[rec.music.gaffa] gaffa and reviews

mtarr@eagle.wesleyan.edu (02/22/90)

Hello...

I've been trying to post things for three weeks now, and every single one has
bounced.  However, I'm not one to quit easily, so here we go again:

First, "gaffa", as far as I can tell within the context of the song "Suspended
In Gaffa", means a state of confusion or unawareness of what is going on .  At
least, that's what _I_ mean when I say I must be suspended in gaffa!!!

Second, that latest review of TSW really bites.  Too often reviewers, be they
record or book reviewers, let their personal biases and basic stupidity get in
the way of objectiveness.  The least that woman could've done was spell
"Rocket's TAIL" right.  That's just plain ignorance, and it convinced me to
take the review with a grain of salt. I'd be willing to put money on the fact
that the reviewer has never heard any of KT's earlier work, or if she has, she
hasn't listened to it all that closely.  She certainly hasn't listened to TSW
very closely.

Third, does anyone out there know for certain if KT speaks German?  This may be
a hackneyed question, but I'm relatively new to the nets here.  I've noticed
the German lines in "Coffee Homeground" (Es schmeckt WUNderbar!) and "Hello
Earth" (which, as far as I've been able to decipher in the past two and a half
years, are "Tiefer, Tiefer, wurde es (?!?) in den Tiefer, gibt es Euch nicht."
Those lines translate, respectively, to "It tastes WONderful!" and, assuming
I've heard correctly, "The depths, the depths- it would be (?!?) in the depths,
it gives you nothing."

I'm pretty unsure of that last one, obviously: can anyone help me out with
this?  As a lowly German major, these things tend to interest me.  And speaking
of interesting things, as a Medieval Studies major I also noticed that in those
little MTV interview clips (you know, the ones with that stupid Aura stuff), KT
is wearing a little Druid sickle pendant necklace.  Anybody else notice that?

Here's hoping this posting actually gets posted...

Meredith Tarr
Wesleyan University
"Living in the gap between past and future..."

MTARR@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU (02/22/90)

From: mtarr@eagle.wesleyan.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: gaffa and reviews
Date: 21 Feb 90 18:09:27 GMT

dbk@.UUCP (David Kay) (02/26/90)

In article <7757@eagle.wesleyan.edu> mtarr@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:

   Third, does anyone out there know for certain if KT speaks German?  This may be
   a hackneyed question, but I'm relatively new to the nets here.  I've noticed
   the German lines in "Coffee Homeground" (Es schmeckt WUNderbar!) and "Hello
   Earth" (which, as far as I've been able to decipher in the past two and a half
   years, are "Tiefer, Tiefer, wurde es (?!?) in den Tiefer, gibt es Euch nicht."
   Those lines translate, respectively, to "It tastes WONderful!" and, assuming
   I've heard correctly, "The depths, the depths- it would be (?!?) in the depths,
   it gives you nothing."

I don't know if this has been definitively settled in the past, but it sure
sounds to me as though she's saying, "Tiefer, Tiefer...gibt es ein Licht?"
Or something like deeper, deeper, is there a light?"  "gibt es Euch nicht"
might mean "there's nothing for you."  Of course, my German is pretty bad.

While we're on the subject, have you heard "Ein Deutsches Album" by Peter
Gabriel?  It's a German translation of the album with "Games without
Frontiers" (sung by Kate).  It's superb, especially _Through the Wire_
(_Durch den Draht_?).  Unfortunately, the lyric sheet only has the English
version.  Some of the bits scan differently, and some are downright obscene.

	David Kay
	dbk@esl.com

CCJS@cc.nu.OZ.AU (James Smith) (02/26/90)

From: ccjs@cc.nu.oz (James Smith)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Date: 26 Feb 90 12:04:07 +1000

Meridith Tarr writes:

> I've been trying to post things for three weeks now, and every single one has
> bounced.  However, I'm not one to quit easily, so here we go again:

I've seen a number of your postings on the net, so they are getting to
Australia, at least.

> First, "gaffa", as far as I can tell within the context of the song "Suspended
> In Gaffa", means a state of confusion or unawareness of what is going on .  At
> least, that's what _I_ mean when I say I must be suspended in gaffa!!!

'Gaffa' is gaffer's tape, or more commonly, duct tape, as Kate has said in
some interview somewhere.  It also probably has several deeper meanings.
Gaffa is also a word that can get a new poster into serious trouble. :-)

> Third, does anyone out there know for certain if KT speaks German?

Kate appeared on a German TV show in 1979 (?) to sing Wuthering Heights (the
volcano version) and Kite (?).  At that time she could not speak any
German, save 'Ja. Ja.'  I don't think this question has been asked before.

'Tiefer.  Tiefer.  Irgendwo in der Tiefer.  Gibt es ein Licht?' means
'Deeper.  Deeper.  Somewhere in the depths.  Is there a light?' (I've
probably got this wrong, but am sure to be corrected.)

Jim

--
James Smith          | Lizzie Borden took an axe
Computing Centre     | And gave her mother forty whacks.

nessus@MIT.EDU (Doug Alan) (03/01/90)

> Third, does anyone out there know for certain if KT speaks German?

No, Kate doesn't speak German.  In fact, it's not Kate saying "Tiefer,
tiefer..." on "Hello Earth" -- it's someone else, whose name excapes
me at the moment.

|>oug

M is for MALONEY all full of hot air