[rec.music.gaffa] KT Music list PART ONE

IED0DXM@OAC.UCLA.EDU (01/19/90)

 To: Love-Hounds
 From: Andrew Marvick (IED)
 Subject: KT Music list PART ONE (Re-posting?)

     IED has had a bunch of e-mail requests to re-post the first
part (two parts, actually) of his list of "complete" KT music. IED
now wonders whether perhaps he never actually posted this part in
the first place. Anyway, here is the entire original posting, just
in case. Apologies in advance if this is redundant after all.
     (N.B.: The "KT NEWS" section is no longer very new.)

-- Andrew Marvick

 To: Love-Hounds
 From: Andrew Marvick (IED)
 Subject: KT NEWS; Kate Bush music-list, Part One

KT NEWS:
^^^^^^^
     Kate's next (third) _British_ single from _The_Sensual_World_
is _Love_and_Anger_. According to _Sounds_, Kate is now doing "nothing
more than thinking about another album, 'in a relaxed way.'" No info
yet on b-sides for the new UK single, nor is a release date known by IED.

Mailbag:
^^^^^^^
     First, a belated but hearty thankyou to Neil for his thoughtful
and charitable defense of IED's role in this forum. IED is given
courage to continue--ad nauseum, as the length of the present
posting confirms.
     About Ed's re-print of the _Dirty_Linen_ discography/videography:
Well done, Ed. Your remarks are all accurate, as far as IED can tell.
IED comments, however, on your annotated listings:

 > _On Stage_           Harvest 4LP-3005, UK (1979)  [This is a four-song EP
 >       taken from the Tour of Life -- I'm not sure which show, though
 >       probably Hammersmith.  The British version is actually two
 >       seven-inch records, while the French version on the Sonopresse
 >       label is one twelve-inch record.]

     At some point the EP recordings were identified as coming from the same
date (5/12/79?) as the _Hammersmith_Odeon_ video. Because the music sounds
quite different in places, however, IED must assume that considerable
"tweaking" was done to the EP recording (as well as to the video)
before release.
     Although the original British version of the _On_Stage_ EP was
indeed a double-seven-inch edition, this was extremely limited. The
first fullsize pressing of the EP was put out in the form of a _single_
33 1/3 RPM seven-inch record (with the same four tracks on it as the
double-record edition), packaged in the same gatefold seven-inch cover
as the two-record version. There was also a later, non-gatefold
edition of the EP, and _The_Single_File_ boxed set included a re-pressing
of the gatefold single-record version, though in flimsier paper.
     There were also twelve-inch pressings of the EP--not, however,
in the UK. Holland, Canada, France and Japan all put out the EP in
twelve-inch form.

 > [This list is missing the B-sides and other non-LP tracks that we've come
 > to love.]

     Indeed it is. Those who missed these are invited to see IED's
fuller list below.

 > Guest Appearances:
 > Roy Harper:  _The Unknown Soldier_, Harvest, UK (1980) [On the song
 >       "You (The Game, Part II)".]

     There is a rumor (no confirmation yet, though one can keep one's
fingers crossed) that Kate and Roy actually recorded nearly an
album's worth of material together during the _TUS_ sessions, and
that someone may actually have a dub. More info will appear when/if IED
gets any more.
     IED thought there might be some readers out there who, being new to the
group, might appreciate a more complete list of Kate's music and video to date
than the one which Ed reproduced from _Dirty_Linen_. Here, then, is IED's list
(Part One). Fans are encouraged to file this and future instalments! (N.B.:
This list is for information purposes only. Do not ask for copies of songs
from IED. The days of _obsKuriTies_ are over, as far as he is concerned.)
     This first part contains a list of all official Kate Bush releases,
followed by a thorough review and catalogue of Kate's demo recordings.

                 (Excerpted from T H E   G A R D E N)
               A Catalogue of Kate Bush's Recorded Music
            Compiled by Andrew Marvick (last update 1/9/90)

