[net.lan] Ethernet addressing

ward@hao.UUCP (Mike Ward) (05/13/84)

[]

Is it true that all Ethernet devices have a unique address, or must one
make a special effort to obtain one from some organization?

If so, what is the organization, and what are the advantages/disadvantages?

--
Michael Ward, NCAR/SCD
UUCP: {hplabs,nbires,brl-bmd,seismo,menlo70,stcvax}!hao!ward

smb@ulysses.UUCP (Steven Bellovin) (05/15/84)

All Ethernet devices have a unique address.  The high-order 24 bits
(well, 23, really; one's the multicast bit) are assigned by Xerox
to a manufacturer, in payment for a "nominal" administrative fee.
The low-order 24 bits are assigned by the manufacturer to each
unit, typically by means of a PROM.  These are guaranteed to be unique.
In fact, at least for some manufacturers (and maybe all; I don't have
my copy of the spec handy) once you buy a board with some particular
address, that address is yours forevermore -- if you send the board
back for repair/replacement, you may receive a new address, but they'll
typically send you back your old PROM so you can use either.

rpw3@fortune.UUCP (05/16/84)

#R:hao:-96700:fortune:5900021:000:2232
fortune!rpw3    May 15 15:10:00 1984

+--------------------
| Is it true that all Ethernet devices have a unique address,...
+--------------------

They'd damned well better! That's why they are 48 bits. (Although somebody
somewhere will, from time to time, screw up in their manufacturing and Q/A
and have to come around and fix it. ;-} )

+--------------------
| ...or must one make a special effort to obtain one from some organization?
| If so, what is the organization, and what are the advantages/disadvantages?
+--------------------

If you are just buying controllers from some vendor such as 3Com or Interlan,
not to worry. The controller comes with a default address which is (supposed
to be) unique, set by the vendor.

	Note: If you are going to be a gateway host between two
	Ethernets, make sure your controllers can have the address
	overridden by host software, since it is very important that
	the same absolute physical address appear on both nets. (Usually,
	you go read the default addresses from all the controllers, pick
	one [the smallest? the "first"?], and write that to all of them.)

If you are manufacturing controllers, you will need a license from Xerox
to use the Ethernet patent ($1000, one-time). With that license, you get
a (LARGE!) block of numbers to use to give unique numbers to your controllers.
It you just want a block of globally-unique numbers, I think Xerox will also
sell you a block of Ethernet addresses (with NO patent license) for $500.

There is no real advantage in getting your own addresses, as opposed to
using the ones that come with your controllers. (In fact, should you write
any software that depends of the manufacturer-specific 24 bits of the
address, you would deserve to get your hands slapped!)

In any event, for more details go to the source (Appendix "B" of the spec):

	Xerox Corporation
	Ethernet Address Administration Office
	3333 Coyote Hill Road
	Palo Alto, CA  94304

Packet types and network numbers are also registered through the same office.
(Note: ALL of IP/TCP uses merely one packet type. Ditto all of XNS/ITP.)

Rob Warnock

UUCP:	{ihnp4,ucbvax!amd70,hpda,harpo,sri-unix,allegra}!fortune!rpw3
DDD:	(415)595-8444
USPS:	Fortune Systems Corp, 101 Twin Dolphin Drive, Redwood City, CA 94065

cline@bergil.DEC (Greg ) (05/16/84)

<Gone, but not forgotten>

Nodes on Ethernet lines are identified by unique Ethernet addresses.  A
message can be sent to one, several, or all nodes on an Ethernet line
simultaneously, depending on the Ethernet address used.

An Ethernet address is 48 bits in length.  Ethernet addresses are
represented as six pairs of hexadecimal digits (six bytes), separated
by hyphens (for example, AA-01-23-45-67-FF).  The bytes are displayed
from left to right in the order in which they are transmitted; bits
within each byte are transmitted from right to left.  In the example,
byte AA is transmitted first; byte FF is transmitted last.

Xerox Corporation assigns a block of addresses to a producer of Ethernet
interfaces upon application.  Thus every manufacturer has a unique set of
addresses to use.  Normally, one address out of the assigned block of
physical addresses is permanently associated with each interface.  This
address is known as the Ethernet hardware address of the interface.

