[rec.music.gaffa] Lets Talk Music

declann@scol.UUCP (11/24/89)

Right then.

I've been reading Love-Hounds for about a year now and to be honest
I'm really getting a bit tired of the fact that decent discussion of
the MUSIC is constantly overshadowed by items of almost unbelievable
triviality. Here we have the first album from Kate in years and yet
the only topics that are receiving any sort of attention are things
like
"Oh where's the hidden symbol then ?"
The number of times Kate got played on some radio station.
The kind of video rotation on MTV
The position of the laugh
etc. etc. ad nauseum.

WHAT ABOUT THE BLOODY MUSIC !!!!

Well I guess most people have made their comments about _The Sensual World_
by now so I suppose I should add my 2 pence worth. So here goes...
(Every sentence to be mentally prefixed by a "IMHO" of course ;-) )

	The Sensual World

1. The Sensual World

When I first heard this I quite liked it. The textures, the mood
appealed to me. Being Irish, I particularily like the celtic feel
of this song. However, as time passed I just got tired of it, I
guess it never really made "the connection". The vocals are good,
the arrangement is good, but there's something missing. Maybe I'll
give it a few more spins.....

2. Love and Anger

A good solid piece of music and an obvious choice for the American
market. It's definitely chart fodder though and while I like it, is
nothing really to write home about.

3. The Fog

Ah ! This is more like it ! Yes, the best song on side one by a long
shot with its rich instrumentation and textures. Lyrics are a bit
disappointing and the song does tend to meander a bit after a while
but great to listen to loud and in the dark.

4. Reaching Out

Well, well, this is a bone of contention isn't it ! Taken purely on
its own merits, its just about ok, but for a song by Kate, its a
pretty feeble effort. Her voice is good but, but, but THIS IS NOT
THE KATE WE KNOW AND LOVE !!

5. Heads We're Dancing

I nearly always turn this off halfway through because it gets pretty
boring after a while. Interesting idea though, and a pity it didn't
really come off. I mean this should exude menace and evil but ends
up going nowhere.

6. Deeper Understanding

I work with computers everyday and to be honest, the lyrics here
come very close to making me cringe with embarrasement. Sung by
anyone else, this song would make me gag, but as it happens I do
like it and it is definitly saved by the Trio B.

7. Between A Man and A Woman

For me, this is probably one of the most boring songs Kate has ever
recorded. The melody is boring, the lyrics are so trite I find it
hard to believe she wrote them. I just don't think the idea of one
person telling another not to interfere in the relationship of two
other people is a particularily interesting one. In fact,
this kind of rubbish makes me angry when we all know what she's
really capable of. Ugh.

8. Never Be Mine

Excellent. This is one of the best on the album being full of
atmosphere and incredibly evocative. It took a while to grow on
me but now I love it and unlike the last song, the lyrics are
very good. The idea of fantasy vs. reality is intelligently and
beautifully handled, while the whole song itself has a very sad
and reflective atmosphere to it.

9. Rocket' Tail

Like a lot of other people, this was the song which grabbed me first.
Indeed its like two songs, both very different yet dovetailing
together in an almost perfect match. The sad, wonderful harmonies of
the Trio Bulgarka are nicely complemented by Kate, and David Gilmour
kicks in at just the right moment. Cliched guitar solo ? Yes, of
course but its still powerfully affecting together with the brilliant
cacophony of voices which carries the song through. An exilirating
roller coaster of a song.

10. This Woman's Work

The perfect complement to the previous song. It is quiet, sad and
moving.

11. Walk Straight Down The Middle

I've tried very hard to like this song but except for her vocalising,
this is a really mediocre effort and probably should have been left
off the LP and cassette versions so as to allow the album to end on
This Woman's Work, which would have been the perfect ending.