     <Here is the latest version of my list of all the Kate Bush
music that I know of. Note that this is not meant to be a
discography, but simply a list of every snippet of KT music
known by me to be in circulation. Recordings are listed in _rough_
chronological order. As a reference point, a very brief listing
of Kate's official U.K. releases to date precedes the non-LP list.
     <A complete discography, including all foreign pressings
with their catalogue numbers, is impracticable. EMI has many, many
divisions throughout the world. I have seen advertisements for
EMI-Singapore pressings of two Kate Bush records. Who knows whether
EMI-Pakistan, or EMI-Sri Lanka, or EMI-Sierra Leone haven't pressed
some Kate Bush records, too? If there's one thing I've learned in my
years of Kate Bush fanaticism, it is that even the wealthiest and
most monomaniacal fan cannot hope to amass a "complete" colleKTion,
or compile a definitive KaTalogue.
     <Finally, I'd like to thank Peter FitzGerald-Morris, the editor of
"Homeground", who has tirelessly worked over the past seven years
to keep an organized record of the facts of Kate's career. This
catalogue, and all of the other lists included in "The Garden", could
not have been made were it not for Peter's invaluable chronological
"Homeground" series, "Five Years Ago..." and "Medialog", and the
astonishingly good chronology which he compiled for EMI/IMP Publications'
"Kate Bush Complete" (a re-edition of which will re-appear in Love-Hounds
soon).>

I. BASIC OFFICIAL DISCOGRAPHY
 (For notes on the b-sides, see the non-LP-track discography after this
section.)

  A. Albums

  1. The Kick Inside:
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     Moving;
     The Saxophone Song;
     Strange Phenomena;
     Kite;
     The Man With the Child in His Eyes;
     Wuthering Heights;
     James and the Cold Gun;
     Feel It;
     Oh To Be in Love;
     L'Amour Looks Something Like You;
     Them Heavy People;
     Room For the Life;
     The Kick Inside.

  2. Lionheart:
     ^^^^^^^^^
     Symphony in Blue;
     In Search of Peter Pan;
     Wow;
     Don't Push Your Foot on the Heart Brake;
     Oh! England, My Lionheart;
     Fullhouse;
     In the Warm Room;
     Kashka From Baghdad;
     Coffee Homeground;
     Hammer Horror.

  3. Never For Ever:
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     Babooshka;
     Delius;
     Blow Away;
     All We Ever Look For;
     Egypt;
     The Wedding List;
     Violin;
     The Infant Kiss;
     Night Scented Stock;
     Army Dreamers;
     Breathing.                                   ,

  4. The Dreaming:
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^
     Sat In Your Lap;
     There Goes a Tenner;
     Pull Out the Pin;
     Suspended in Gaffa;
     Leave It Open;
     The Dreaming;
     Night of the Swallow;
     All the Love;
     Houdini;
     Get Out of My House.

  5. Hounds of Love:
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
          Side One
  ("Hounds of Love"):
     Running Up That Hill;
     Hounds of Love;
     The Big Sky;
     Mother Stands for Comfort;
     Cloudbusting;

          Side Two
  ("The Ninth Wave"):
     And Dream of Sheep;
     Under Ice;
     Waking the Witch;
     Watching You Without Me;
     Jig of Life;
     Hello Earth;
     The Morning Fog.

  6. The Whole Story:
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     Wuthering Heights (New Vocal);
     Cloudbusting;
     The Man With the Child in His Eyes;
     Wow;
     Running Up That Hill;
     Hounds of Love;
     Breathing;
     Army Dreamers;
     Sat In Your Lap;
     Experiment IV;
     The Dreaming;
     Babooshka.

  7. The Sensual World:
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     The Sensual World;
     Love and Anger;
     The Fog;
     Reaching Out;
     Heads We're Dancing;
     Deeper Understanding;
     Between a Man and a Woman;
     Never Be Mine;
     Rocket's Tail;
     This Woman's Work;
     Walk Straight Down the Middle (bonus track, on CD and cassette only).

  B. Singles, EPs, twelve-inch singles, cassette-singles and CD singles
     (U.K. releases unless otherwise stated):

  1. Wuthering Heights/Kite
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^
  2. The Man With the Child in His Eyes/Moving
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^
  3. Hammer Horror/Coffee Homeground
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  4. Wow/Fullhouse
     ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^
  5. Kate Bush On Stage (4-track live EP):
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     Them Heavy People/Don't Push Your Foot on the Heart Brake/
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     James and the Cold Gun/L'Amour Looks Something Like You
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  6. Breathing/The Empty Bullring
     ^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  7. Babooshka/Ran Tan Waltz
     ^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     (N.B.: This b-side was first called "The Ran Tan", and it has
also been identified as "Open Wide".)