--
Greg Cline, Digital Equipment Corporation
UUCP:      decvax!decwrl!rhea!bergil!cline

darrelj@sdcrdcf.UUCP (05/16/84)

Note that while Xerox has set up (on paper) careful administration of
address space (of several kinds: hosts, networks, protocols, courier
procedures, etc), in fact, they really aren't doing very much (I asked once
about a protocol number).  They are currently depending on the large spaces
relative to needs (e.g. few people specify new protocols) rather than rigid
bureaucracy to organize things.
--
Darrel J. Van Buer, PhD
System Development Corp.

smb@ulysses.UUCP (Steven Bellovin) (05/16/84)

	From: rpw3@fortune.UUCP
	Newsgroups: net.lan
	Subject: Re: Ethernet addressing - (nf)
	Date: Tue, 15-May-84 19:05:52 EDT

	Note: If you are going to be a gateway host between two
	Ethernets, make sure your controllers can have the address
	overridden by host software, since it is very important that
	the same absolute physical address appear on both nets. (Usually,
	you go read the default addresses from all the controllers, pick
	one [the smallest? the "first"?], and write that to all of them.)

This applies only if you use the XNS protocols.  Xerox's Internet protocol
calls for a 16-bit network number that does not appear in the Ethernet header,
plus a 48-bit host number that does.  (It may appear elsewhere, but I don't
have my copy of the spec handy.)  This 48-bit number must be the same on all
networks; hence you must override the default board address as Rob describes.
If you use TCP/IP, it doesn't matter, though I suspect that there's some
stuff in 4.2 that would work better if you did.

james@umcp-cs.UUCP (05/21/84)

If I've got this right, ethernet addresses are 48 bits long, and of those
48, the first 32 comprise a 4-byte manufacturer code assigned to the
manufacturer (Interlan, say) by the people who rule ethernet (Xerox, am
I right?).  The last 16 bits are assigned (uniquely) by the manufacturer.

  --Jim

mac@uvacs.UUCP (06/02/84)

One suggestion made, I believe, by IEEE 802 is to assign unique network
addresses by using the serial numbers on dollar bills The U.S. government
already provides these unique IDs at a modest fee.  One might take a
dolloar bill, use the serial number as station address, and destroy the
bill or tape it inside the cabinet to withdraw it from circulation.

pag@hao.UUCP (Peter Gross) (06/05/84)

> One suggestion made, I believe, by IEEE 802 is to assign unique network
> addresses by using the serial numbers on dollar bills The U.S. government
> already provides these unique IDs at a modest fee.  One might take a
> dolloar bill, use the serial number as station address, and destroy the
> bill or tape it inside the cabinet to withdraw it from circulation.

Sounds to me like a bureaucrat's secret plan to reduce the national debt .....

Make 'em use $100 bills,
--peter gross
hao!pag

faunt@saturn.UUCP (Doug Faunt) (06/05/84)

It could be free, for a small amount of work, because the serial #
could be cut out, and attached to the node, and the rest of the note
taken to a bank, and replaced with another whole note.
I wouldn't want a negotiable note saved anyway, because somebody is
likely to take it and spend it.

merlyn@sequent.UUCP (06/05/84)

Isn't "burning" a dollar bill illegal in the same way that smashing
a penny is?  "Destruction of public property" and that sort of nonsense?

Besides, doesn't that add to the cost of the machine? :-}

-- A particularly personal and original observation from the thought-stream of
Randal L. ("dollar-for-dollar") Schwartz, esq. (merlyn@sequent.UUCP)
	(Official Legendary Sorcerer of the 1984 Summer Olympics)
Sequent Computer Systems, Inc. (503)626-5700 (sequent = 1/quosine)

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (06/07/84)

Don't destroy the dollar bill, frame it!
(No frames prease.)

D Gary Grady
Duke University Computation Center, Durham, NC  27706
(919) 684-4146
USENET:  {decvax,ihnp4,akgua,etc.}!mcnc!ecsvax!dgary

mark@munnari.UUCP (06/07/84)

[]
	I like the idea of using the serial numbers of dollar notes,
	but the notes in my wallet are labelled something like
			KBU 394101
	It seems that the US dollar hasn't got to Australia yet!?

	In Australia one dollar notes are being phased out
	and replaced with coins! This could start getting expensive.

	In addition, I don't know about American law, but destroying
	Australian currency is a federal offence.