In conclusion, I have to say that this album is a big disappointment
and it doesn't even begin to scale the heights of _The Ninth Wave_
or _The Dreaming_. I mean for Gods sake, how could someone who has
written the darkest, most intense mindf*ck of a song, i.e _Get Out
Of My House_ come up with the insipid _Reaching Out_ ? The world
is full of great mysteries, my friends. In comparison with most of
whats out at the moment, this is a good album. In comparison with
her older material, it just dosen't cut it, as you Americans might
say. I think this album is particularily weak in the lyrics
department but very strong in terms of vocalising and arrangement.

Well, I sure I've pissed off just about everybody but thats your
problem. As I've said, everything is IN MY OPINION ONLY !!!
Get that folks ? So no stupid flames please. I am interested
in hearing constructive comments only, so if you feel the need to
post saying "I think xxxx song is brilliant, and you are a shithead"
then I suggest you go lie down for a while and practise breathing
exercises, and then come back and post something constructive.

That said, I am interested in hearing your comments and hopefully
we will get around to discussing the old albums as well.

Don't all shoot at once !!

Declan

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Declan Nolan |	Europe : ..!ukc!pyrltd!scol!declann | "This Stairway ain't to
SCO Ltd, UK  |	 The	 declann@sco.COM	    | Heaven. This one's to
    	     |	World	 declann@santa-cruz.co.uk   | OBLIVION !!"
    	     |					    |	The Wonder Stuff

[][][][][][][][][][]

tynor%prism@GATECH.EDU (Steve Tynor) (12/02/89)

In article <8912011659.AA14137@GAFFA.MIT.EDU> declann@scol.UUCP writes:
>Well, I sure I've pissed off just about everybody but thats your
>problem. As I've said, everything is IN MY OPINION ONLY !!!

I for one found it refreshing. There is far too much Kate-worship in this
group. I think she's brilliant (and TD is _still_ my favorite album), but I
think its important to be critical when listening to Kate. I listen to her
music because of it's high quality - not because of ther hair style, or
whether a particular radio station plays it... If the quality isn't there (and
I agree that TSW is substandard (I'll ditto most of the points made in this
article), we should feel free to talk about it and not be afraid to be burned
to the crisp in a flame war.

Progress means replacing something wrong with something more subtly wrong.

    Steve Tynor
    Georgia Tech Research Institute
    Artificial Intelligence Branch
    tynor@prism.gatech.edu

woiccare@CLUTX.CLARKSON.EDU (Woj) (12/02/89)

tynor%prism@GATECH.EDU (Steve Tynor):

> I for one found it refreshing. There is far too much Kate-worship in this
> group. I think she's brilliant (and TD is _still_ my favorite album), but I
> think its important to be critical when listening to Kate. I listen to her
> music because of it's high quality - not because of ther hair style, or
> whether a particular radio station plays it... If the quality isn't there (and
> I agree that TSW is substandard (I'll ditto most of the points made in this
> article), we should feel free to talk about it and not be afraid to be burned
> to the crisp in a flame war.

Yeah, I do have to agree that parts of TSW just don't cut it.

I find it incredibly interesting that many magazines (discounting _Time_
and the _Wall_Street_Times_) have praised the album, while the majority
of the Love-Hounds are disatisfied. I would imagine that it *does* have
alot to do with us comparing it to the previous works, but we really
shouldn't condemn or praise the album in comparison to her earlier mat-
erial, rather we should do so upon its own merits.

So what are its merits?

Well, I (for one) consider the best parts of TSW to be (in no particular
order) the Trio Bulgarka, Mick Karn and Kate. I have to agree with the
original poster (whose name I forgot, oops) that the best songs are the
ones that are most similar to the ones of the past ("The Fog", "Never Be
Mine", "This Woman's Work"), but the newer style songs do have some hope
as well. "Heads We're Dancing" continues with the style she began develop-
ing in "Exp IV"; "Deeper Understanding" and "The Sensual World" seems to
me to be extensions of what she has done before and, imho, are actually
quite good; as for "Reaching Out", well, I'll take the fifth ;) (I don't
mind it like Drukman, mostly since it does have some of her best singing
on the album, but I don't particularly like the anthemic feel to it (that
has been mentiolned before)); "Love and Anger" doesn't appeal to me in
spite of the fact that it does resemble "The Big Sky" in its construction
and I really don't think that Gilmour adds to the song; "Rocket's Tail"
is kinda the same way --  the song is great up until the rock part -- which
was great until I got tired of it (although the bass line in there still
overwhelms me!) and Gilmour... (I know at least one person who will flame
me -- in person! -- on that one); "Walk Straight..." has its good points
and I think it also shows off some of her singing ability, however, I do
not see the similarity to Gabriel that ewveryone else hears...

