[rec.music.gaffa] KT NEWS

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/02/89)

Really-From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu

     The single, _The_Sensual_World_: UK release date September 18.
IED's information is not certain on this next point, but it seems that
it's just _possible_ that the title of the _album_ (though not the
single) may really be _The_Sensual_World_in_October_. This still seems
very hard to believe, and as IED says, his information is vague in this
particular, but for the record, it is possible.
     Kate "really likes" the new album, is very pleased with it, and
--this may be of some comfort to the more hardcore fans--she says that
she's "not at all sure it will be popular in America," but that she did
not let herself worry about that in making this album.
     Furthermore, she believes that there will be a _different_ first
single choice for the CBS (U.S.) release than the one chosen for the
rest of the world (_The_Sensual_World_). IED gathers that Kate still
has little say in what happens to her product in the U.S., or else that
she is willing to bow to the advice of the U.S. companies on such points.
Basically, IED understands that although she would of course be happy
to find that the new album is successful in the U.S., she is _not_
particularly interested one way or the other.
     Also, Kate has, as of September 1, only shot _one_ video, the
one which is to accompany the single _The_Sensual_World_. Ergo, since
the chances are that CBS will release a different song as the first
single in the U.S., there is still no video to accompany that other
song. Kate did not seem to be in any great hurry to get such a second
video done for the U.S. market, either.
     As for touring--she has no plans to do a tour at this time, but
she has not ruled out the possibility of planning a tour in a year or
so, if the album should prove successful in the U.S. Any plans for a
tour at this point would be contingent upon the album already showing
signs of huge popularity, because CBS would otherwise not be likely to
want to pay for the kind of production she would require. At any rate,
she has not yet closed her mind to the idea of touring sometime within
the next year or eighteen months.
     Finally, the record company has been slating her for a lot of
interviews, possibly including _Rolling_Stone_.
     That is all that IED knows at this time. And if you're wondering
how he came to learn all this--don't ask.

-- Andrew Marvick

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/06/89)

Really-From: "Mike Jones" <mcvax!hslrswi!mjones@uunet.UU.NET>

Does anyone know the release date of Kates new albim in Switzerland,
cos I can't wait and is the lovely Kate married?

Mike Jones,
80A3,Ascom Hasler AG, Belpstrasse 23, CH-3000 Bern 14, Switzerland.

Phone:      Office: +41 31 632057,
Telex:      911119 hagf ch
Fax:        +41 31 632894
Bitnet:     mjones%hslrswi.UUCP@cernvax.BITNET
Uucp:       ... {uunet,ukc,mcvax ... }!cernvax!hslrswi!mjones

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/07/89)

Really-From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu

 To: Love-Hounds
 From: Andrew Marvick (IED)
 Subject: KT NEWS

     The October 7 issue of _New_Musical_Express_ contains a
new interview with Kate Bush! It's a reasonably detailed interview,
and Kate as usual deflects a large number of questions, replying
with some candour (for her) but with more enigmatic, non-specific
information. At the end of the regular interview section she is
asked to give "explanations" of each of the eleven songs on the
new CD, and she does. In the interview proper she discusses the
Joyce issue in detail (regarding _The_Sensual_World_ lyrics), and
changes (developments) in her attitude toward life. It is a fascinating
interview, and the writer, Len Brown (who also covered Kate's
work with Trio Bulgarka in _NME_ last year), is very respectful
and appreciative of his subject, interjecting a minimum of silly
journalistic non sequiturs during the article. Kate's face appears,
in an extreme close-up in colour, on the cover, and inside there
are one new colour shot and three new black-and-white photos, all
by Kevin Cummins. All in all this is as good an interview as has
ever appeared in one of the three major oversize British music weeklies,
and for this IED is grateful.
     IED will begin transcribing the rather long piece immediately,
and it will appear as soon as possible in Love-Hounds, so keep eyes
peeled.