	If you stick the note into the cabinet, imagine the problems
	if someone was short of money and borrowed it! What happens
	if they are honest and replace the note with another one!

						oh well
							Mark Davoren
							decvax!mulga!mark

jaap@haring.UUCP (06/07/84)

>> One suggestion made, I believe, by IEEE 802 is to assign unique network
>> addresses by using the serial numbers on dollar bills The U.S. government
>> already provides these unique IDs at a modest fee.  One might take a
>> dolloar bill, use the serial number as station address, and destroy the
>> bill or tape it inside the cabinet to withdraw it from circulation.
>
>Sounds to me like a bureaucrat's secret plan to reduce the national debt .....
>
>Make 'em use $100 bills,
>peter gross

So you have to pay an extra $100 for an unique address,
whenever you buy an American Ethernet interface. It's even
worse (or better). Non-American based manufacturers will need
to print there own dollar bills to get an unique address. What
a profit will they make!

	Jaap.

stephenf@elecvax.UUCP (06/07/84)

I agree that using the serial number of dollar bills is a nice idea.
But if you want really unique addresses, rather than just unique
within the USA, you would have to get everyone to agree on what country's
currency to use. Otherwise if someone used several boards manufactured in
different countries in the one Local Area Network, there would be the
possibility of a conflict.

	Yes, there is life outside America.

						Stephen Frede

						University of New South Wales
						Australia

				...!decvax!mulga!stephenf:elecvax

PS - our dollar bills are being replaced with dollar coins. We'd have to use
	two dollar bills.

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (06/09/84)

Actually, defacing currency or coin isn't illegal in and of itself.
Trying to *pass* defaced currency is, however.

--
Ed Gould
ucbvax!mtxinu!ed

rpw3@fortune.UUCP (06/10/84)

#R:uvacs:-132900:fortune:5900024:000:978
fortune!rpw3    Jun 10 02:13:00 1984

Geez, what a way to make money! I hereby announce (no I don't, it's a joke!)
a new company, called Addresses Limited, which will give you a guaranteed
unique 48-bit number suitable for use as an Ethernet address for only $5.00!!

[Let's see... my one-time fee to Xerox for 2^24 numbers is $1000, so
 if I sell only 10,000 of these, that's $0.10 for each unique number.
 Each postcard I send the numbers out on is $0.20 postage, the card
 itself is a nickle (pretty "engraving"), the machine time to print it
 is $0.02, the operator time is $0.07 (labor's expensive), and the legal
 fees and liability insurance is $1.37, G & A $0.35... Gross profit = $2.89
 (if my addition is correct), or 58%. Gross earnings on 10k = $28,900.
 Not too shabby... Now, how do I get that SBA loan for the initial $1k?]

topher@cyb-eng.UUCP (Topher Eliot) (06/10/84)

> I think there may be a law or two that makes it a crime to distroy
> US currency. (It is probably something terible like a felony ... )
>
> However, even if that is the case a very easy way to get your address
> is to take a dollor bill and to use the serial number, then take an indelible
> marker and write on the dollor bill,
>
>    <THIS BILLS NUMBER IS BEING USED AS A NETWORK ADDRESS)
>
>  or  TBNIBUANA
>
> Then we just have to educate the entire comuter science
> comunity not to use any numbers from bills that say TBNIBUANA on them.

A nice idea, but correct operation depends on educating the "entire comuter
science comunity" (sic).  So instead, I volunteer to sacrifice myself in the
cause of unique network addresses:  anyone can use the number on a dollor (sic)
bill for a network address, and then mail that bill to me.  I will destroy
it, taking upon myself the full legal burden of this crime.

You're welcome.

Cheers,
Topher Eliot
Cyb Systems, Austin, TX
{seismo, allegra, ihnp4}!ut-sally!cyb-eng!topher

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (06/11/84)

That's a really neat idea!  As I take a dollar bill out of my wallet,
I see the serial number is
	D 75655246 B
nearby there is a "4", and to the left of the 4 is an F2.  It's a 1981 note.

It would be interesting if someone who knows the structure of serial
numbers would comment on it.  In particular, how much information do
you have to include to insure the number is unique?  Are the D and B
necessary?  The 4?  The F2?  The date on the bill?

Can we be sure that the 8 digit numbers won't grow to 9 someday?  Will
the numbers ever repeat as bills are recycled?

	Mark