Hence, on its own, TSW deserves a bit'o'praise, but I don't think it was
worth the four year wait (although she only worked on it for two, I know).

I really hope that the nest one (whenever it might be) will be incredible.

Lastly, has anyone found a better sequence for the songs when recorded
from CD? I was thinking about that today, to see if I could improve the
flow a little bit, since the present order is a bit disjointed. I only
organized 'em into some rough groupings similar to the way HoL is arran-
ged, but didn't bother to take it farther since I had to go to class.

Oops, one more thing. Does anyone know anything about the bassist on
"the Big Sky" named Youth. I think I've heard of him, but can't place
the name...

woj --- woiccare@clutx.clarkson.edu

     [ Youth used to be in Killing Joke.  -- |>oug ]

jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (Jon Drukman) (12/06/89)

In article <8912020701.AA02146@clutx.clarkson.edu> woiccare@CLUTX.CLARKSON.EDU (Woj) writes:
>I find it incredibly interesting that many magazines (discounting _Time_
>and the _Wall_Street_Times_) have praised the album, while the majority
>of the Love-Hounds are disatisfied. I would imagine that it *does* have
>alot to do with us comparing it to the previous works, but we really
>shouldn't condemn or praise the album in comparison to her earlier mat-
>erial, rather we should do so upon its own merits.

The same thing happened with the last XTC album.  The critics were hot
to say "Totally brill!" and the fans (barring me) said: "Well, it's
OK, but not the best..."

I think it's only natural.  When you encounter ANYTHING, be it music,
or a book, or a film, or even a car, by someone who has done something
sterling in the past, you are incredibly tempted to compare the new
thing to the old.  But, I agree with you entirely.  We should examine
TSW based on its merits.  And, indeed, you so rightly ask:

>So what are its merits?

It has a lot of strong points.  It also has a lot of weak points.  My
positions have been pretty well established, so I'll just rip yours to
shreds (ha ha, joke, you're pretty on target, as far as I'm
concerned.)

>"Rocket's Tail"
>is kinda the same way --  the song is great up until the rock part -- which
>was great until I got tired of it (although the bass line in there still
>overwhelms me!) and Gilmour... (I know at least one person who will flame
>me -- in person! -- on that one)

It's amazing how divided people are on this one.  OR rather, it's amazing
how much the people who dislike the Pink Floyd-ish part of the song hate
it.  Julian West I believe falls into this category.  Personally, I love
it when the rock section kicks in, and I wish it went on for a few more
minutes.  My initial comment, in fact, was: "Way too abbreviated!"  I
don't like the way the drummer keeps leaning on the crash and splash
cymbals.  They really eat up too many high frequencies.

>"Walk Straight..." has its good points
>and I think it also shows off some of her singing ability, however, I do
>not see the similarity to Gabriel that ewveryone else hears...

I think the arpeggiating Fairlight bells in the choruses bear a
striking similarity to the beginning of "San Jacinto," and overall the
track reminds me a little of "Mercy Street." Although, "Deeper
Understanding" is much closer in tone to "Mercy Street" when you get
down to it...

>Hence, on its own, TSW deserves a bit'o'praise, but I don't think it was
>worth the four year wait (although she only worked on it for two, I know).

Aw hell, TSW deserves a LOT of praise, but it is not a perfect record
by any stretch of the imagination.  I would probably call it "a flawed
masterpiece."

