[rec.music.gaffa] Tangerine Dream

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/06/89)

Really-From: lorch <@JHMAIL.HCF.JHU.EDU:lorch@JHUNIX.BITNET>

>"Daniel S. Efran" <de0t+@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

>> P.S.  What do people think about Tangerine Dream?  Their newest stuff is
>> almost as bad as their earliest, but from about 1978 to about 1986 (from
>> Tangram to Underwater Sunlight, roughly) they were incredible.  Does
>> anybody know if they have a new third member yet, since Chris Franke
>> left?

I think I'd agree that most of their best stuff came from 1977 (Stratosphear
is my favorite) to the mid-1980's, but I like a lot of their recent albums
as well.  "Optical Race" is an excellently crafted pop album - much as I
liked the longer, side-long pieces, I think they've done a great job on
the shorter songs.  I *really* like their soundtrack to "Legends", and I
think Le Parc is pretty good, too.

The newest guy is named Ralph Wadephul (I'm pretty sure that's how you
spell his last name.  I don't think he's appeared on an album yet, except
for one cut on "Optical Race".  He should be on the new one, "Lily on the
Beach", which is supposed to be out any day now on Private Music label.
He, like the first new guy, is in his early to mid 20's.  Don't it make
ya sick? 8-}

--
John Lorch                      UUCP:   mimsy!aplcen!jhunix!lorch
Johns Hopkins University        ARPA:   lorch@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu

newman@CPSVAX.CPS.MSU.EDU (Timothy S Newman) (12/07/89)

Hello, fans of fine music!  Some time ago - back before Kate had
her own newsgroup (!) - someone posted two album recommendations for
Tangerine Dream.  I have been unable to find either of the two - Le
Jette or Le Park.  (Perhaps it is La instead of Le?)

This past weekend I purchased _Optical_Race_ on the recommendation of
the salesperson at the local record store.  I found it to be fantastic!
Can anyone offer me some suggestions for more TD albums?  I have heard
that their newest album, Lillies, is quite different from Optical Race,
so I am a little hesitant to purchase that one.

Please e-mail your responses.  If there is interest, I will post the
results.

de0t+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Daniel S. Efran") (01/17/90)

If anybody has any questions about Tangerine Dream (like, "what albums
should I buy?") I'm a good person to email.  I've got most of their
albums and I know which ones are similar (so if you like a specific one
I can tell you which others you'll probably like, etc.).  In general, I
like to talk about them.  I'm not saying I'm an expert--that would be a
dangerous thing to say even if it was true.  But I'm a dedicated fan.

About the laugh on TSW:
(no, I'm not REALLY bringing it up again)
It always sounds to me like the laugh at the beginning of "Wipe Out"
(that old surfing-era song, you know) (maybe the title is one word, I
don't know).
This would indicate a definite connection to the "water" theme of  _The
Fog_ -- learning to swim; surfing; wiping out and having to swim; etc.
What do you think?  (for example, do you think I'm serious?)  It sounds
pretty silly, but go back and listen to the laugh (and the other one, if
you can find it) and see if you can hear a connection.  It's even at the
same place in the song, and there's room for you to say "wipe out"
before the music starts.

	---The "How long can we spend discussing two seconds of audio?" Sphere

P.S.  No, this is not a sarcastic complaint about the idiotic
discussions that sometimes arise from two seconds of audio or one
incorrect song title in an interview.  I actually enjoy them.  They're
amusing.
P.P.S.  Somebody told me that one of the times Kate presses "execute" in
Deeper Understanding the little "beep" noises are actually bird noises.
I heard it when my friend pointed it out, but now I can't find it again.
 Was this just a mutual hallucination we had, or is there something to
it?  If there is, it opens up a whole realm of symbolism:  the
"sensuality" and organic-ness of computers, etc., etc.  If not, it opens
up a whole realm of pointless discussion about what those tiny little
noises actually are.  Two seconds of *background* audio, no less!
(I really do want to know if anyone else can hear this.)

iav1917@ritcv.UUCP (alan i. vymetalik) (01/20/90)

In article <UZgqKZe00Xoa42fEVd@andrew.cmu.edu> de0t+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU ("Daniel S. Efran") writes:
>If anybody has any questions about Tangerine Dream (like, "what albums
>should I buy?") I'm a good person to email.  I've got most of their
>albums and I know which ones are similar (so if you like a specific one
>I can tell you which others you'll probably like, etc.).  In general, I
>like to talk about them.  I'm not saying I'm an expert--that would be a
>dangerous thing to say even if it was true.  But I'm a dedicated fan.

   Hi Daniel and other Tangerine Dream fans hanging out in this newgroup:

   Another person to check with on Tangerine Dream is myself, the self-
   proclaimed "Usenet TD Evangelist" (pretty heavy, hmm?).  Another news-
   group to check is rec.music.newage.  There are a number of articles
   and message threads floating around there on one of the most prolific
   bands of the last twenty years (one TD collector has a listed collection
   of over 850 albums, soundtracks, singles, bootlegs, videos, and other
   items from the band and all of its alumni).  Prolific, maybe, but their
   music is fantastic.  I have most of TDs albums (and everything that's
   available on CD - over 35 CDs), many alumni albums, and several bootlegs
   (but I dont' think I'll ever hit the 800 mark, however...)

