[rec.music.gaffa] "The Kick Inside"/"Don't Push..." inquiries...

n8344141@UNICORN.WWU.EDU (paul carpentier) (03/10/90)

While drinking Renton, Washington Coffee, a former KateHouse visitor
asked me if the song "The Kick Inside" was a suicide note, probably
from the perspective of the female who was incestuously impregnated.

He also asked if "Don't Push Your Foot on the Heartbrake", or any part
of it, was about Emma slashing her wrists.

I couldn't answer the questions.  I'll admit, I fall short in lyrics
and interpretation ("It's the sound of her VOICE!"), and was unable
to answer, and he can't get to the net anymore, so if anyone can
help with this, I'll pass on the info to Gary-Q.

Love and Anger,
Paul M Carpentier

nessus@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Doug Alan) (03/10/90)

--------
> From: n8344141@unicorn.wwu.edu (paul carpentier)

> While drinking Renton, Washington Coffee, a former KateHouse visitor
> asked me if the song "The Kick Inside" was a suicide note, probably
> from the perspective of the female who was incestuously impregnated.

It is indeed.  In fact it is based on a traditional folk song with the
same story line.

> He also asked if "Don't Push Your Foot on the Heartbrake", or any part
> of it, was about Emma slashing her wrists.

Gee, your friend is obsessed with suicide, eh?  Who can tell what the
"red, red glass is bleeding" refers to?  I don't think the
wrist-slashing interpretation makes sense, though.  "But she's so
O.D.'d on weeping/ She can hardly see,/ That she's dropping beads,/
(Red, red glass is bleeding)" If she slashed her wrists, how could she
not know that she was bleeding?  It seems to me more likely that the
bleeding is a metaphor for her losing her life energy.

|>oug

"S is for SUSAN who perished of fits"