[rec.music.gaffa] Bobs

mendel@CS.UIUC.EDU (Michael Mendelson) (03/22/90)

Has anyone out there ever heard of the Bobs?  They are a brilliant
avant-garde a capella group.  I recently found a cd of theirs called
My, I'm Large.  Apparently there is also one called New Wave Music.
But their first album, The Bobs, doesn't seem to be out on CD.  Or is it?

If you are at all into interesting a capella work and very witty
lyrics, you should check these guys out.  A friend of mine saw
them live in Chicago last month, so apparently they are touring.
I'm sure they'd be amazing live.  They remind me of The Manhattan
Transfer, except they are less jazzy and more, shall we say, weird
(for lack of a better word).  Does anyone know of other interesting
a capella groups?
					       			.
							 /\/\  / /\/\
							/ / /_/ / / /

				           "Hurricane Bob is petering out
				               and Charlotte's on the way
				 She puts mascara on the eye of the storm"

kanarick@BBN.COM (Craig M. Kanarick") (03/22/90)

In article <9003211859.AA19397@m.cs.uiuc.edu> mendel@CS.UIUC.EDU (Michael Mendelson) writes:
>Has anyone out there ever heard of the Bobs?  They are a brilliant
>avant-garde a capella group.  I recently found a cd of theirs called
>My, I'm Large.  Apparently there is also one called New Wave Music.
>But their first album, The Bobs, doesn't seem to be out on CD.  Or is it?

(Liz, am I beating you to the punch?)

Actaully, Michael, the first album is called "The Bobs". There is a
fake sticker on the cover that says "Nu Wave Music", but I don't think
that is the title.  The album is out on CD, and includes a cover of
"Whip It", if I remember correctly.  If you thing "My, I'm Large" is
good, you *love* their first one (much stronger, I think).

I agree with you, they *are* fantastic, check them out live, you'll
have a blast.

-- Craig

Craig M. Kanarick				"Do I love you?  Yes, I
kanarick@bbn.com				 love you.  All this talking,
		             			 talking, is only bravado..."
BBN Systems and Technologies Corporation	 - The Blue Nile

donley@MILTON.U.WASHINGTON.EDU (E. Donley Olson) (03/22/90)

In article <9003211859.AA19397@m.cs.uiuc.edu> mendel@CS.UIUC.EDU (Michael Mendelson) writes:
>Has anyone out there ever heard of the Bobs?  They are a brilliant
>avant-garde a capella group.  I recently found a cd of theirs called
>My, I'm Large.  Apparently there is also one called New Wave Music.
>But their first album, The Bobs, doesn't seem to be out on CD.  Or is it?

Yes!  The bobs are one of my favorites too!  Here's an almost-complete
discography of their work:

Out of the Mouths of Bobs -- limited edition ep/single that's impossible to get
The Bobs (1982) -- first album, available on CD (which includes a couple of
  bonus tracks, like their remake of "Psycho Killer")
My I'm Large (1987)
Songs For Tomorrow Morning (1988)

They may have a new album out... I called their concert information line
( 415-THE-POOP ) in February and they said they were in the studio recording
a new album... So, who knows.

This is good stuff.  Their lyrics are very inventive and much less wimpy than
the Nylons or other a-capella groups that get classified as "do-wop" or what-
ever.  Also, if you like this, you might try to find something by the ex-group
Uncle Bonsai (thanks, eek!), who also have very witty lyrics and arrangements,
though they do use a guitar (gasp, shudder).

  - Eo
(donley@milton.acs.washington.edu   eo@max.acs.washington.edu)

ws1i+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (William Manchester Shubert) (03/22/90)

   Just out of curiosity, are the Bobs affiliated with the Church of the
SubGenius?  I know that most "doktormusic" from SubGenius bands isn't too
musical, but then I haven't heard the Bobs.
                                -Bill (wms@sam.cs.cmu.edu)

jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) (03/22/90)

In article <9003211859.AA19397@m.cs.uiuc.edu> mendel@CS.UIUC.EDU (Michael Mendelson) writes:
>But their first album, The Bobs, doesn't seem to be out on CD.  Or is it?

It is.  "K-18, The Bobs Compact Disc, $14.98," says the blurb from
Kaleidoscope Records, Post Office Box O, El Cerrito CA 94530.

For that matter, they sell a Kate Wolf songbook.  [Uh, Emily...these people
are interested in Kate *Bush*.]  Never mind.

[Enter pedant mode]
Single vs. double consonants are significant in Italian.  "A cappella" means
"chapel style;" "a capella" means "little goat style."  The Bobs sing much
better than that, I think... :-)
[Exit pedant mode]

	James Jones

bvk%hhb@PRINCETON.EDU (Brett Kuehner) (03/23/90)

donley@MILTON.U.WASHINGTON.EDU (E. Donley Olson) writes:

>In article <9003211859.AA19397@m.cs.uiuc.edu> mendel@CS.UIUC.EDU (Michael Mendelson) writes:
>>Has anyone out there ever heard of the Bobs?  They are a brilliant
>>avant-garde a capella group.  I recently found a cd of theirs called
>>My, I'm Large.  Apparently there is also one called New Wave Music.
>>But their first album, The Bobs, doesn't seem to be out on CD.  Or is it?

>Yes!  The bobs are one of my favorites too!  Here's an almost-complete
>discography of their work:

>Out of the Mouths of Bobs --limited edition ep/single that's impossible to get
>The Bobs (1982) -- first album, available on CD (which includes a couple of
>  bonus tracks, like their remake of "Psycho Killer")
>My I'm Large (1987)
>Songs For Tomorrow Morning (1988)

>They may have a new album out... I called their concert information line
>( 415-THE-POOP ) in February and they said they were in the studio recording
>a new album... So, who knows.

At a concert in November, they claimed that an album of covers
(including "Ring of Fire") was released in Italy. I think they said it
was called (through no fault of their own) "The Bobs Sing". But I've
been unable to confirm that it exists, much less acquire a copy.

They've appeared on The Tonight Show at least once (singing "Johnny's
Room") and have a PBS special (The Lonesome Pines special?) with Iso,
a dance troupe they tour with sometimes. I haven't seen the PBS
special, though.

If you ever get a chance to see a Bobs concert, go! Probably your only
chance to hear "Purple Haze" or "Ina Gadda Da Vida" as a capella.

Another interesting a capella group is "The Flying Pickets", who have
several albums (not available on CD, as far as I know), including
"Lost Boys" and "Live at the Albany Empire". The Pickets are
Australian(?), and split between original (as far as I know) songs and
covers, including "Summertime", "Remember This", and "Get Off of My
Cloud". Worth trying to locate. Oops, they also did "Psycho Killer".

		Brett
--
Brett Kuehner, Racal-Redac, Mahwah, NJ
...!princeton!hhb!bvk