[rec.music.gaffa] Never Be Mine...Where?

nrc@cbnews.UUCP (12/12/89)

I think "Never Be Mine" is one of the outstanding songs on "The
Sensual World" (I think there are about 11 -- and you may think
what you like :-)).

This song takes a wonderful idea and expresses it beautifully.  For
me this song conjurs up a lot of imagery...specifically the "setting
fire to the cornfields" verse.  Any ideas on what this might be
referring to?  To me it conjures up images of the American Civil War
but perhaps there is a more obvious reference that I'm not aware of.
Maybe something closer to home (for Kate anyway).

"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
                                          AT&T Network Systems
                                          nrc@cbnews
                                          att!cbnews!nrc
                                          (614) 860-2206

nv89-pyl@NADA.KTH.SE (Patrik Yle'n) (12/12/89)

In article <8912120249.AA21224@EDDIE.MIT.EDU> nrc@cbnews.UUCP writes:

>I think "Never Be Mine" is one of the outstanding songs on "The
>Sensual World" (I think there are about 11 -- and you may think
>what you like :-)).
>
>This song takes a wonderful idea and expresses it beautifully.  For
>me this song conjurs up a lot of imagery...specifically the "setting
>fire to the cornfields" verse.  Any ideas on what this might be
>referring to?  To me it conjures up images of the American Civil War
>but perhaps there is a more obvious reference that I'm not aware of.
>Maybe something closer to home (for Kate anyway).

I believe this song is a about a person that loses his/hers loved one
in a war(Perhaps the American Civil War).

"This is where I want to be/this is what I need/this is where I want to be/
.../but I know that this will never be mine.
Ooh the thrill and the hurting/Will never be mine/The thrill and the hurting."

Imho this is obviously someone who dreams about being able to come back to
her lost land and love. "This is where I want to be" refers to him/her
wanting to get back lands perhaps lost in a war."This is what i need" refers
to the person wanting his/her love back, that was lost in the war...

-Patrik.

nessus@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Doug Alan) (12/14/89)

> I believe this song is a about a person that loses his/hers loved
> one in a war(Perhaps the American Civil War).

No, the burning fields in the song refer to the practice of many
farmers of burning the remains of their fields in the autumn in order
to fertilze the soil and prepare it for the next year's crop.

The lover is the song has not died, but it is the case that their
relationship can not be anymore.  This is why the song is so sad.

|>oug

"M is for MAUD who was swept out to sea"

CCJS@cc.nu.OZ.AU (James Smith) (12/16/89)

For some reason "Never Be Mine" always reminds me of the final scene
in _Gone With The Wind_, when Clark Gable has walked out, and Vivien
Leigh is left thinking about what she has lost.  I don't think the
resemblance is more than superficial, though.

Jim

--
James Smith          | Spelter was thinking, eight sons, that means he
Computing Centre     | did it eight times.  At least.  Gosh.