>I really hope that the nest one (whenever it might be) will be incredible.

Me too, but I wouldn't get too anxious about it.  I don't think we'll
ever see another "Dreaming" or even "Ninth Wave..."

>Oops, one more thing. Does anyone know anything about the bassist on
>"the Big Sky" named Youth. I think I've heard of him, but can't place
>the name...

Well, he's on "Mother Stands For Comfort" actually, and he was in
Killing Joke and another band called Brilliant which I don't think
went anywhere, at least stateside.

+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? ----------------------+
|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu |      "Suck on this,                     |
| \|on |/rukman | jsd@umass.bitnet  |       planet of noise bimbo!"           |

beyer@FRITH.EGR.MSU.EDU (Don W Beyer) (12/06/89)

I am glad to hear from someone else who concedes that (gasp) TSW was not
worth the four (two...who cares) wait!  I guess I can come out of my
closet now, and put in my $0.02 worth:

I find _The Sensual World_ to be rather hyped.  I bought this CD over
two weeks after it's release date, becuase after hearing the TSW single,
I was not impressed.  In fact, I bought this album only because I have
all of her others--almost entirely for the sake of continuity.  My fave
KT album is still, and from the looks of it, always will be, _The
Dreaming_.  While I agree that one must look at a work of art
individually, TSW is truly going to live in the shadow of Kate's
earlier works.

I find it interesting that all the talk on this group has shifted from
rather reasonable (or unreasonable :-)) and philosophical talk about
Kate's music to her VH-1 Itenerary (If that alone doesn't tell you
about the state of her art, I don't know what does!) and where the
bonehead engineers put the laugh on the CD.  How could those poor
fellows (gals) have known that the sleep patterns of all English
speaking nations would hang upon where they put that all-important
laugh.  Not that I don't find it interesting, but I really doubt that
it deserved soooo much bandwidth--must be the EE in me...

Perhaps we should form a new group for those who will staunchly defend
TSW from any form of criticism whatsoever and call it
rec.music.seedcake.  That way, us poor simps who were slightly
disappointed by TSW can resume the discussions that I found so
refreshing and interesting pre-TSW...

Tom LeMense

All opininions expressed here belong to me and my all-bassett hound
bowling team...

butterworth@MSCF.MED.UPENN.EDU (12/08/89)

In article <8912011659.AA14137@GAFFA.MIT.EDU>, declann@scol.UUCP writes:

> Right then.
> [stuff deleted]

> WHAT ABOUT THE BLOODY MUSIC !!!!
> [more stuff deleted]

ok.  my turn...

i haven't looked at this group in a while - probably because, what with there
not having been an album out in quite some time, love-hounds have had to
contend with amusing themselves (as is their want) with discussions concerning
the arguable location of the kate symbol on old album jackets and the names of
her cats -- STUFF WHICH DOESN'T INTEREST ME ONE IOTA!

but now that her new record has hit the streets, i figured i'd catch up on some
of the stuff that DOES interest me, i.e. other people's comments (both positive
AND negative) on "The Sensual World.  i bought the new album last week having
only heard "This Woman's Work."  wasn't particularly crazy about the title but
it's no worse (or no better) than, say, "Hounds of Love" or "The Dreaming" for
that matter.  i've listened to the album about a dozen times so far (in a week;
i guess that doesn't make me a true love-hound, eh?) and here's what i think:

1. the sensual world
knocked my socks off the very first time i heard it.  great vocals, great
backing, great pacing.  love those opening church bells.  once i discovered
this was based on molly bloom's speech from joyce's "Ulysses" i liked it
even more - i remember sally kellerman's reading of the speech in the movie
"Back to School" (of all films) and read the book looking for it, only to
find it came right at the very end.  kate has kept the "feeling" of the
speech surprisingly intact, with some nice changes too ("machiavelian girl" as
opposed to "andalusian girl", for example).  as far as i'm concerned there are
only two things wrong with this cut: (i) at under 4 mins. it's way too short
and, (ii) as i consider this to be the best track on the album, "The Sensual
World" goes down hill from thereon out!  point of confusion: was this song the
first single from the album or was that "Love and Anger"?  sources appear to
vary.