-- Andrew Marvick
   P.S.: IED has also discovered a _second_ new poster. Like the
first one IED just described (and which is available through Dirt
Cheap, in Kansas City), the new one is 40 x 60 inches, and features
the exact same photograph (the cover of the UK 12"). But unlike
the first one, this version also has writing: down the right side
are the words "KATE BUSH    THE SENSUAL WORLD" and along the bottom
"Her new single". The lettering is similar to that used for the
single itself, but is printed in orange rather than gold ink. Aside
from the writing, there is no difference between the two posters.

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/12/89)

Really-From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu

 To: Love-Hounds
 From: Andrew Marvick (IED)

     The following notice from the KATE BUSH CLUB arrived in IED's
mailbox today:

     Kate Bush Club
     P.O. Box 120
     Welling, Kent DA16 3DS
     England

     As many of you will already know, Kate's new album "The Sensual
World" will be released on 16th October. We thought you might like to
know in advance about some of the interviews which will be appearing
over the next month or so. As far as Kate knows, she will not be doing
any P.A.s <Personal appearances>.

 Q MAGAZINE....................November issue (out 10th October)
 THE GUARDIAN..................Arts page (12th October)
 MELODY MAKER..................Issue of the week ending 14th October *
 N.M.E.........................Issue of the week ending 14th October **
 YOU MAGAZINE..................15th October
 TRACKS (Free at Woolworths)...November issue (out 26th October)
 R.A.W.........................Issue 31 (out 1st November)
 INTERNATIONAL MUSICIAN........December issue (out 2nd November)--6-pg. intvw.

     There will be articles in various overseas publications but
we could not get definite information in time so keep your ears and
eyes open.
     The Club magazine will be with you soon after the album is released.

     That is all the note said.

     *--IED believes there was nothing (aside from an album-release
announcement) in the issue of _MM_ for the week _ending_ October 14th.
Perhaps _MM_ means to have an interview in the October 14th issue.

    **--The _NME_ interview for the week ending October 14th (i.e.,
the October 7th issue, IED assumes) did indeed contain a long interview
with Kate, and IED has already transcribed and posted it for the
delectation of Love-Hounds worldwide.

     With luck Neil Calton and the other admirable U.K.-based Love-Hounds
are reading this posting, and perhaps one or more of them will make an
effort to acquire some of the interviews listed above--in particular
those which will probably never be imported to the U.S. American fans
can probably get hold of the _Q_Magazine_ interview, the one in
_The_Guardian_ and the one in _International_Musician_. But things
like the Woolworths throwaway paper _Tracks_, the publication with
the (to IED) mysterious name _R.A.W._, and _You_Magazine_ will almost
certainly never wash up onto U.S. shores, so IED implores the English
philocanines to take pity on us benighted Yanks and obtain/transcribe/
post these rare British treasures as soon as they become available.

     REMEMBER, WEST COAST LOVE-HOUNDS WILL BE HAVING A PARTY TO
CELEBRATE THE NEW ALBUM ON SUNDAY, OCTOBER 22ND, AT LARRY HERNANDEZ'S
PLACE IN SAN JOSE. DETAILS WILL FOLLOW SOON (IED HOPES), BUT ALL
INTERESTED PERSONS ARE ENCOURAGED TO ATTEND!! Much fun was had at
Tracy's party on Katemas (last July 30), and with a new album and
video guaranteed for the 22nd festivities, even more fun can be
expected this time.

-- Andrew Marvick
   Sue, of San Diego--Call Vickie please!

