[rec.music.gaffa] Kate and Paganism

MTARR@WESLEYAN.BITNET (04/08/90)

Greetings...

Reading Larne from Yale's account of how he became a Love-Hound reminded
me of something I've been meaning to bring up for a while now: the amount
of pagan imagery present in the video for "The Sensual World".

I don't know what was discussed about Kate on the paganism mailing list (anybody
like to enlighten me?), but the general consensus among my friends and family
who have seen the TSW video is, My God, That's SO Pagan!!!  My sister proclaimed
the part where KT is dancing backwards through the trees and the full moon
as positively Wiccan, although I don't know enough of Wiccan stuff to be able
to agree or disagree.  It's certainly Celtic- trees, moon, fire, a hauntingly
beautiful woman dancing very strangely through it all.  It seems Druid to
me, but again, I'm not one to judge.

I think the only time I've seen Kate wear an item of jewelry was on one of
the MTV mini-interviews, in which she was wearing a Druid sickle pendant
around her neck.  I know she's said she doesn't have any real religious beliefs,
but with her Irish heritage and her interest in traditional Celtic stuff,
it didn't appear strange to me.

Does anybody have an opinion on this?  Has anybody else noticed this, what
do you think, have you heard KT mention anything about it in an interview,
whatever.  I'll welcome e-mail on the subject, but if you're going through
UUCP please post, because I won't be able to e-mail you an answer.  I'm really
intrigued by all this, and would like some outside input.

Meredith Tarr                   "Looking for a moment that'll never happen
mtarr@eagle.wesleyan.edu         Living in the gap between past and future"
Wesleyan University                                             -KT

woiccare@CLUTX.CLARKSON.EDU (the evil one) (04/08/90)

meredith says:
> Reading Larne from Yale's account of how he became a Love-Hound reminded
> me of something I've been meaning to bring up for a while now: the amount
> of pagan imagery present in the video for "The Sensual World".

> I don't know what was discussed about Kate on the paganism mailing list (anybody
> like to enlighten me?), but the general consensus among my friends and family
> who have seen the TSW video is, My God, That's SO Pagan!!!  My sister proclaimed
> the part where KT is dancing backwards through the trees and the full moon
> as positively Wiccan, although I don't know enough of Wiccan stuff to be able
> to agree or disagree.  It's certainly Celtic- trees, moon, fire, a hauntingly
> beautiful woman dancing very strangely through it all.  It seems Druid to
> me, but again, I'm not one to judge.

hmmm...i'm not an expert on things celtic, but i would hazard a guess
that the intentions of KaTe were just that.  KaTe admits the celtic
influence on this song, she admits the joycean influence (an irish,
if disgruntled irish, writer) and she states quite openly that the song
is about the sensuality of the world. the celts were very sensual
people - you can see it in their art, their myths and their culture -
so i, for one, am not at all surprised about the direction the video
took (under KaTe's direction mind you).

i'm not that sure that this is KaTe's way of saying "hey, i'm a
wiccan!" though. i see it more as a celtic influence on KaTe rather than
a religious /pagan influence.

> I think the only time I've seen Kate wear an item of jewelry was on one of
> the MTV mini-interviews, in which she was wearing a Druid sickle pendant
> around her neck.  I know she's said she doesn't have any real religious beliefs,
> but with her Irish heritage and her interest in traditional Celtic stuff,
> it didn't appear strange to me.

again, i have doubts - she probably just thought it was a pretty piece
or something ;)

woj

slh@ut-emx.UUCP (Susan L. Cecelia Harwood) (04/10/90)

Kate and paganism.  I feel like I just had this discussion...  Oh,
that's right.  I did.  On the paganism mailing list I'm on.  That's
it.  :-)

Well, we *were* discussing Our Lady of Kent a while back.  The things
we talked about were her music, and how appropriate it is to rituals.
We also were hazarding guesses to her beliefs, but decided that that
didn't really matter.

Neo-paganism, as it goes now, very often draws upon old traditions,
and Wiccans (specific brand thereof; please no one send me mail about
Ceremonial Magic) often use things out of their own heritages.  I,
being of Anglo-Celtic descent as seen on my census form, usually draw
from my Celtic heritage.  Thus, I usually use Celtic imagery and
Celtic deities.  Kate's music, by virtue of being based on her Celtic
heritage, something Druidic (and Celtic Wicca and Druidism are closer
than one might think), or just something Paddy brought to her that she
liked, speak very strongly to me in those circumstances.

Some of her music startles me in how right on she is, like "Strange
Phenomena," parts of _The Dreaming_, the entire _The Ninth Wave_, and
parts of _The Sensual World_ (and I do agree on that stuff about the
video; all that stuff she said about the elemental changes, and the
vision of her dancing through the wood on a full moon).  And other
songs are striking for different reasons entirely, like "Running Up
That Hill" or "The Infant Kiss."

I don't know whether Kate Bush is a pagan or not, and it really
doesn't matter to me one way or the other.  But several of her songs
definitely speak to that side of me, and obviously to many other
pagans.  Just goes to show how good a songwriter she really is, I
s'pose.

As for the Druid sickle, I haven't the slightest.  But I have a hunch
that, if Kate is as private about that as she is about most else, then
we may never know...
--

--------Susan L. Cecelia Harwood-----------------------------------------------
 The whims that we're weeping for our parents would be beaten for. --Kate Bush

pekowsky-larne@YALE.EDU (larne pekowsky) (04/10/90)

In article <9004072109.AA03942@gaffa.MIT.EDU> MTARR@WESLEYAN.BITNET writes:
>Greetings...
>
>Reading Larne from Yale's account of how he became a Love-Hound reminded
>me of something I've been meaning to bring up for a while now: the amount
>of pagan imagery present in the video for "The Sensual World".
>
>I don't know what was discussed about Kate on the paganism mailing list
>(anybody like to enlighten me?)...

I'd be glad to.  Basically, your message and woiccare@CLUTX.CLARKSON.EDU (the
evil one)'s reply summerized the important parts.  Someone mentioned the
pagan-like imagery in some of Kate's songs and videos, and asked if she was
Wiccan/Pagan.  Someone else replied that she has stated she isn't affiliated
with any particular religion.  The discussion then continued a bit on the
imagery and symbolism itself (now that I've heard HOL, some of this seemed to
me to be people seeing references where none really exist, but to each their
own interpretation).  Then came the requests for recommendations for a first
album (several for HOL, one for _The Whole Story_).  This was shortly followed
by the required "I went through my Kate phase, but got tired of screechy
vocals" and "please move this to love-hounds" and the resulting backlash
(though I must say, to everyone's credit, this never degenerated to flame level
- just one polite message each way).  Finally, there was a bit of talk about
the use of music (Kate's and others') in ritual and meditation.

I don't think there's any evidence that Kate is a Wiccan/Druid/Pagan
whathaveyou (although I wonder if she would say so if she were), but she does
seem to get some of her inspiration from the same places a lot of the
neo-pagan religions get theirs.

						- Larne
pekowsky@yale.arpa