (David Heath) (11/09/89)

PMANCHESTER@CCMAIL.SUNYSB.EDU writes:

>	Aside:  anybody else remember seeing the July or August
>1985 Schwann catalog with its pre-release listing for Hounds of
>Love as "Spinning Pups"?  I have taken to calling the additional
>songs released only on the singles "Spinning Pups" ever since.

Actually, "Spinning Pups" was a various-artists compilation that had
one Kate selection on it. I don't remember which song it was, but it
was an album track. I have actually seen this on cassette in cutout
bins. Perhaps Kate got the idea for Hounds of Love from this. :-)

----------
dave heath                heath@crabcake.cs.jhu.edu
"A mind is a terrible thing to waste somebody with"

woiccare@CLUTX.CLARKSON.EDU (Woj) (11/10/89)

PMANCHESTER@CCMAIL.SUNYSB.EDU:

> SUBJECT: Jessica's 12" singles / "Spinning Pups" ;)
>                                               "The Morning Fog"
> closes the B side of the 12" [of "The Big Sky"].

Ummm...on the 12" that I have of "The Big Sky", the B side has "Not
This Time" and a special single mix of "The Big Sky". Looking at it,
I don't find any reference to the 12KB 4 that you mention, instead
it is labelled V-19213.

I'm guessing that this a later pressing since the inside sleeve is
one of those annoying plastic sleeves that I normally throw out and
replace with a real paper one.

> 	I assume Jessica did great to find ANY of this stuff still
> around today, and I paid nearly $8 for them in 1985-86 originally.
> It is worth checking whether they are US or UK releases.  I think
> that only "Hill" and "Cloudbusting" were US 12" singles, but I am
> not sure.  Once I realized that EMI America was lame, I stopped
> paying attention.

I picked up my 12"ers of "Hill" and "Big Sky" as late as 1987 for
about $5 apiece (at a chain store no less - I think it was a Lis-
tening Booth).

woj --- woiccare@clutx.clarkson.edu

ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi) (11/10/89)

>> SUBJECT: Jessica's 12" singles / "Spinning Pups" ;)
>>                                               "The Morning Fog"
>> closes the B side of the 12" [of "The Big Sky"].
>
>Ummm...on the 12" that I have of "The Big Sky", the B side has "Not
>This Time" and a special single mix of "The Big Sky". Looking at it,
>I don't find any reference to the 12KB 4 that you mention, instead
>it is labelled V-19213.
>
>> I think
>> that only "Hill" and "Cloudbusting" were US 12" singles, but I am
>> not sure.  Once I realized that EMI America was lame, I stopped
>> paying attention.
>
>woj --- woiccare@clutx.clarkson.edu

There *was* an American release of the 12" of "The Big Sky" -- I saw it.
This might be what you have, woj.  The KB label numbers were used
only by the British EMI; EMI-America used a completely different
numbering scheme.

By the way, "Experiment IV" was also released in the US as a 12" single.

Actually, I"m curious why EMI *stopped* using the KB numbers for the new
album.  It was so neat to have _Hounds Of Love_ be number KB1 in Britain!

Ed (Edward Suranyi)        |     "Bush is an acquired taste worth
Dept. of Applied Science   |              cultivating."
UC Davis/Livermore         |                 -- _People_ magazine
ed@das.llnl.gov            |        (in review of _The Dreaming_)

lazlo@ARIEL.UNM.EDU (Lazlo Nibble) (11/10/89)

Woj writes:

> Ummm...on the 12" that I have of "The Big Sky", the B side has "Not
> This Time" and a special single mix of "The Big Sky". Looking at it,
> I don't find any reference to the 12KB 4 that you mention, instead
> it is labelled V-19213.
>
> I'm guessing that this a later pressing since the inside sleeve is
> one of those annoying plastic sleeves that I normally throw out and
> replace with a real paper one.

Is this pressing Canadian?  I don't remember there being a US 12" for
"The Big Sky" but [V-xxxxx] is the standard EMI catalog-number format
for 12"ers on *this* side of the pond.  The US "Cloudbusting" is
V-19258, which would, in a more perfect world, imply that your "Big
Sky" 12" predates it . . . huh!

EMI: Get these mixes out on CD, you pathetic dweebs!  (Actually, if
"Be Kind To My Mistakes" really turns up on the next CD-single, I'll
stop whining for awhile.)

                                                   Lazlo (lazlo@ariel.unm.edu)
"Mmmm-hmmmm...I LOVE technology!"

nv89-pyl@NADA.KTH.SE (Patrik Yle'n) (11/10/89)

In article <8911091906.AA17906@ariel.unm.edu> lazlo@ARIEL.UNM.EDU (Lazlo Nibble) writes:

>Is this pressing Canadian?  I don't remember there being a US 12" for
>"The Big Sky" but [V-xxxxx] is the standard EMI catalog-number format
>for 12"ers on *this* side of the pond.  The US "Cloudbusting" is
>V-19258, which would, in a more perfect world, imply that your "Big
>Sky" 12" predates it . . . huh!

I am 90% certain that I have this 12" in my collection at home, I know
I've got one U.S. pressed 12" and I believe it is "The Big Sky".
Also, I think I've seen it on sale in Record Collector a few times.

nv89-pyl@nada.kth.se (Patrik Yle'n)

woiccare@CLUTX.CLARKSON.EDU (Woj) (11/10/89)

lazlo@ARIEL.UNM.EDU (Lazlo Nibble):
>> Ummm...on the 12" that I have of "The Big Sky", the B side has "Not
>> This Time" and a special single mix of "The Big Sky". Looking at it,
>> I don't find any reference to the 12KB 4 that you mention, instead
>> it is labelled V-19213.

>> I'm guessing that this a later pressing since the inside sleeve is
>> one of those annoying plastic sleeves that I normally throw out and
>> replace with a real paper one.

> Is this pressing Canadian?  I don't remember there being a US 12" for
> "The Big Sky" but [V-xxxxx] is the standard EMI catalog-number format
> for 12"ers on *this* side of the pond.  The US "Cloudbusting" is
> V-19258, which would, in a more perfect world, imply that your "Big
> Sky" 12" predates it . . . huh!

Well the record label says EMI America on it so I assume it's an
American release, but the V-xxxxx, as you say, could be the give
away to a Canadian release. Hmmm...I've never been able to find
the "Cloudbursting" 12" (but would love to - likewise with the
"Hounds" 12"; I've heard the alternative mix of it and Really Like
it!).

> EMI: Get these mixes out on CD, you pathetic dweebs!  (Actually, if
> "Be Kind To My Mistakes" really turns up on the next CD-single, I'll
> stop whining for awhile.)

No shit!

woj --- woiccare@clutx.clarkson.edu