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/13/89)

Really-From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu

 To: Love-Hounds
 From: Andrew Marvick (IED)

     Kate has a blurb in the new issue (November 2?) of
_Rolling_Stone_. IED forgot to bring it to the computer, but
it is very short. In brief, Kate says she hopes the new album
will be of comfort to people who need it; that the songs are
all "little short stories"; that she hasn't toured in ten
years and that she has no great desire to, adding that all one
is doing in a tour is "reproducing old songs"; and that she
is not bothered in the least that she has never been very
popular in the U.S., because she doesn't see making albums
as a means of "sweeping the market".
     There is a small _colour_ photograph of Kate by John Carder
Bush next to the mini-article/interview, taken from the same
session used for the _TSW_ single: Kate is seen looking up and off
to the right of the camera, with her hand out in front of
her and sand (or dust, or ashes?) running through her fingers. It
is a slightly different shot, but very similar to the black-and-white
shot used for the single cover.

-- Andrew Marvick
   P.S.: The misspelling of "voracious" which appeared in IED's
transcription of the _NME_ interview was the result of an error
by IED's typesetter.

IED0DXM@OAC.UCLA.EDU (11/30/89)

 To: Love-Hounds
 From: Andrew Marvick (IED)

KT NEWS:
^^^^^^^^
     The CBS _Love_and_Anger_ single is _out_!
     Let IED qualify that immediately: he has only found the
new CBS _cassette_ single. There may not even _be_ a 12" or 7"
version. IED says this because the b-side, which is _Walk_Straight_
_Down_the_Middle_, has an asterisk note below it which says, "This
track available on cassette and CD only." If they intended to put
it on the back of a vinyl 7" or 12", they would probably have
altered the wording of this clause to say, "Not available on LP",
or something, no? But all will soon be known. At least the single is
_finally_ out!
     It's a normal-looking cassingle, with the shirtboard wrap-around
cover housing a grey cassette, the whole wrapped in celophane--makes
a great housegift! ($1.99 at Tower.) The cover is in black-and-white
(or silverish-grey), and features a shot from the _Newsletter_ (another
shot from the same session that the cover of the _This_Woman's_Work_
UK single comes from--this one not showing Kate's hands). It's a pretty
classy little cassette-single, and IED must admit to being pleased,
though the release scarcely makes much difference marketwise, since CBS
waited so damn long to get the single on the shelves. Still...

-- Andrew Marvick

IED0DXM@OAC.UCLA.EDU (12/02/89)

 To: Love-Hounds
 From: Andrew Marvick (IED)

     Kate Bush will appear on UK's _The_Wogan_Show_ _this_week_,
probably to perform _This_Woman's_Work_. All UK Love-Hounds are
_commanded_ to watch and (if possible) record!
     Also, a camera crew was at East Wickham Farm "recently" to
make a new video-interview with Kate. No details were forthcoming,
but this could very well have been the VH-1 crew.
     Aside from this, Kate has not been doing anything like the
degree of TV promotional work that she did for _Running_Up_That_Hill_
and _Hounds_of_Love_ in 1985-86. Instead, she seems to have been
keeping pretty much to herself, except for the occasional interview,
and the new _Wogan_ appearance.
     That is all that IED knows as of now. This information comes
directly from someone who is truly in a position to know, and it is
quite literally five minutes old. IED is not, however, at liberty to
divulge the identity of his Deep Throat.

-- Andrew Marvick

IED0DXM@OAC.UCLA.EDU (12/12/89)

 To: Love-Hounds
 From: Andrew Marvick (IED)

KT NEWS:

     Kate Bush will be in New York City this week. Definitely
on December 14th, and possibly she is already in town as we
speak.
     Thanks to Vishal for his help here.