2. love and anger
if this is, indeed, the first single from the album then i think the title cut
would have made a better choice.  i found this to be somewhat choppy and a bit
"noisy" in places.  i don't recall dave gilmour's contribution from the inner
sleeve and i can't say his usually unmistakeable guitar sound is in evidence
here.  more anger than love, if you ask me.

2.5 "the laugh"
does there have to be a reason for EVERYTHING anyone - even kate - does?

3. the fog
this is the kind of blend of voice, vocals and instrumentation that worked so
well on "Hounds of Love" - solid yet disparate, the album's most
transcendental cut.

4. reaching out
controversial track #1.  personally i like it a lot.  love and anger would be
a better title for this cut if you ask me, what with the soft, controlled
verses matched by an emotive and powerful chorus.  but it's not just WHAT she
sings (only kate could qualify a hand reached out for as one that "spanked")
that makes this track so strong but HOW she sings it (listen to how she
grapples with the word "explode").  not quite the sawing strings one normally
associates with michael nyman but hear me now (and believe me later);
they'll be singing this one at english soccer games before the turn of the
century.  (a real "scarf waver" if ever i heard one!)

5. heads we're dancing
kate at her quirky best and this album's answer to "Get Out of My House" or
"The Wedding List."  yeah, sure - hitler is a bad lyric to use in a song but
she doesn't dwell on it and has the audacity to follow up the reference with
a bunch of anything-but-evil do-do-do's.  no-one else could go from the
sublime to the ridiculous (and back again) with such confidence.

6. deeper understanding
anyone involved in computers should find this lyrically embarrassing.  not
only does she press "execute" but puts in that cutesy computer sound to
supposedly punctuate the irony.  come on; that's pretty old hat now (the pet
shop boys have been doing it for years!)  it's as if kate just got her first
commodore or something.  musically it's probably the most (dare i say it?)
"commercial" cut on the album - certainly more accessible than most - but the
banality of the lyrics spoil it for me.

7. between a man and a woman
nothing special here but some nice arrangements nonetheless.

8. never be mine
this is more like it!  substantive, generous, sincere - these are just some
of the words i'd use to describe this, one of the best tracks on the album.
the chorus just folds you up inside; it's a beautifully controlled, heartfelt
offering.

9. rocket's tail
controversial track #2.  this one's wasted on me.  a lot of indecisive musing
topped off with a riff which falls way short (ooh - just like a rocket...
maybe i'm missing something here?).  but again, i didn't "hear" gilmour and
even if i did it'd be too late.  this cut's much ado about nothing as far as
i'm concerned - definitely the weakest on the album.

10. this woman's work.
kate puts away the production pyrotechnics and simply let's her voice pull
it off.  and she does a very nice job, methinks...

11. <cut missing>
i have the album, not the CD/tape.

summary: "The Sensual World" is a fine album which, although not quite up to
the sophistication of its predecessor, stands head and shoulders above the
rest of today's recycled pap.  kate certainly hasn't lost anything in the
last four years but let's just hope we don't have to wait as long for the
next release.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
			      David N. Butterworth
   			   UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA
			Office of Information Technology
			 1R N.E.B. -- 420 Service Drive
			  Philadelphia, PA  19104-6020

Internet: butterworth@a1.mscf.upenn.edu         "Which shoes are those?" -- f.f.
   "Some girls' mothers are bigger than other girls' mothers..." -- Morrissey
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

waya@ll2vax.UUCP (Way A) (12/11/89)

In article <8912020701.AA02146@clutx.clarkson.edu> woiccare@CLUTX.CLARKSON.EDU (Woj) writes:
>as for "Reaching Out", well, I'll take the fifth ;) (I don't
>mind it like Drukman, mostly since it does have some of her best singing
>on the album, but I don't particularly like the anthemic feel to it (that
>has been mentiolned before));

I dunno what gives with you guys - I mean, why all this slagging off
of "Reaching Out" ? The line where she sings "Reaching out for
Mama", especially at the end, makes my spine tingle. For me, it's
the best moment on the album.

