[rec.music.gaffa] Sinead O' Connor

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/10/89)

Really-From: juli@griggs.dartmouth.edu (Julian West)

     Ed sez Sinead sez:
>     "I like Kate Bush, so it's kind of flattering [to be compared with
> her].  I'd rather be compared with her than with someone I really
> detested. . .like Suzanne Vega, Joni Mitchell."
    When I met her (six months before this interview) she - quite reasonably -
    hated to be compared to Kate because _everyone_ (ie, not just |}) did it;
    the combined effect was to deny the originality of her music.  She must have
    mellowed out, or got used to it, over the months.

    Julian

time@sco.UUCP (01/03/90)

for those of you who are really interested in and haven't
already heard about this... Sinead is also on World Party's
album (you remember "Ship of Fools") doing back up vocals.
She's also in a World Party video doing some funky dancing
and arm flapping. For those of you who don't know who
World Party is, well, it's Kurt Wallinger who left the Irish
group The Waterboys to go solo. The Waterboys' latest album
"Fisherman's Blues" is fantastic to say the least. They have
a song called "World Party" on it and it's dedicated to Kurt.
What nice fellas. Check it out.

time

p.s.   see The Waterboys live if ya get the chance.

time and time again.

datta@VACS.UWP.WISC.EDU (David Datta) (01/03/90)

In article <4268@scolex.sco.COM> tracyr@uunet.uu.net (Irving's Pants and Alterations) writes:
>Speaking of other female vocalists, I heard a very pretty
>Sinead O'Conner song on KITS last nite.  It wasn't on her album
>(Lion and Cobra), nor was it "Still Listening" or "Jump in
>the River".  It was _something different_, and Very
>nice.  I think the d.j. said it was from a movie, but I can't
>remember the movie's name.  Perhaps a one-word title, beginning
>with a "C"???
>
>Any leads on this one greatly appreciated.

The Soundtrack is called 'Captive', the music is by 'The Edge' (from
U2) the rest of the album is all instrumental. I found my copy locally,
I think it is on Virgin America [I can check if anyone wants]. It is a
US release and should still be in print. This soundtrack is what got me
started collecting Sinead in the first place...

Happy B-Day Tracy

--
-Dave datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu

bhan@ohs.UUCP (Bruce Hansen) (01/05/90)

From article <1751@uwm.edu>, by datta@VACS.UWP.WISC.EDU (David Datta):

> In article <4268@scolex.sco.COM> tracyr@uunet.uu.net (Irving's Pants and Alterations) writes:
>>Speaking of other female vocalists, I heard a very pretty
>>Sinead O'Conner song on KITS last nite.  It wasn't on her album
>
> The Soundtrack is called 'Captive', the music is by 'The Edge' (from
> U2) the rest of the album is all instrumental. I found my copy locally,

Isn't the single that tracy was referring to called "Heroine"?  I have
to agree it's a real nice song, not at all what I'm used to hearing from
Sinead(but then, I'm not exactly a fan).

Bruce Hansen