[rec.music.gaffa] Ofra Haza

relph@PRESTO.IG.COM (John M. Relph) (01/20/90)

Maitland Bottoms <bottoms@radar.nrl.navy.mil> said (about Ofra Haza):
>Desert Wind   ?? Second Album ??
> - I have 3 CDs:
>	Yemenite Songs
>	Sha Day   (However it's spelled - the one on Sire)
>	Desert Wind
>- it's the second one on Sire, I guess, but I am lead to believe from
>the liner notes that she's had more of a career in Israel than these
>three releases would suggest. Anyone know of others?

Yes, I had (maybe even still have in my used pile) another album, very
pop, and I didn't like it.  I believe she has piles of earlier albums,
as well.

	-- John

woiccare@CLUTX.CLARKSON.EDU (woj) (01/20/90)

Hmmm...apparantly, the release that we got in at the station yesterday
appears to be an American release of a previous album or a re-issue that
the company thought would be nice to send to us. Sorry about the misin-
formation.

Also, further investigation has revealed the Anna Domino EP I mentioned
to be an American release of the 1988 European EP. This particular one
is on Giant Records (a far cry from Giant's previous bands such as Dag
Nasty...). In any event, it is now (or will be soon) easily available in
the States which is a Good Thing.

woj

lorch@JHUNIX.BITNET (lorch) (01/22/90)

Maitland Bottoms writes to say that he/she has the three albums by Ofra
Haza that were released in the USA:

>>      Yemenite Songs
>>      Sha Day   (However it's spelled - the one on Sire)
>>      Desert Wind

>>- it's the second one on Sire, I guess, but I am lead to believe from
>>the liner notes that she's had more of a career in Israel than these
>>three releases would suggest. Anyone know of others?

I was told once that she is a really big star in Israel, but that "the Fifty
Gates of Wisdom" (the album of Yemenite songs) was the first that put an
ethnic slant to her music.  Her previous albums, I'm told, sound like
"an Israeli Barabara Streisand".

I'm not familiar with any but the first two on the list above.

--
John Lorch                      UUCP:   mimsy!aplcen!jhunix!lorch
Johns Hopkins University        ARPA:   lorch@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu

dadoun@CS.UBC.CA (Nou Dadoun) (01/23/90)

John Lorch wrote:
>Maitland Bottoms writes to say that he/she has the three albums by Ofra
>Haza that were released in the USA:

>>      Yemenite Songs
>>      Sha Day   (However it's spelled - the one on Sire)
>>      Desert Wind

>I was told once that she is a really big star in Israel, but that "the Fifty
>Gates of Wisdom" (the album of Yemenite songs) was the first that put an
>ethnic slant to her music.  Her previous albums, I'm told, sound like
>"an Israeli Barabara Streisand".

That's a fairly accurate description, I have an Israeli compilation double
album called The Golden Album which is a mix of Streisand-style pop stuff
(bouncy things that are sometimes reminiscent of Hava Nagilah)
and stuff from The 50 Gates of Wisdom (including Galbi).  Although 50 Gates
is delightful, I'm not fond of Shaday (particularly loathing the Bomb The
Bass remix of Galbi) and I've heard Desert Wind once, more of the same.

---------------------------------------------------------------> Nou

It's the megablast!

==
Nou Dadoun	  	  | {ihnp4!alberta,uw-beaver,uunet}!
Dept. of Computer Science |  ubc-vision!ubc-csgrads!dadoun
Univ. of British Columbia | dadoun@grads.cs.ubc.ca
Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1W5   | dadoun%ubc.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
(604) 228-4912            | dadoun@ubc.csnet
(604) 228-5485 [FAX]      |

woiccare@CLUTX.CLARKSON.EDU (woj) (01/23/90)

lorch@JHUNIX.BITNET (lorch):
> I was told once that she is a really big star in Israel, but that "the Fifty
> Gates of Wisdom" (the album of Yemenite songs) was the first that put an
> ethnic slant to her music.  Her previous albums, I'm told, sound like
> "an Israeli Barabara Streisand".

One song on _desert_wind_ called "Fantasamorgana" (or something similar),
which is produced by none other than Tom Dolby lends credence to that
statement - it's a piss-poor ballad. Very blah.

woj