BTW, if this doesn't get a flame from Drukman I'll be disappointed
(:- ... Jon, your postings are _the_ most interesting on the net. At
least you _say_ something, not like some people "...Ooh, TSW was
played 32.657 times on so and so station today (yawwwnnnnn ...))

Andy.

jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (Jon Drukman) (12/14/89)

In article <2709@servax0.essex.ac.uk> Way A <waya@essex.ac.uk> writes:
>I dunno what gives with you guys - I mean, why all this slagging off
>of "Reaching Out" ? The line where she sings "Reaching out for
>Mama", especially at the end, makes my spine tingle. For me, it's
>the best moment on the album.
>
>BTW, if this doesn't get a flame from Drukman I'll be disappointed
>(:- ... Jon, your postings are _the_ most interesting on the net. At
>least you _say_ something, not like some people "...Ooh, TSW was
>played 32.657 times on so and so station today (yawwwnnnnn ...))
>
>Andy.

Another Andy for me to bait!  Oh joy!  Lissen up, you little person, I
don't FLAME on request, OK?  I personally don't give a squirt whether
Reaching Out turns your hormones onto overdrive or not.  On the other
hand, you made the fatal mistake of stroking my already perversely
bloated ego.  However, I must jeer at you for making fun of Ed
Suranyi, who is performing a very important service in keeping us
informed of Kate's radio success.  Admittedly, I don't really care how
many times a Bay Area station plays her songs, since I don't live in
the Bay Area and am not even planning a visit any time soon (although
Tracy Roberts, our lovely Santa Cruz jewel might be able tempt me.
howsabout it my little flower child? :-), but the information might
conceivably be of value to someone.  It should be available, in any
case.  Freedom of information is utmost on my personal political
agenda.

On an unrelated note, it seems as if I'm the only love-hounds to be
positive about the latest VH-1 special.  This is a rather odd turn of
events, but I guess my main complaint was seconded by most of the
other responses I've seen.  WHEN am I gonna get to see the whole videos?

+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? ----------------------+
|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu |      "Suck on this,                     |
| \|on |/rukman | jsd@umass.bitnet  |       planet of noise bimbo!"           |

steve@sensual.wa.COM (Steve Schonberger) (12/22/89)

I initially wrote these reviewish comments as replies to someone
else's note, but they are general enough that I thinik they stand as a
review by themselves.  So anyway, here is a sort-of review of the
album.  Enjoy or flame as you wish.

> 1. the sensual world
> knocked my socks off the very first time i heard it.  great vocals,
> great backing, great pacing.  love those opening church bells.
	[The only problem is that]
> "The Sensual World" goes down hill from thereon out!

One of my favorites too.  Great start for the album.

> 2. love and anger
> if this is, indeed, the first single from the album then i think the
> title cut would have made a better choice.  i found this to be
> somewhat choppy and a bit "noisy" in places.  i don't recall
> dave gilmour's contribution from the inner sleeve and i can't say
> his usually unmistakeable guitar sound is in evidence here.  more
> anger than love, if you ask me.

Well, for the U.S. market, I think it's probably a better single
choice, since it is somewhat more accessible.  I didn't notice a
Gilmour contribution on it, positive or negative.  I like it a lot.

> 3. the fog
> this is the kind of blend of voice, vocals and instrumentation
> that worked so well on "Hounds of Love" - solid yet disparate, the
> album's most transcendental cut.

This one never really caught me much positively or negatively.  Only
when I've listened specifically for it have I noticed it, but then
I've liked it quite a bit.

> 4. reaching out
> controversial track #1.  personally i like it a lot.