  8. Army Dreamers/Delius/Passing Through Air
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  9. December Will Be Magic Again/Warm and Soothing
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 10. Sat In Your Lap/Lord of the Reedy River
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 11. The Dreaming/Dreamtime
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^
 12. There Goes a Tenner/Ne T'enfuis pas
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 13. Night of the Swallow/Houdini
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^
     (Irish release only)
 14. Ne T'enfuis pas (remix)/Un Baiser d'enfant (Canadian release)
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 15. Running Up That Hill/Under the Ivy (seven-inch)
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 16. Running Up That Hill (extended remix)/Under the Ivy/Running Up That Hill
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     (instrumental) (twelve-inch)

 17. Cloudbusting/Burning Bridge
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 18. Cloudbusting (The Orgonon Mix)/Burning Bridge/My Lagan Love (twelve-inch)
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 19. Hounds of Love/The Handsome Cabin Boy
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 20. Hounds of Love (Alternative Hounds remix)/Jig of Life/The Handsome
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^                            ^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^
     Cabin Boy (twelve-inch)
     ^^^^^^^^^
 21. The Big Sky (Special Single Mix)/Not This Time
     ^^^^^^^^^^^                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 22. The Big Sky (The Meteorological Mix)/The Morning Fog/Not This Time
     ^^^^^^^^^^^                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 23. Don't Give Up (duet with Peter Gabriel--Kate is on a-side only)
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^
 24. Experiment IV/Wuthering Heights (New Vocal);
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 25. Experiment IV (Extended Remix)/Wuthering Heights (New
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     Vocal)/December Will Be Magic Again (twelve-inch)
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 26. The Sensual World/The Sensual World (instrumental)/Walk Straight
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     Down the Middle
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 27. Love and Anger/Walk Straight Down the Middle (U.S. cassingle only)

 28. This Woman's Work (Special Single Mix)/Be Kind to My Mistakes/
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     I'm Still Waiting (twelve-inch, compact disk single)
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 29. Love and Anger/?/? (forthcoming UK twelve-inch, compact disk single)
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^ ^

II. NON-LP MUSIC, PART A: DEMO RECORDINGS

     Very little concrete information about Kate's early
demo recordings has ever been made available to fans. The number of
songs recorded, their titles, even their rough dates, remain
obscure. Kate has only released one demo recording officially,
the song "Passing Through Air"; and has played only a part of
one other demo (a song known as "Maybe") on the radio. More will
be said of these recordings below.
     Kate first began writing simple songs from about 1969, when she
was eleven years old. By 1971 she had written early versions of such
songs as "The Man With the Child in His Eyes" and "The Saxaphone Song".
In 1972 she recorded a large number of songs herself, at home,
with only her own piano accompaniment. With the help of a family
friend named Ricky Hopper Kate submitted copies of these recordings
to several publishing houses and record companies, without result. There
were at least thirty songs on each of these tapes. It is not yet clear
whether there were several different collections of thirty songs each,
or whether copies were made of a single collection of thirty; but Kate
has said that by the time she went in to record the first album,
"The Kick Inside", in 1977, she had accumulated finished versions of
"about two hundred songs", so it is quite possible that those first
demos of 1972-73 numbered more than thirty.
     It is very difficult to know how fully developed Kate's
art was by 1972. The earliest Kate Bush recording which fans can
give a solid date to is "Passing Through Air". But this recording belongs
to a _second_ group of demos. Recorded in the summer of 1973, at which
time Kate was either fourteen or fifteen years old, "Passing Through Air"
was a result of her first recording session with a band. This track was
recorded at David Gilmour's home studio, under his direction, along
with an unspecified number of other original Kate Bush compositions, including
a song which Kate has never publicly given a title, but which fans have
come to refer to as "Maybe". <N.B.: Some confusion has arisen by the
similarity in title between "Maybe"--which may once have had an alternate
title, "Davey"--and a solo-piano demo recording of a song which has come to
be known as "While Davey Dozed", or sometimes simply "Davey". The two
songs are completely different.>
     Following the rejection of the thirty-song solo demo-tapes (ca. '72-73),
family friend Ricky Hopper made contact with David Gilmour (of Pink Floyd),
whom he had known during his student years at Cambridge University.
Gilmour listened first to some of the solo recordings, and then had
Kate perform for him in person. To his great credit, he was impressed.
He arranged a rehearsal with Kate at his own home. With drummer Peter
Perrier, bassist Pat Martin (both members of the group Unicorn) and
Gilmour himself on electric guitar, Kate, singing and playing piano,
recorded simple demo recordings of several of her own songs (probably
a dozen or more), among which were the versions of "Passing Through Air"
and the so-called "Maybe" which fans know today. (Kate has never released
the latter song officially, but she did play an excerpt of it during
an appearance on a British radio programme.)
     Ten recordings from these early Gilmour sessions briefly appeared in
the form of an album (possibly East or West German) known as "Kate Bush:
The Early Years". Few people have actually seen this album, but Peter
FitzGerald-Morris, while insisting that he does not own a copy,
nevertheless did print the track-listing in his fanzine _Homeground_.
It is important to remember that none of the titles in that
track-listing has been authenticated by Kate herself. They are probably
only make-shift titles suggested by words the producers of the
album thought they heard in Kate's demo-vocals. In fact one title
in the list is almost certainly incorrect. With that qualification
duly made, I list the titles from the "Early Years" collection:

  1. Something Like a Song.
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  2. Need Your Loving. <Clearly this is simply  Passing Through Air.>
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  3. Davey. <Also known as Maybe, this is the same recording which Kate
     ^^^^^                 ^^^^^
     played part of on the radio once, and it should _not_ be confused
     with another early song, "While Davey Dozed".>

  4. You Were the Star.
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  5. Gay Farewell.
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^
  6. Cussi Cussi.
     ^^^^^^^^^^^
  7. Atlantis.
     ^^^^^^^^
  8. Sunsi.
     ^^^^^
  9. Disbelieving Angel.
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 10. Go Now While You Can.
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

     These first Gilmour-produced demo recordings also failed to
interest the labels. In 1975, therefore, Gilmour arranged for and
financed (again to his credit) another recording session, this time
under fully professional conditions. Only three songs were recorded:
"The Man With the Child in His Eyes", "The Saxophone Song" and a new
version of the song known as "Maybe". The first and second of these
three recordings were later incorporated, almost without changes, into
Kate's debut album for EMI, "The Kick Inside". The third of these
recordings was a more polished version of the song which Kate played
part of an _earlier_ version of on the radio programme "Personal Call".
_That_ version, from the _first_ Gilmour ("house") sessions, is
presumably included in the "Early Years" LP. The _second_ version
has never been heard by fans.
     This new set of three demos, together with Gilmour's personal
backing, finally succeeded in obtaining a contract for Kate with EMI.
In 1976 Kate bought a modest piano for 200 Pounds and, according to
Peter, began only then to "screech into existence her
unmistakable voice."
     Then, according to Peter, Kate went on to record two more
"tapes" of demos during the months surrounding the LP sessions. Peter
has not explained or substantiated these statements, but if we assume
that they are true, then it would seem that another set of twenty-two
demo recordings, which has now begun to circulate among fans in at
least two forms, dates from about this time--i.e., ca. 1976-1977.
     These twenty-two tracks have only started to surface within the
fan community since the spring of 1989. The first sign of their
existence came in the form of a bootleg seven-inch EP (anonymously
pressed and distributed) called "Kate Bush: The Cathy Demos, Volume One."
This EP contained four tracks, the first four of a twenty-two-track
collection of demos, all of which featured Kate singing alone and
accompanying herself at the piano without backup. Volumes Two and Three
have since quietly appeared on the market, and at least one more EP
will appear soon.
     Meanwhile, a cassette, also entirely anonymous in origin, but
sometimes called "Fiddle" (a reference to the song "Violin"), became
available through classified ads and at U.S. record swapmeets in 1989.
This cassette contained a total of twenty-two tracks, the first four of
which, in vastly superior sound, appeared as the "Cathy Demos Volume
One" EP. <Volume Two contained the next five tracks, and Volume Three
contained the next six after that.> (The sound reproduction on the
cassettes is noticeably inferior to that found on the vinyl EP.)
     Most recently, sixteen of these same recordings appeared
in LP form, under the titles "Cathy's Album" and "The Sensual Woman".
A follow-up bootleg LP is rumored to be scheduled for release early
in the spring of 1990, and it will contain the remaining tracks from
the original collection of twenty-two, as well as a group of other
unrelated rare recordings (about which the reader may learn more below).
     If Peter's claims about Kate's development of her
high range only after the beginning of 1976 are accurate, then
we must conclude that this collection of twenty-two songs dates
from the period 1976-1977. Certainly the sophistication of Kate's
compositional style, lyrics and keyboard work support such a dating.
On the other hand, if the collection dates from 1976 or 1977, then
we must accept the notion that Kate was re-recording songs (such as
"Something Like a Song", "Disbelieving Angel" and "Davey") which
she had already composed four or even five years earlier, and
which she had recorded with Gilmour during her first sessions with
a band in the summer of 1973. This is possible, of course, but it
also suggests the possibility that the collection of twenty-two
songs dates from considerably earlier than 1976. Whatever the
correct date of the recordings, they are an absolutely invaluable
document of Kate's early talent and astoundingly precocious
mastery of the crafts of songwriting and performance.
     With the exception of the five titles which have since been
authenticated through their inclusion in Kate's albums, the
titles on the following list of twenty-two songs are completely
hypothetical, and in some cases may not even accurately reflect
the songs' lyrical content. They are merely temporary and
tentative titles which are used solely to facilitate identification
of individual songs. In some cases I have not even been sure of
the words I have chosen to represent the songs, because the
sound quality of the recordings is not clear enough to enable
me to decipher the lyrics properly. These disclaimers made, then,
here are the twenty-two songs which make up, for want of a better
group title, the "Cathy Demos" collection:

