[rec.music.gaffa] laughs and track boundaries

justin@iro.umontreal.ca (Justin Bur) (11/11/89)

the laugh that might be at the beginning of The Fog or the end
of Love and Anger reminds me of the division between The Dreaming
and Night of the Swallow... on the UK CD, the beginning of NotS
is at 4:07 in The Dreaming's track. NotS's track begins at the
point Kate starts singing. (Sorry if I have already complained
about this.)

justin

jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (Jon Drukman) (11/12/89)

In article <8911101621.AA19526@kovic.IRO.UMontreal.CA> justin@iro.umontreal.ca (Justin Bur) writes:
>on the UK CD, the beginning of NotS
>is at 4:07 in The Dreaming's track. NotS's track begins at the
>point Kate starts singing. (Sorry if I have already complained
>about this.)

are you saying that the UK CD of TD (wow - initials are FUN) starts
Night Of The Swallow at the _right_ spot?  (I would make it 4:08 by my
US disc rather than 4:07 but who cares...) This is news to me!  Now
I'm really really PISSED!  Because this stupid idiotic EMI America
disc that I have starts Night Of The Swallow right in the middle of
the last big Irish instrument buildup before the first verse.  I can't
figure out what the point is supposed to be unless they were thinking
that any place you could still hear the digeridu belonged to "The
Dreaming" but even that theory doesn't work because you can hear it
for the first 7 seconds of NotS on the domestic disc.

Well, roll me in flour and quick fry me for the holidays!
+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? ----------------------+
|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | "Women!  A Mistake?  Or did He do it to |
| \|on |/rukman | jsd@umass.bitnet  | us ON PURPOSE!?" -- Witches Of Eastwick |

ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi) (11/12/89)

In article <8911101822.AA02158@GAFFA.MIT.EDU> gatech.edu!mit-eddie!gaffa!jsd@cs.utexas.edu (Jon Drukman) writes:
>In article <8911101621.AA19526@kovic.IRO.UMontreal.CA> justin@iro.umontreal.ca (Justin Bur) writes:
>>on the UK CD, the beginning of NotS
>>is at 4:07 in The Dreaming's track. NotS's track begins at the
>>point Kate starts singing. (Sorry if I have already complained
>>about this.)
>
>are you saying that the UK CD of TD (wow - initials are FUN) starts
>Night Of The Swallow at the _right_ spot?  (I would make it 4:08 by my
>US disc rather than 4:07 but who cares...) This is news to me!  Now
>I'm really really PISSED!  Because this stupid idiotic EMI America
>disc that I have starts Night Of The Swallow right in the middle of
>the last big Irish instrument buildup before the first verse.

You should read Justin's posting again, Jon, because I think you have
COMPLETELY misunderstood it.  I believe he is saying that the song
NotS starts at 4:07 in "The Dreaming"  -- but the track doesn't change
until "the point Kate starts singing."  In other words, the big Irish
instrument buildup before the first verse occurs in "The Dreaming"'s
track, and not in NotS's track.

As far as I can tell, this is identical to the situation on the American
CD.  If the British CD was really set up right, as you thought, Jon, why
would Julian complain about this?

Ed (Edward Suranyi)        | "Singer/songwriter Kate Bush:  The one singer
Dept. of Applied Science   |  on two continents who most deserves a wider
UC Davis/Livermore         |      audience"    -- _Saturday Review_
ed@das.llnl.gov            | (in special "Underrated/Overrated" issue)

justin@iro.umontreal.ca (Justin Bur) (11/13/89)

No, I mean that the EMI UK CD is just as braindamaged, and the point
that ought to be track 7 0:00 is instead track 6 4:07. Kate's voice
begins at 7 0:08 and track 7 is only 5:22 long. All of this to point
out that EMI's track boundaries aren't necessarily reliable (cf. also
Marillion's Misplaced Childhood).

other things:
- Le Mystere des Voix Bulgares is on Disques Cellier in Switzerland
and France, and is `recorded by Marcel Cellier'. Was the recording
originally made for 4AD nevertheless?
- a week ago in Toronto: A&A ("Canada's Greatest Record Stores") and
Sam the Record Man on Yonge Street both had TSW at #1.  Last week
in Montreal, A&A ("Les meilleurs magasins de disques au Quebec") did
not have TSW on the in-store chart. The HMV Shop ("The World's Best
Music Stores") put it at #12. The brand-new HMV at Peel and Ste-
Catherine ("Canada's Largest Music Store") had the UK import 12" and
CD singles in large quantities at not extortionate prices, and copies
of Homeground at $6.  (HMV, by the way, is run by EMI.)

justin