[rec.music.gaffa] Rolling Stone reviews, Sinead, and Kate

mtarr@eagle.wesleyan.edu (03/01/90)

Hello again...

I just got the latest Rolling Stone, and in it they review Sinead O'Connor's
new one, _I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got_.  They give it four and a half
stars, which is between Excellent and Classic.  I can't wait to pick it up,
because RS usually isn't kind to music like that.  Maybe Sinead does want to
break into dance pop, which would be a shame, but I'm going to wait to hear the
album before I pass judgement.

Speaking of Rolling Stone reviews, why the HELL didn't they review TSW?!?  Do
they think they're above that sort of intelligentia, or something?  Or did it
just come out at a bad time, and all the albums that came out the week of the
1980's retrospective got ignored, too?  Actually, I'm not giving up my fading
hopes yet, because this latest issue contains a review for Galaxie 500's _On
Fire_, which came out last December.

And finally, although I've already e-mailed my reply to Ed, the two songs that
simultaneously turned me into a Lovehound were "Running Up That Hill" and the
version of "Wuthering Heights" on _The Whole Story_.  After three years that
song still puts me into near-convulsions, as any of my dorm-mates will tell
you whenever I crank it up and introduce all of Wesleyan to Kate's incredible
voice. The original version doesn't do the same thing for me, although I still
like it, and it's the reason I bought TKI in the first place.

Incidentally, anybody else been able to figure out what she's saying at the end
of L&A?  First one wins a prize!!!

Meredith Tarr               "Living in the gap between past and future..."
mtarr@eagle.wesleyan.edu                                         -KT

MTARR@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU (03/01/90)

From: mtarr@eagle.wesleyan.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Rolling Stone reviews, Sinead, and Kate
Date: 28 Feb 90 17:38:58 GMT

eboneste@BBN.COM (Liz Bonesteel) (03/02/90)

In article <9002282240.AA26871@EDDIE.MIT.EDU> MTARR@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU writes:

>Speaking of Rolling Stone reviews, why the HELL didn't they review TSW?!?

Speaking more of Rolling Stone, I heard a rumor they trashed HOL when
it came out.  Can anyone confirm this?

Liz (who is looking forward to Sinead's new album in spite of the fact
    that RS liked it)
----
Just watch them swing with the wind
    out to sea...

ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi) (03/02/90)

In article <52833@bbn.COM> Liz Bonesteel <eboneste@BBN.COM> writes:

>Speaking more of Rolling Stone, I heard a rumor they trashed HOL when
>it came out.  Can anyone confirm this?

When _HoL_ came out, _Rolling Stone_ wasn't giving stars in its
reviews.  (They had stopped for some reason a few months earlier,
and they just started again about a year ago.)  So it's hard
to tell what they really thought.  The review was kind of
non-committal.  I remember they thought it was sort of
childish, in some undefined way.

Ever since then, though, Kate has been used as an example of a great
alternative artist, when others are compared to her.  Does
this mean a change of heart on the part of _RS_?  We'll
never know for sure as long as they don't review _TSW_, but
everyone I've heard who is connected to _RS_ has nothing
but good things to say about the album.  (The mention in the
year-end issue, the article in the Feb. 8 issue, and Anthony
DeCurtis's words on "All Things Considered".)

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov

liberato@drivax.UUCP (Jimmy Liberato) (03/03/90)

eboneste@BBN.COM (Liz Bonesteel) writes:

>Speaking more of Rolling Stone, I heard a rumor they trashed HOL when
>it came out.  Can anyone confirm this?

Well the final line of a very short (400 line) mini-review was "...her
vision will seem silly the those who believe children should be seen
and not heard."  The sad part of it was the reviewer offered no original
insights and it was transparent that he gathered most of his information
from other reviews he had read.

--
Jimmy Liberato   ...!amdahl!drivax!liberato

In rec.music.gaffa eboneste@BBN.COM (Liz Bonesteel) writes:

>Speaking more of Rolling Stone, I heard a rumor they trashed HOL when
>it came out.  Can anyone confirm this?

Well the final line of a very short (400 line) mini-review was "...her
vision will seem silly to those who believe children should be seen

liberato@drivax.UUCP (Jimmy Liberato) (03/04/90)

>Well the final line of a very short (400 line) mini-review was "...
                                          ^^^^
Of course you must have meant 400 words, right?  :-)

--
Jimmy Liberato   ...!amdahl!drivax!liberato