-- Andrew Marvick

gregw@bcrka86.UUCP (Greg Ward) (02/27/90)

I heard today that Kate will sing on the next album by the Mission!
Not a group that I would have expected her to lend her singing
talents to, but then Big Country was a surprise as well.
Greg Ward, Bell-Northern Research
gregw@bnr.ca
"I am using you --- am I amusing you?" - M + M
--

IED0DXM@OAC.UCLA.EDU (04/11/90)

 To: Love-Hounds
 From: Andrew Marvick (IED)
 Subject: KT NEWS (but not front-page stuff)

   IED picked up a new interview picture-disk (12") today at Bleecker
Bob's. It has an old (ca. 1978) photo of Kate outdoors on both sides
(same photo both sides), and the edges of the photo have been cut
in a jagged circle-shape, like a sun, with a white background behind
the cut-out photo. The interview material is, however, the by-now
_extremely_ familiar pair of interviews which appeared last year
in about five different configurations. This is the one that
begins with a Cockney man's voice saying, "Many congratulations
on the success of your new album, Kate," and with Kate's first reply
beginning, "Well, yes and no..." That (20-minute) interview concludes on
the b-side, to be followed by the even lamer "pseudo-interview" (about
eight minutes) that begins with the "punched-in" question, "Where do
you get the imagery for your videos?"  So this new picture-disk is
a worthwhile purchase _only_ if one _must_ have _every_ new KT item
that shows up on the market.
   Also, IED came across CBS's new compilation anthology _Theodore_
today. The "exclusive" new Kate Bush track (track one of the CD) is
_Be_Kind_to_My_Mistakes_. Unfortunately, IED was unable to determine
from the cover whether this is the original soundtrack mix or (far
more likely, since this is a CBS release) the new, shorter, re-mixed
version. If anyone plans to buy this collection soon, please oh please
could he/she let Love-Hounds know asap which mix of this track it
contains? Thankyou.

-- Andrew Marvick

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (06/07/90)

Really-From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu

 To: Love-Hounds
 From: Andrew Marvick (IED)

   IED was happy to see that his uncharacteristic (and
uncharacteristically brief) posting of yesterday did not
go unnoticed. The posting from Vickie:

 >>Really-From: IED0DXM%OAC.UCLA.EDU@mitvma.mit.edu
 >>To: Love-Hounds
 >>From: Andrew Marvick (IED)
 >>Subject: SPECIAL MESSAGE
 >>
 >>    EVERYBODY TAKE SOME ORGANIC ACID.
 >
 > I'd be happy to, where do I get some :-)
 > What the hell are you talking about?
 >
 >-- Vickie (one of Vickie'n'Chris)
 >   katefans@world.std.com

   Well IED will tell you, Vickie (and everyone else): IED
has a NEW KATE BUSH SONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

   IED has obtained at long last the fourth and fifth EPs in
the long-delayed final part of the _Cathy_EP_ series of bootleg
EPs. The fourth EP contains five of the seven demos which
had yet to appear in EP form, and the remaining two appear on
side A of the _fifth_ EP. (Both are in the same very nice-looking
format as the first three EPs: color vinyl (orange and dark blue
respec.), black labels with white italicized script, white cardpaper
sleeves over paper inner sleeves, stills from JCB's _Cathy_ book,
and by far the best sound quality available for the demo tapes
themselves.
   The _b_ side of the fifth and final (?) EP, however, contains
a hitherto _unknown_ demo recording (clearly from the same original
sessions as the other twenty-two tracks which have been known to
fans for a year or more now), which the bootleggers have (not
unreasonably) given the title _Organic_Acid_.
   This recording is _EXTREMELY_BIZARRE_. It consists of
a duet, of sorts, featuring Kate on sung vocals and piano, singing
an unfamiliar new (old) song, and her brother John Carder Bush
reciting (in between Kate's verses/choruses, and to the accompaniment
of her piano bridges) a lengthy and artily pornographic poem
in his own characteristic style (characteristic to those who
are at all familiar with JCB's poetry). The song, at least on
early listenings, doesn't seem to have too much (or anything) to
do with JCB's poem, but perhaps IED is wrong about this. The whole
track is 5:45, the longest of all the demos by far, but this is
because of the length of JCB's poem, not the song itself, which is
actually as brief as any of Kate's early songs.
   IED will work up a tentative transcription of the lyrics/poem
asap, and post it in Love-Hounds for the edification of all.

-- Andrew Marvick