[rec.music.gaffa] Oppenheimer and Kate

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (11/29/89)

Really-From: tracyr@uunet.uu.net (jane smallberries)

Someone posted about this recently, but I can't seem to find
the original article...

I too was surprised to hear Kate's comments about Oppenheimer
during the BBC Radio 1 interview.  When discussing the
motivation for "Heads We're Dancing", she described the
situation her friend found himself in (discovering later that
the man he was seated next to was Oppenheimer).  Kate said that
her friend was appalled when he found out, because he hated
Oppenheimer and "everything he stood for."

It was my understanding that Oppenheimer was sort of forced
into the position of project lead for the bomb, due to his
scientific prowess.  I thought that he resisted the whole time,
and was even criticized (and later removed from the project
lead position) for not wanting to drop the bomb in a populated
area.  In other words, I thought he was a good guy at heart,
who was rather unwilling much of the time.  Yet Kate (or her
friend) implied he was Evil Incarnate.

Do I stand corrected?  Or was Kate missing some pieces of the
whole situation?

-Tracy
uunet!sco!tracyr,
tracyr@sco.com
--
"What happens to the soul after death?  How does it manage?"

					          -- Woody Allen

hsu@eng.umd.edu (Dave "bd" Hsu) (11/29/89)

>Really-From: tracyr@uunet.uu.net (jane smallberries)
>Do I stand corrected?  Or was Kate missing some pieces of the
>whole situation?

Well, if so, this would hardly be the first time.

skeptic for a day,

-dave

--
Dave Hsu	UMd EE Computer Facility	hsu@eng.umd.edu

"A program is like a nose.  Sometimes it runs, sometimes it blows."

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (11/29/89)

Really-From: NEWSMGR@KONTU.UTU.FI

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Oppenheimer and Kate
From: Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU
Date: 28 Nov 89 19:14:04 GMT
Sender: Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU

Really-From: ag@amix.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski)

In article <3923@scolex.sco.COM>  tracyr@uunet.uu.net (jane smallberries)
writes:
>It was my understanding that Oppenheimer was sort of forced
>into the position of project lead for the bomb, due to his
>scientific prowess.  I thought that he resisted the whole time,
>and was even criticized (and later removed from the project
>lead position) for not wanting to drop the bomb in a populated
>area.  In other words, I thought he was a good guy at heart,
>who was rather unwilling much of the time.  Yet Kate (or her
>friend) implied he was Evil Incarnate.

It is my understanding the Oppenheimer liked the job and although did
not want the distructive part of it, took it with the technology part
(which is what really appealed to him).

He was dismissed from the job because of prejudices against Germans at
the time.

This from the book "Who's got Einsteins office?" by SomeGuy.

Pax, Keith
--
ag@amix.commodore.com        Keith Gabryelski          ...!cbmvax!amix!ag

tjfs@tadtec.UUCP (Tim Steele) (11/29/89)

Tracy writes...

> It was my understanding that Oppenheimer was sort of forced
> into the position of project lead for the bomb, due to his
> scientific prowess.  I thought that he resisted the whole time,
> and was even criticized (and later removed from the project
> lead position) for not wanting to drop the bomb in a populated
> area.  In other words, I thought he was a good guy at heart,
> who was rather unwilling much of the time.  Yet Kate (or her
> friend) implied he was Evil Incarnate.
>
> Do I stand corrected?  Or was Kate missing some pieces of the
> whole situation?

I agree with Tracy - this is precisely my understanding of the
situation.  Is Kate fallible?  >gasp<

Tim

riley@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Daniel S. Riley) (12/02/89)

In article <130@amix.commodore.com> ag@amix.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski)
>It is my understanding the Oppenheimer liked the job and although did
>not want the distructive part of it, took it with the technology part
>(which is what really appealed to him).

This has some truth to it, but you also have to remember the prime
motivation for the whole project--ending the war.  You have to
understand the social and political climate at the time if you want
to understand the motivations of anyone who worked on the Manhattan
project.

>He was dismissed from the job because of prejudices against Germans at
>the time.

Unless I'm entirely out to lunch, this isn't true.  Oppenheimer was
hounded out of any position of authority and stripped of his security
clearances because of disagreements with the government and Edward
Teller over the use of the A-bomb and the development of the H-bomb.
The reasons used (security risk, his loose affiliation with the
communist party before the war, etc.) were just rationalizations used
to discredit him.

Many of the scientists from the Manhattan project still blame Edward
Teller for the shabby treatment of Oppenheimer after the war.

-Dan Riley (riley@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu, cornell!batcomputer!riley)
-Wilson Lab, Cornell U.