[rec.music.gaffa] Cocteau Discography

mendel@CS.UIUC.EDU (Michael Mendelson) (02/02/90)

here is the CT discography I have so far.  Any comments on these
such as strong points and weak points and suggested purchase order
would be appreciated.  Corrections encouraged.

Albums
------
Garlands				LP,CD
Head over heels				LP,CD
Treasure				LP,CD
Victorialand				LP,CD
Blue bell knoll				LP,CD
Tiny dynamine/echoes in a shalow bay	CD
The pink-opaque				CD
The moon & the melodies
      (with Harold Budd)		LP,CD

Singles
-------
Aikea-Guinea				12"
Tiny dynamine				12"
Echoes in a shallow bay			12"
Love's easy tears			12"
Sunburst and snowblind			12"

butterworth@MSCF.MED.UPENN.EDU (02/02/90)

In article <9002011739.AA32141@m.cs.uiuc.edu>, (Michael Mendelson) writes:
> here is the CT discography I have so far.  Any comments on these
> such as strong points and weak points and suggested purchase order
> would be appreciated.  Corrections encouraged.
>
> Albums
> ------
[list deleted]

> Singles
> -------
> Aikea-Guinea					12"
> Tiny dynamine					12"
> Echoes in a shallow bay			12"
> Love's easy tears				12"
> Sunburst and snowblind			12"

You should add to the list of 12" singles the following:

 Lullabies
 Peppermint Pig
 The Spangle Maker
 Love's Easy Tears (4 tracks, as opposed to the earlier, 3-track release)

I started out with HEAD OVER HEELS and ended up buying everything else by them
so that would seem to be a pretty representative album (they've done so few lps
to warrant any kind of buying order, however - just snatch them all up if you
can!). TREASURE is their most consistent offering to date, beautifully realized.
I was very disappointed by GARLANDS, with only "deaf dumb blind" (?) a standout.
VICTORIALAND is more cerebral than their other stuff, less "vocally" to an
extent but still moving, musically.  THE PINK OPAQUE is a compilation of stuff
from a couple of 12"s but worth it for "millimillenary" (sp?) alone, a track not
found any place else.  And, surprisingly after what seemed like a long layoff,
BLUE BELL KNOLL, their first U.S. release I understand, is perhaps their best
album to date, the title cut being particularly note- (or should I say tune-?)
worthy.  The 12"s offer pretty much more of the same, i.e. all worth getting.

tracyr@UUNET.UU.NET (crispy chicken wings) (02/03/90)

In article <9002011739.AA32141@m.cs.uiuc.edu> mendel@CS.UIUC.EDU (Michael Mendelson) writes:
>here is the CT discography I have so far.  Any comments on these
>such as strong points and weak points and suggested purchase order
>would be appreciated.  Corrections encouraged.
>
>  [...]
>
> Victorialand

I love this one!  Very pretty, airy, emotion-provoking.  My
favorite song is "Lazy Calm".

>Blue bell knoll				LP,CD

Nice.  Their latest.  Track 6 is one of my fave's (can't
remember the title).

>The pink-opaque				CD

My favorite.  I think it may be a compilation, taking songs from a
number of albums.

>Aikea-Guinea				12"

Absolutely my favorite Cocteau Twins song of all!!  I never
knew it came in a 12" version!!  Where in the bay area can I
get this???

What would it be like to hear KaTe and Liz do a song
together?!!

Tracy,
uunet!sco!tracyr,
tracyr@sco.com

--
"The CIA must have been a fun place to work in the '50s."
						--hiramc