  1. The Kick Inside.
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  2. Hammer Horror.
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  3. Feeling Like a Waltz. <Incorrectly identified as "A Rose Growing
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     Old" on the "Cathy Demos" Volume One EP: the word "waltz" was
     mistaken for "rose".>

  4. Keeping Me Waiting.
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  5. Kashka From Baghdad.
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  6. Camilla <possibly Carmilla>.
     ^^^^^^^           ^^^^^^^^
  7. Oh To Be In Love.
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  8. Playing Canasta in Cold Rooms.
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  9. Set in the Snow.
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 10. Ferry Me Over (the Music), or Dali.
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^     ^^^^
 11. Where Are the Lionhearts?, or On The Rocks. <N.B.: Not an early version
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^     ^^^^^^^^^^^^
     of "Oh England My Lionheart", but a completely different song.>

 12. Violin.
     ^^^^^^
 13. The Craft of Love, or possibly The Craft of Life.
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 14. Gay Farewell, or possibly Eddie the Queen.
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 15. Something Like a Song.
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 16. Frightened Eyes.
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 17. Disbelieving Angel.
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 18. Nevertheless, You'll Do.
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 19. Goodnight, Baby, or Who Is Sylvia?.
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 20. You're Soft, or perhaps simply Soft.
     ^^^^^^^^^^^                    ^^^^
 21. (I Don't Know Why I Shouldn't) Pick the Rare Flower.
 22. While Davey Dozed, or perhaps simply Davey.
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     An additional six demo recordings have recently begun
to circulate among fans, in very poor-quality audio. These
recordings are of a far more refined and polished type, and
are fully orchestrated and produced. They would seem to
have been recorded in 1976 or 1977, and are probably among the many
tracks which were worked on prior to the final selection
of the thirteen songs on "The Kick Inside". Five of the titles are
familiar: "Moving", "Don't Push Your Foot on the Heart Brake",
"L'Amour Looks Something Like You", "Kite" and "Strange Phenomena".
They are very professional in sound, but Kate's vocals seem (perhaps
only in hindsight) a bit constrained by the backing rhythm, and the
tone of some of the instrumentalists' work sounds inappropriately
lightweight for the songs, in comparison with their official versions.
     The sixth track from this group of demos is an unreleased song
called "Scares Me Silly". Apparently an effort by Kate to make a very
pop-oriented tune, it is extremely bouncy and catchy, laden with melodic
hooks. Its lyrics are fascinating, as well (they describe the challenge
of retaining the original spark of feeling of a song during the recording
process). Perhaps the song's carefree tone may have been the reason for
its omission from "The Kick Inside", though as is often the case with
Kate's music, the lyrics belie the song's light-hearted sound.
     Finally, there are at least two known demo versions of the song
"Babooshka". Excerpts from the demos were apparently played by Kate
herself on a British radio programme ca. 1980 or 1982. (I have
heard that she played demos of "Sat In Your Lap" as well, although
this has never been confirmed.) The first demo of "Babooshka"
features Kate on piano, and she has added one backing vocal during
the choruses. The second version has a percussion pattern from an
early rhythm-box, and features a synthesizer and, in addition to
the lead vocal, at least two over-dubbed backing vocals.
     The six demos from ca. 1976-77 and the two demos of "Babooshka"
are both rumored to be included in the forthcoming bootleg album
follow-up to "Cathy's Album". This second LP will also
(it is rumored) contain Kate's never-released cover version
of "Brazil", the title song from the Terry Gilliam film, for
which Michael Kamen composed the orchestral score. (Don't expect
to hear this version in the film itself--it was recorded for the
soundtrack album only, after the film had already been released,
and if it ever becomes available, it will be through the bootleg
market.)