[rec.music.gaffa] I *like* peas

mendel@CS.UIUC.EDU (Michael Mendelson) (01/24/90)

OK, so I finally succumbed to the peer ravings and obtained
Beautiful Pea Green Boat's Still Life.  After a few listenings:

It's quite good... I certainly wouldn't say *excellent* as a few
people have, at least not yet.  Powerhouse instantly reminded me
of Philip Glass' Liquid Days LP... it's almost identical.  Did
anyone else notice this?  Unlike just about everyone else on LH,
I do like the name of the band... reminds me of the Split Enz
song Six Men in a Leaky Boat.  The lyrics to the songs however
I find to be pretty much unintelligible.  If anyone has gone through
the trouble of writing these down and wants to post them that would
be Kately.  Finally, my favorite song on the album thus far: Too Much.
Later, love hounds.

			        			.
			 			 /\/\  / /\/\
						/ / /_/ / / /

						"It's only surreal..."

nessus@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Douglas Alan) (01/24/90)

I don't know what this is with most people not liking the name
Beautiful Pea Green Boat.  Don't any of you remember the wonderful
poem, "The Owl and the Pussy Cat"?

     The Owl and the Pussy Cat went to sea
     in a beautiful pea green boat.
     They brought some honey, and plenty of money
     wrapped in a ten pound note.
     [etc]
     The Owl said to the Pussy, "My love,
     what a beautiful Pussy you are, you are.
     What a beautiful Pussy you are."
     [etc]

or something like that?  Just being reminded of this great poem brings
me pleasure, and anyone who doesn't like the name of this band is a
hosehead in my book!

|>oug

G is for G.G., who was locked in a box

P.S.  Does anyone remember I Hate Peas french fries?  They were frozen
french fries that were green because they had ground up peas in them.
They also had I Hate Carrots french fries, and I Hate Spinach french
fries, and I Hate Beets french fries.  The TV commercials for them had
a kid singing a song that went:

	I hate arithmetic and A, B, C's.
        I hate washing my elbows and my knees.
        I hate saying "thank you" and "please",
        but more than anything, I hate peas!

They weren't around for very long.  Another great idea that was before
its time....

jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (Welcome to the Terrordome) (01/24/90)

In article <NESSUS.90Jan23125723@gaffa.athena.mit.edu> nessus@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Douglas Alan) writes:
>I don't know what this is with most people not liking the name
>Beautiful Pea Green Boat.  Don't any of you remember the wonderful
>poem, "The Owl and the Pussy Cat"?
>
>     The Owl and the Pussy Cat went to sea
>     in a beautiful pea green boat.
>     They brought some honey, and plenty of money
>     wrapped in a ten pound note.

I actually like the name Beautiful Pea Green Boat and I do consider
them to be a band capable of total excellence at times.  By no means
is "Still Life" a perfect album, but it's damn amazing in spots.

And, |>oug, I had never heard that poem before you posted it.  But
thanks for doing so!  I would've never realized where the band got its
name from otherwise...  Anybody have the complete text?

+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? ----------------------+
|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | "I can say with confidence I know a     |
| \|on |/rukman | jsd@umass.bitnet  |  fair bit about LSD."   -- Dan Rather   |

robinson@wtvc15.enet.DEC.COM (Willard Robinson) (02/03/90)

What label is this on - is it out on cd?
(any group that sounds like Propaganda I want to hear...

will	decwrl!islnds.dec.com!robinson

//  devil bunnies

datta@VACS.UWP.WISC.EDU (David Datta) (02/03/90)

In article <8051@shlump.nac.dec.com> robinson@wtvc15.enet.dec.com (Willard Robinson) writes:
>What label is this on - is it out on cd?
>(any group that sounds like Propaganda I want to hear...

 Title: Still Life
Artist: Beautiful Pea Green Boat
United States, C'est La Mort Records: CLMCD009
5" CD Album, 12 Tracks, 62 Minutes, 18 Seconds
1989

tracks 4,8,9,10 CD only bonus tracks

  1  6.21 The Powerhouse
  2  4.40 Hammers Of Islam
  3  4.22 Too Much
  4  4.47 When Dreams Moved In
  5  5.23 The Vase
  6  3.47 Among The Ruins
  7  5.00 Paper House
  8  5.54 Danielle
  9  5.47 Mirror Of Souls
 10  5.36 The Screw
 11  4.54 Nostalgia
 12  5.48 And She Laughed Too

See Also:
	Various, Doctor Death's Volume III Les Peches De L'amant
		Track 8  4.41 Hammers Of Islam

C'est La Mort Records
P.O. Box 91
Baker LA 70714
(504) 774-8286

I believe they are also distributed through Music New Hampshire AKA
Wayne Green's CD sales... (I hate to do this, but for Woodrow, I will)
see CD Review magazine

--
-Dave 	datta@vacs.uwp.wisc.edu
	....uwm!uwpvacs!datta

lazlo@ARIEL.UNM.EDU (Lazlo Nibble) (02/05/90)

Will Robinson writes (about Beautiful Pea Green Boat):

> (any group that sounds like Propaganda I want to hear...)

Dave posted the relevant discographical info . . . I picked this up last
week and enjoyed it quite a bit.  When they're compared to Propaganda
that's more a description of the production than the band's music -- BPGB
definitely have the ZTT "Big Sound" down pat and they only sound as techno
as Propaganda on a few tracks, though on those tracks it's a pretty
convincing comparison.  The vocalist is just a liiiiittle more
breathy than Claudia Brucken or Suzanne Freytag . . . :-)

I wouldn't call it "essential listening" but it's a decent album.

                                                   Lazlo (lazlo@ariel.unm.edu)
"At last!  A cure for loud Hawaiian shirts!"