   So, Daniel, why haven't we communicated before?  I was somewhat to see
   TD talked about in this newsgroup.  Well, more power to communication!

   Enjoy,
   alan

   Alan I. Vymetalik, 2244 East Avenue #5, Rochester, New York, 14610-2518
                      USA, Phone: (716)-271-8528
     ...!rochester!ritcv!iav1917  -or-  ...!rochester!rit!ritcv!iav1917
        ritcv!iav1917@rochester.UUCP  -or-  iav1917%ritcv@cs.rit.edu
     /If I can't be reached via any of the above e-paths, please write./

butterworth@MSCF.MED.UPENN.EDU (01/23/90)

In article <1544@cs.rit.edu>, iav1917@ritcv.UUCP (alan i. vymetalik) writes:

>    Hi Daniel and other Tangerine Dream fans hanging out in this newgroup:
>
>    Another person to check with on Tangerine Dream is myself, the self-
>    proclaimed "Usenet TD Evangelist" (pretty heavy, hmm?).  Another news-
>    group to check is rec.music.newage.  There are a number of articles
>    and message threads floating around there on one of the most prolific
>    bands of the last twenty years (one TD collector has a listed collection
>    of over 850 albums, soundtracks, singles, bootlegs, videos, and other
>    items from the band and all of its alumni).  Prolific, maybe, but their
>    music is fantastic.  I have most of TDs albums (and everything that's
>    available on CD - over 35 CDs), many alumni albums, and several bootlegs
>    (but I dont' think I'll ever hit the 800 mark, however...)
>
>    So, Daniel, why haven't we communicated before?  I was somewhat to see
>    TD talked about in this newsgroup.  Well, more power to communication!

Well, guys ... count me in!  I too have nearly 50 recordings to date (40 LPs,
5 12" singles and 2 CDs, solo offerings not included) so I guess that also
makes me a true TD afficiando.  I'm happy to see there are others like myself
out there (I figured there was) and so, in an attempt to start the ball rolling
of sorts, below is a copy of a response I sent to someone a while back who had
just stumbled upon "Lily on the Beach" and wanted to know what else there was
to recommend, if anything, by this prolific and certainly influential group
(and I apologize to that person for blindly regurgitating this).  Your comments
are more than welcome.  (BTW, I would also be interested in seeing that listed
collection of some 850 albums.  And I thought I had a lot!)

The first Tangerine Dream lp I bought was "Force Majeure" back in 1979; it was
in fact their 12th album.  But it was a good one to start out with because it
was, in its own way, a breakthrough album - very different from those that
preceeded it.  Up until that point, virtually all their work could be described
as electronic tone poems - atmospheric, atonal experiments in sound, quite
revolutionary then but somewhat boring by today's standards.  But "Force
Majeure" introduced some new elements, including rhythms and an upbeat,
"uptempo" style (best exemplified by the classic cut "Cloudburst Flight") which
has increased with each successive album.  Add to their repetoire a bunch of
soundtracks and some fine live recordings and you have a band which "remains
deceptively complex behind their synth-gloss exterior."

If you like "Optical Race," you might want to check out their previous three
studio albums -- "Tyger" (1987), "Underwater Sunlight" (1986) and "Le Parc"
(1985), just to get an idea of where they're coming from.  "Tyger" contains a
lot of trite female vocals but the music is good.  "Le Parc" has its moments,
but is not one of their better offerings in recent years.  You're better off
with "Underwater Sunlight," which contains the majestic "Song for the Whale"
and what I consider to be the quintessential Tangerine Dream cut - "Dolphin
Dance" - simple yet brilliant!

Personally I find their live albums to be among their best; the band rarely
tours without releasing an accompanying album of previously unheard (i.e.
unrecorded) music.  (The audience at these concerts is pretty amazing too,
ranging from tie-dyed hippies to grandparents!)  Highly recommended are
"Livemiles" (1988) and "Pergamon" (1986), but even their second live album
"Encore" (1977) has a lot going for it, including the wonderful "Cherokee
Lane."  "Tangram" (1980, the band's follow-up to "Force Majeure") has the
"look and feel" of a live album too (though it is decidedly studio-bound),
and remains one of my favorites.

shy away from their "early" period, 1974-76.  Some strong albums from their
"middle" period (1977-1982) include "Exit," "Thief" (soundtrack) and "White
Eagle."  Since then, I'd recommend you lend an ear to the double live "Poland"
album, as well as the soundtracks for "Wavelength" and "Heartbreakers."

I hope this has been semi-useful.  I know I haven't gotten down to the
nitty-gritty and described the music itself but one listen to, say, "Kiew
Mission" (from "Exit") or "Mojave Plan" (from "White Eagle") should speak
mountains for me.

			      David N. Butterworth
   			   UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA
			Office of Information Technology
			 1R N.E.B. -- 420 Service Drive
			  Philadelphia, PA  19104-6020

Internet: butterworth@a1.mscf.upenn.edu         "Which shoes are those?" -- f.f.
   "Some girls' mothers are bigger than other girls' mothers..." -- Morrissey