[rec.music.gaffa] new FOETUS

robinson@islnds.DEC.COM (11/07/89)

-Message-Text-Follows-

Well while bopping around NYC this weekend I saw the new Foetus live disc
_Rife_ - although roumored as a double album set it was a single cd containing
mostly material from his last disc 'Thaw' - interestingly enough I also saw
a copy of ,Hole, that didn't look right - when I got home I compared it to
my copy (cd) - my copy has a red cover and this copy had a white/grey cover
- I remember that my copy lists extra tracks that are not actually on the
disc - anyone know the story behind this 'grey' disc - is a re-pressing
of ,Hole, with the extra tracks or what??

will          decwrl!islnds.dec.com!robinson

'!'

cag@hplabs.UUCP (Craig Gleason) (11/09/89)

>Well while bopping around NYC this weekend I saw the new Foetus live disc
>_Rife_ - although roumored as a double album set it was a single cd containing
>mostly material from his last disc 'Thaw' - interestingly enough I also saw
>a copy of ,Hole, that didn't look right - when I got home I compared it to
>my copy (cd) - my copy has a red cover and this copy had a white/grey cover
>- I remember that my copy lists extra tracks that are not actually on the
>disc - anyone know the story behind this 'grey' disc - is a re-pressing
>of ,Hole, with the extra tracks or what??
>
>will          decwrl!islnds.dec.com!robinson

Some Bushwhacker tipped me off that somebody was talking about Foetus on
this group, so here I am...

Actually, "Rife" is fairly old now.  It's been out for seven or eight months,
I think.  There is supposed to be a new studio album under the name Foetus,
Inc.  out soon, but the owner of Wax Trax in Denver didn't know about it
yesterday and he does well at getting the imports in quickly.  The name
is allegedly "Sink," and it's rumored to be a double album.  Some of this
information comes second hand from people who've spoken to Thirlwell recently.

I believe that the version of "Hole" that you saw is the import version.
The domestic one has the red cover (grey on the back).  The import is mostly
white.  It doesn't come with the EP of Wash it all Off/Halo Flamin'
Lead/etc... and as far as I know is otherwise exactly the same as the
domestic LP.  Since you have the CD, you may not know that the domestic
"Hole" includes the EP, but doesn't list the extra songs on the jacket.
It's certainly worth having, though all of the extra songs come from two
earlier singles which are still in print as imports (Wash/Slog and Finely
Honed Machine).

Craig

robinson@islnds.DEC.COM (11/10/89)

-Message-Text-Follows-
In article <9940001@hpfcso.HP.COM>, cag@hplabs.UUCP (Craig Gleason) writes...

>domestic LP.  Since you have the CD, you may not know that the domestic
>"Hole" includes the EP, but doesn't list the extra songs on the jacket.
>It's certainly worth having, though all of the extra songs come from two
>earlier singles which are still in print as imports (Wash/Slog and Finely
>Honed Machine).
>
>Craig

Thanks for the info - but I have a domestic (red) copy of "Hole" and it
lists the extra tracks - but doesn't have them on the disc itself!  Are
you saying that your pressing contains these tracks!

will            decwrl!islnds.dec.com!robinson

'if you want to get some kicks - phone DI-19026'

cag@hplabs.UUCP (Craig Gleason) (11/10/89)

>Thanks for the info - but I have a domestic (red) copy of "Hole" and it
>lists the extra tracks - but doesn't have them on the disc itself!  Are
>you saying that your pressing contains these tracks!
>
>will            decwrl!islnds.dec.com!robinson

All of the red copies of Hole that I've seen include an EP in the same
sleeve as the LP.  The extra tracks (on those copies I know of) aren't
listed anywhere except on the EP itself.  I'm only talking about the
vinyl record here - the CD apparently lists all the tracks from the
EP but only includes a couple.

It's possible that at one time Scum Bizarre (Foetus' own nickname for
his label, according to a friend who met him) at some time released the
domestic LP without the EP included.  By the way, I read a recent
interview with where he said he's completed his contractual agreement
(five LP's) with SB and is not going to work with them anymore, since
he dislikes most everyone there.

Craig

jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (Jon Drukman) (11/12/89)

In article <9940002@hpfcso.HP.COM> cag@hplabs.UUCP (Craig Gleason) writes:
>>Thanks for the info - but I have a domestic (red) copy of "Hole" and it
>>lists the extra tracks - but doesn't have them on the disc itself!  Are
>>you saying that your pressing contains these tracks!
>>
>All of the red copies of Hole that I've seen include an EP in the same
>sleeve as the LP.  The extra tracks (on those copies I know of) aren't
>listed anywhere except on the EP itself.  I'm only talking about the
>vinyl record here - the CD apparently lists all the tracks from the
>EP but only includes a couple.

I don't think the CD (any version) includes any of the extra tracks.
My CD (with a red cover and a red silkscreen on the disc itself) is
pretty short (40 mins) and only goes up to "Cold Day In Hell." I can't
tell if it's domestic or not because it has about three different
label insignia on it (PVC, Ze and Self Immolation) The disc says "Made
In USA" but the back cover says "Printed in Canada".  Now, is there
another version of the CD with more than just the ten songs from
"Hole" on it?

Also note that a lot of the tracks on the CD are mis-cued (eg, "Sick
Man" is broken into two tracks!)  "Nail" has this problem as well.

+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? ----------------------+
|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | "Women!  A Mistake?  Or did He do it to |
| \|on |/rukman | jsd@umass.bitnet  | us ON PURPOSE!?" -- Witches Of Eastwick |

cag@hplabs.UUCP (Craig Gleason) (11/19/89)

>I don't think the CD (any version) includes any of the extra tracks.
>My CD (with a red cover and a red silkscreen on the disc itself) is
>pretty short (40 mins) and only goes up to "Cold Day In Hell." I can't
>tell if it's domestic or not because it has about three different
>label insignia on it (PVC, Ze and Self Immolation) The disc says "Made
>In USA" but the back cover says "Printed in Canada".  Now, is there
>another version of the CD with more than just the ten songs from
>"Hole" on it?

I've never seen or listened to a Hole CD myself, but I understand from
people who have versions of it that some include at least "Wash it all
Off" and maybe another track.  In an interview Thirlwell mentioned an
unauthorized Hole CD, so there may be at least two editions.

I have noticed that the CD used to be very (!!) rare and recently it
has begun to turn up in quite a few catalogs.  My guess is that there
was a bootleg and Some Bizarre decided to flood the market with their
edition.  Once the real version is available, the boot people are out
of luck since they can't sell theirs for as little money.

Craig