[rec.music.gaffa] Strange Angels

nessus@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Doug Alan) (11/15/89)

Am I the only one disappointed with Laurie Anderson's latest album?  In
my opinion, her first album was her best, and each succeeding album
has gotten progresively worse.  The latest one is particularly boring.
Oh, well.

|>oug

"B is for Basil assaulted by bears"

wombat@claris.UUCP (Scott Lindsey) (11/15/89)

In article <8911150007.AA06220@GAFFA.MIT.EDU> nessus@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Doug Alan) writes:

> Am I the only one disappointed with Laurie Anderson's latest album?  In
> my opinion, her first album was her best, and each succeeding album
> has gotten progresively worse.  The latest one is particularly boring.
> Oh, well.

No... I've got a friend still trying to decide whether it ranks higher than
_Mister Heartbreak_ or not.  Personally, though, I see it as an attempt at
artistic growth by Ms. Anderson.  _Big Science_ was definitely a work of art,
but like many great works of art, it's not one I can live with day to day:
it is reserved for contemplation (read: I can't sit and program with it in
my headphones :-)  I think that Laurie is trying to continue to produce that
which is art and that which is musically familiar and pleasant.  Not an easy
task, so perhaps some standards were compromised... personally, I liked it
on first listening than I did _Mr. Heartbreak_ on first listening... and it's
something I *can* listen to while doing something else...

One *might* say that Kate's albums have gotten progressively boring since
_The Dreaming_ and be right *in a very naive sense*, but, like Kate, I think
that Laurie has added depth to her artistry.  _Strange Angels_ contains some
snippets of pure genius.

Scott Lindsey     |"Cold and misty morning. I heard a warning borne in the air
Claris Corp.      |    About an age of power when no one had an hour to spare"
ames!claris!wombat| DISCLAIMER: These are not the opinions of Claris, Apple,
wombat@claris.com |    StyleWare, the author, or anyone else living or Dead.

dsmith@cg-atla.UUCP (Dave Smith) (11/17/89)

In article <WOMBAT.89Nov14191603@claris.com> wombat@claris.UUCP (Scott Lindsey) writes:

>I think that Laurie is trying to continue to produce that
>which is art and that which is musically familiar and pleasant.

I disagree with the latter half of this.  I've never though that
Laurie but a great deal of work into producing "familiar and pleasant"
music.  To the contrary, I think she's introduced a great deal of
unfamiliar and unpleasant qualities in her music.  This is what makes
her so interesting to listen to.  "Sweaters" is an example of this,
with the whining violins and harsh vocal harmonics.  Listen to _United
States I-IV_, there's plenty on that which I would consider unordinary,
and "difficult listening".

Her ability to experiment with sounds and arrangements are IMHO what
makes her so interesting.  Even her choices for musicians (Adrian
Belew, David Van Tiegem(sp?)) follow in this quality.

I tend to find Laurie a little tiresome when she begins to sway
towardds the "familiar and pleasant" side of music (i.e. "Language Is
A Virus", "Smoke Rings", and the new single "Baby Doll").

Then again, perhaps your definition of "familiar and pleasant" differs
somewhat from mine.

I'd be interested in how you view her music.

                         for things I can't afford to buy"  BOB MOULD