[rec.music.gaffa] Annotations

barger@ARISTOTLE.ILS.NWU.EDU (Jorn Barger) (02/23/90)

Thanks to all for the annotations-advice!

I spent an hour the other evening thumbing thru "In Search of the Miraculous"
to see if I could find the particular instance of Ouspensky having a feeling
"G" was on his way, and couldn't-- though there are some wonderfully strange
phenomena, especially a series of telepathic conversations between them.

James Smith (<9002182334.6094@munnari.oz.au>) says
> G refers to Dave Gilmour.  cf album cover
but I only see "Dave G" on Lionheart, not TKI.  And I thought I remembered
reading that Kate and Dave never really saw that much of each other...

Doug says <9002220344.aa15110@gaffa.mit.edu>
> Why would anyone think that "The Man With the Child in his Eyes" is
> about masturbation?
I don't remember where I picked this up, but in the context of Wow and Kashka
and Infant Kiss and Kick Inside, I think it's fair game to look for
masturbation references-- and they're certainly read-in-able here:
"oh I'm so worried about my love/ They say 'No no it won't last forever'"?

Forgive me if I'm vulgar, but in the interest of objectivity, ladies, does the
line "..when I turn the light off/ and turn over" fit the picture?

Certainly it's a fantasy-lover (at least in some lines), and the line
"a man I've never known before" doesn't fit very well with the father theory.

I always took the title-image to refer to men who still retain some innocence.

--jorn

"America is a country, not a condiment" Ken Tamer, last night

jebossom@cognos.UUCP (John E. Bossom) (02/27/90)

In article <9002231453.AA10096@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu> barger@ARISTOTLE.ILS.NWU.EDU (Jorn Barger) writes:

>Certainly it's a fantasy-lover (at least in some lines), and the line
>"a man I've never known before" doesn't fit very well with the father theory.
>
>I always took the title-image to refer to men who still retain some innocence.

The lyrics immediately reminded my of the original movie (1940's ?)
   "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir"
in which the ghost of a  sea-captain, whose home is now occupied by
widowed (?) Mrs. Muir and her son, appears to her, etc. etc., they
become fond of each other, he tells her "stories about the sea" -
eventually she dies, and joins him.

--
John E. Bossom           Cognos Incorporated     S-mail: P.O. Box 9707
Voice: (613) 738-1338 x6113               O_o            3755 Riverside Drive

mtarr@eagle.wesleyan.edu (02/27/90)

Oh, please!!!

Will you people PLEASE get off this masturbation kick?!?  I'm not sure, and
maybe KT hadn't gotten together with Del at the time she wrote TKI, but I don't
think she was THAT frustrated.

"When I turn the light off and turn over" is simple: how many of you out there
turn off your bedside lamp and lie on your back staring at the glow-in-the-dark
stars on your ceiling?  Not many.  I, for one, sleep on my side, which involves
turning over.  Assuming KT also sleeps on her side (only she and Del can
accurately answer that one), I think that adequately explains it.

While I'm sure a lot of the songs on TKI ("Moving" and "The Man With The Child
In His Eyes", for example) have to do with fantasizing, I think it stops there.
The latter especially strikes me as a fantasy, but in my view you need to read
a heluva lot of nonexistent stuff into it to see references to masturbation.

Sorry if this comes across as a flame, but pretty soon we'll be seeing
references to acid trips in "The Big Sky".  Let's nip this one in the bud,
now, shall we?

Meredith Tarr                "Living in the gap between past and future..."
mtarr@eagle.wesleyan.edu                           		-KT

MTARR@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU (02/27/90)

From: mtarr@eagle.wesleyan.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Annotations
Date: 26 Feb 90 20:57:57 GMT

nessus@MIT.EDU (Doug Alan) (02/28/90)

> Oh, please!!!

> Will you people PLEASE get off this masturbation kick?!?  I'm not
> sure, and maybe KT hadn't gotten together with Del at the time she
> wrote TKI, but I don't think she was THAT frustrated.

Hold on a minute.  I don't agree with this masturbation interpretation
of "The Man with the Child in his Eyes" either, but why would Kate
have to be "THAT frustrated" to masturbate or to write about it?  I
can guarantee you that many people who are not frustrated at all
masturbate, and it's a natural and healthy thing to do.  By the way,
Kate was only sixteen when "The Man with the Child in his Eyes" was
recorded, and she was as young as twelve when she wrote it.

|>oug

"I had often strummed my penis, like some siff-necked lyre, as I lay
 in bed at night; it comforted me as I sailed off to Dreamland; but
 that night, in my thirteenth year, when my penis erupted like some
 semen-belching Vesuvius, I was thrown into a state of terror.  I
 thought it was blood spurting forth in hot gobs; I thought I was
 dying (and, even as I ran, screaming for my mother, I wondered how
 dying could feel so indescribably good)!  Luckily, Mother was fast
 asleep (or perhaps strumming her own lyre?) -- and Reason soon came
 awake, patiently explaining all that happened."

nrc@cbema.att.COM (Neal R Caldwell, Ii) (02/28/90)

> > Will you people PLEASE get off this masturbation kick?!?  I'm not
> > sure, and maybe KT hadn't gotten together with Del at the time she
> > wrote TKI, but I don't think she was THAT frustrated.
>
> Hold on a minute.  I don't agree with this masturbation interpretation
> of "The Man with the Child in his Eyes" either, but why would Kate
> have to be "THAT frustrated" to masturbate or to write about it?  I
> can guarantee you that many people who are not frustrated at all
> masturbate, and it's a natural and healthy thing to do.  By the way,
> Kate was only sixteen when "The Man with the Child in his Eyes" was
> recorded, and she was as young as twelve when she wrote it.
>
> |>oug

Thanks for pointing that out, Doug.  I was going to but I couldn't
bring myself to type mas....mast...mmm...the "m" word. :-)

Actually if we want to speculate about sexuality in Kate's songs I've
always wondered about "Egypt".  Seems to me that the song makes just
as much sense if you think of "Egypt" as a woman's name as well as a
place.  The music and sounds of the song fit this idea as well.

If anything the whole idea is a little too unsubtle to be what Kate
had in mind.  Still, Kate doesn't seem the sort to write travelogues.

"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
                                          nrc@cbnews
                                          att!cbnews!nrc