[rec.music.gaffa] David Sylvian

GREGW%BNR.CA@MITVMA.MIT.EDU (Greg Ward, G.T.) (12/24/89)

In article <275@bhpese.bhpese.oz> michaelf@bhpese.bhpese.OZ.AU (Michael Freund)
writes:
>Since David has remained very quiet this year, I would greatly appreciate any
>enlightening information you could send regarding his recent musical/artistic
>activities/releases.  I even heard a rumour that Japan were reforming!  Do you
>know if this is true?

Another David Sylvian fan here. I think he's the male equivalent of Kate Bush!
There was an interview with him in the September 16 Melody Maker. He said
that "The past two years have been very difficult, a period of transition."
The article mentions the upcoming single "Pop Song" and also "Weatherbox",
a CD collection of his albums. I had assumed this would be a single CD with
a selection of songs from each album, but there is nothing in the article to
contradict the rumours that it will be a 5 CD set. In the article they also
talk about a second collaboration with Holgar Czukay called "Flux and
Mutability". I have seen this in the stores already. I have also heard the
rumours about Japan reforming, from more than one source, which leads me
to believe quite strongly in them. This has the potential to be an amazing
album, considering what the members have done since Japan broke up 7 years ago.
I really like the Dolphin Brothers' "Catch the Fall", but in a different way
than I like Sylvian's work.

>1985 - Words With The Shaman   (Mini CD)

This is available on CD? W O W! Is it the complete version than was released
on cassette, or just the abbreviated version released as an EP? I'll have to
look for it.

>1985?- Alchemy: An Index of Possibilities?   (Cassette)

What is this? Is it the cassette version of "Words With the Shaman"?

>1987 - Trophies: The Lyrics of David Sylvian   (Book)

I've heard of this, but never seen it. I'd definitely like to own it. Is it
easy to obtain?

By the way, IED has revealed on a number of occasions that he is an admirer
of David Sylvian's work. I believe that Kate Bush aside, Sylvian is one of
his favourite artists. Of course if I'm imagining this, IED will be quick to
dispute it. I wonder if he has any information about David Sylvian's current
activities/releases?

    Greg Ward

michaelf@bhpese.bhpese.oz (Michael Freund) (01/04/90)

Greg,

>I really like the Dolphin Brothers' "Catch the Fall", but in a different way
>than I like Sylvian's work.

I've only heard the first Dolphin Brothers' single - it sounded far too
commercial for my liking.  The B-side was OK, though.
The first (pre-Dolphin Brothers) Jansen / Barbieri collaboration was the
instrumental album _Worlds In A Small Room_.  This is fantastic.  Very
atmospheric and very original - have a listen.

>>1985 - Words With The Shaman   (Mini CD)
>
>This is available on CD? W O W! Is it the complete version than was released
>on cassette, or just the abbreviated version released as an EP? I'll have to
>look for it.

This 3 inch CD contains exactly the same tracks as the original EP:

			Pt. 1  Ancient Evening
			Pt. 2  Incantation
			Pt. 3  Awakening

>>1985?- Alchemy: An Index of Possibilities?   (Cassette)
>
>What is this? Is it the cassette version of "Words With the Shaman"?

See discussions on WeatherBox in rec.music.gaffa for a description.

>>1987 - Trophies: The Lyrics of David Sylvian   (Book)
>
>I've heard of this, but never seen it. I'd definitely like to own it. Is it
>easy to obtain?

		TROPHIES: The Lyrics of David Sylvian   (1987)
		-------------------------------------

TROPHIES is a 64 page publication containing the lyrics of 30 songs by
David Sylvian, including four previously unpublished titles.  The book,
size 15 cm x 21 cm, has been designed by Vaughn Oliver, with b&w photographs
by Nigel Grierson (both of 23 Envelope) with an original cover in full colour
by Russell Mills.

Two years ago, the prices were: POUNDS 6.50  for the book and
				POUNDS 4.00  for air-mail outside U.K.

Orders for all items should be addressed to:

				Order Department
				Opium (Arts) Ltd.
				17 Gosfield Street
				London, W1P 7HE
				United Kingdom

Overseas customers should make their remittance in POUNDS STERLING;
by International Money Order, Girobank, or Eurocheque;  and be made payable
to Opium (Arts) Ltd.

Regards, Michael.

fd0o+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Fleur Diana Dragan) (02/04/90)

Recently on the music.misc board someone posted that you had a discussion about
the D. Sylvian boxed CD set.

Could someone re-post that information?  I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, on the same bboard, someone mentioned that Japan had reformed and were recording in Marakesh for an album due out this year.  Is this true?

Fleur

fd0o+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Fleur Diana Dragan) (02/22/90)

Does anyone have David Sylvian's collection of lyrics/poems called
Trophies?  There is a poem in part two called Nagarkot, right after
Brilliant Trees, and I would like to know if anyone has any idea as to
what Nagarkot means.  The closest I can come is that it must be a
hilltop somewhere, but where?  It may mean something completely
different;  Since it comes right after most of the work he did in
Germany, it could have some meaning in German......

Anyone?

Fleur