On the other hand, I'm on the don't like it side.  It's good, but not
up to her usual top quality stuff.  I'd have rather had her include
something else and cut this, or leave it for a b-side or something.

> 5. heads we're dancing
> kate at her quirky best and this album's answer to
> "Get Out of My House" or "The Wedding List."

I like this a lot too.  It's really accessible, and if not for the
risk of misunderstanding I'd say it would be a good single choice.
With that, she's best off not putting it on a single, unless the
promoters think controversy will boost sales more than it will
suppress them.

(Since writing this, I've heard rumors to the effect that this will be
the next single somewhere.  Not sure if it's the next U.S. single, the
next U.K. single, or if the rumors are just plain bogus.)

> 6. deeper understanding
> anyone involved in computers should find this lyrically
> embarrassing.  not only does she press "execute" but puts in that
> cutesy computer sound too

I like it.  I agree that the technical view of computers is pretty
cutesy, but I think it's nice.  Assuming that the computer friend is a
program is technically unrealistic, but it's a nice literary device.
Assuming it's the net (or better, something interactive like
CompuServe CB or French Minitel) makes it sound like a biography of a
lot of people I've known, ones who would on Usenet be told to "get a
life".

> 7. between a man and a woman
> nothing special here but some nice arrangements nonetheless.

A lot like my impression:  Nice but not great.

> 8. never be mine
> this is more like it!  substantive, generous, sincere - these are just some
> of the words i'd use to describe this, one of the best tracks on the album.
> the chorus just folds you up inside; it's a beautifully controlled, heartfelt
> offering.

This is one of my favorites too.  I really like the wide vocal range
in the music.  I don't notice the lyrics much unless I listen for
them, but they're really nice if I do.  The music is so cool that even
the really good lyrics are secondary.

> 9. rocket's tail
> controversial track #2.  this one's wasted on me.  a lot of
> indecisive musing topped off with a riff which falls way short
> (ooh - just like a rocket...  maybe i'm missing something here?).
> but again, i didn't "hear" gilmour and even if i did it'd be too
> late.  this cut's much ado about nothing as far as i'm concerned -
> definitely the weakest on the album.

I like this one a lot.  The switch from being critical of the friend's
strange entertainment to joining into it enthusiastic really works
well for me.  The transition from Kate and Trio mostly vocal to loud
guitar based rock goes really nicely with the thematic transition.
Musically, I'd say it's one of the stronger, showing off a lot of the
best musical resources Kate had to work with, her vocal range, the
Trio, and Gilmour's jamming.

	(and HOW can you MISS Gilmour on this, without skipping the
	latter half of the song?)

> 10. this woman's work.
> kate puts away the production pyrotechnics and simply let's her
> voice pull  it off.  and she does a very nice job, methinks...

I like this one a lot too.  And it's my girlfriend's favorite song of
any by anyone.  I didn't see the movie so I don't know the context
other than from the explanations of it I've heard and read, but I
think it stands up well with or without it.  When I'm with my
girlfriend to see her reaction to it, it's my favorite too, but by
myself it's just better-than-average-Kate.

> 11. <cut missing>
> i have the album, not the CD/tape.

It's really great.  It is a lot closer to deserving to be a single
than a bonus track, in my opinion.  It's worth the price difference
between the LP and the CD.  I might still get the LP for the big cover
though, but I haven't so far.  They should have made "Reaching Out"
the bonus track instead -- this is a lot better.

My overall impression of the album:  Something of a disappointment.
Not because it isn't a wonderful album, but because there was an
inadequate track (in my opinion, "Reaching Out"), and because it just
didn't quite make the expectations I had after the four year wait and
two godlike predecessor albums (and three more almost as great).
Taking it out of comparison with other Kate, it's top of the line
wonderful though!

Merry Christmas to all...
--
Steve Schonberger	Why should I disclaim anything when I own this site?
steve@sensual.wa.com	(Yet another site named after a Kate Bush song)

I think I'm mapped.  If it fails, use "nwnexus!sensual!steve" instead.