[rec.music.gaffa] TSW

bloch%mandrill@UCSD.EDU (Steve Bloch) (11/03/89)

well!sommers@cogsci.berkeley.edu (William Sommers) writes:
>I fail to find much redeeming in _This_Woman's_Work_ other than
>Her presence. Did the contract fail to specify any use of her
>vocal abilities or what?

Odd -- _TWW_ was the one song that struck me as special on my first
listening.  As I type this, I'm on my fourth listening, and which
songs have that effect changes every time I put the thing on.

"Writers are a funny breed -- I should know." -- Jane Siberry

bloch%cs@ucsd.edu

eboneste@BBN.COM (Liz Bonesteel) (02/14/90)

Was listening to HOL this AM, and I realized what it is that keeps TSW
from being (IMHO) a great KaTe album:

	It's not bizarre.

It's got some innovative bits to it, but it's just too "real-world." I
listen to a song like "Watching You Without Me" or "Hello Earth", and
I wonder what happened to KaTe's little streak of weirdness.

TSW is a great album.  But it's too ordinary to be a great KaTe album.

Another dreadfully humble opinion from

Liz
----
You come walking into this room
Like you're walking into my arms
What would I do without you?

	- KaTe

jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka) (02/14/90)

In article <52159@bbn.COM> Liz Bonesteel <eboneste@BBN.COM> writes:

>I wonder what happened to KaTe's little streak of weirdness.
>
>TSW is a great album.  But it's too ordinary to be a great KaTe album.

Hmm.  Strange.  I, too, find a surprising disparity between HoL and
TSW (though I love both).  But this is more a different style of music and
voicing.  I'm surprised that you don't see a streak
of weirdness on TSW.  I remember being utterly shocked by Rocket's Tail
the first time I heard it... related (thanks to the Trio Bulgarka) is
Deeper Understanding.  While the "weirdness" may take a different form
from that on HoL, I tend to attribute it to artistic progression
rather than anything else.

Jeff

"And dressed as a rocket on Waterloo bridge
 Nobody seems to see me"

stewarte@sco.COM (cutting edge is sharp, avoid contact) (02/23/90)

Liz Bonesteel <eboneste@BBN.COM> will no doubt deny ever having said:

>TSW is a great album.  But it's too ordinary to be a great KaTe album.

Bingo.  That's exactly what disappoints me about it.  Thanks.

On another tangent, re Kate's looks:  I have to disagree with my
beloved Tracy on this subject.  Sure, I think Kate is attractive,
but (apparently unlike most Love-Hounds) I have no posters or even
videos of her.  She appeals to me as a musican, not an icon.  So
I wouldn't really care much if Kate gained lots of weight or whatever,
as long as it didn't impede her musical work.

-- Stewart
--

"I've got too much energy to switch off my mind,
 but not enough to get myself