[rec.music.gaffa] Vickie's playlist

katefans@world.std.COM (Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City) (02/05/90)

Vickie here.

** Second week at #3 on MTV's 120 Minutes Top 10 College Countdown **

I can't take credit for this show. I was off working the bingo game (it's
the only thing that keeps KKFI on the air and all the programmers have to
work the game at least once every eight weeks) so my good friend Sue took
over for me. She's got great taste in music and a wonderful record collection. It was my 100th show and I didn't get to celebrate it :-(
but my two-year anniversary is coming up.

                     Suspended In Gaffa 100
                      Playlist for 2-3-90

  *Artist*               *Album*             *Song*

Suns of Arqa             Seven               La Pucelle d'Orleans
 "   "   "                 "                 Kalilotalove
 "   "   "                 "                 Les Anciens Mystiques
 "   "   "                 "                 Sisters of Wryd
New Age Steppers         New Age Steppers    Fade Away
 "   "   "                "   "    "         Animal Space
 "   "   "                "   "    "         Love Forever
 "   "   "                "   "    "         Private Armies
Maria McKee               Maria McKee        Nobody's Child
 "     "                   "      "          Panic Beach
bit from "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" soundtrack-Snap!
Poison Girls              Songs of Praise    Riot In My Mind
Annabelle Lamb            The Flame          Things That I Fear
Rickie Lee Jones          Flying Cowboys     Ghost Train
Grace Jones               Private Life 12"   She's Lost Control
Brilliant                 Love Is War 12"    Ruby Fruit Jungle
Opal                      Early Recordings   Empty Bottles
Tanita Tikaram            The Sweet Keeper   Once & Not Speak
  "      "                 "    "     "      Little Sister Leaving Town
Suns of Arqa              Arqaology Wadada   Steppin' To The Music
 "   "   "                Seven              Paradisum In Dub
 "   "   "                Arqaology Wadada   Give Love
Coldcut                   What's That Noise? Not Paid Enough
Nina Hagen                My Way 12"         My Way (extended mix)
Rosel Zech                Veronika Voss      Memories Are Made Of This
                               soundtrack

-----------------------------
Does anyone know anything about Suns of Arqa?

See you next week!

Vickie
katefans@world.std.com

CCJS@cc.nu.OZ.AU (James Smith) (02/22/90)

From: ccjs@cc.nu.oz (James Smith)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Vickie's playlist
Date: 22 Feb 90 10:37:27 +1000

Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City write:

>                           Suspended In Gaffa 102
>                            Black History Month
>                                   Pt. 1

> Big Pig               Bonk                          Breakaway

Big pig are not black.  Sorry about the pedantry.

Jim

--
James Smith          | Lizzie Borden took an axe
Computing Centre     | And gave her mother forty whacks.

ccjs@cc.nu.oz (James Smith) (02/22/90)

Chris'n'Vickie of Kansas City write:

>                           Suspended In Gaffa 102
>                            Black History Month
>                                   Pt. 1

> Big Pig               Bonk                          Breakaway

Big pig are not black.  Sorry about the pedantry.

Jim

--
James Smith          | Lizzie Borden took an axe
Computing Centre     | And gave her mother forty whacks.
Newcastle University | When she saw what she had done,
ccjs@cc.nu.oz.au     | She gave her father forty one.

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (07/09/90)

Really-From: katefans@world.std.com (Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago)

Vickie here. Well, to make a long story short, we were still in town (we
didn't leave Kansas City until Monday the 25th), Sue (who'll be taking
over for me until we get my in-home "studio" up and running) got sick with
the flu and knew we hadn't left yet so she called me to fill in for her.
To wit-I got to do an unexpected live show. I typed this in a rush before
we left but never got a chance to post it. Belatedly, here it is:

                        Suspended In Gaffa 119
                         Playlist for 6-23-90

    * Artist *                             * Song *

1.  Black Tape For A Blue Girl             Through Sky Blue Rooms
2.    "     "   "  "   "   "               You Tangle Within Me
3.    "     "   "  "   "   "               Ashes In The Brittle Air
4.  The Cocteau Twins                      Ivo
5.   "     "      "                        Pearly-Dewdrops Drops
6.   "     "      "                        Sigh's Smell Of Farewell

7.  Christine Lavin                        Ballad Of A Ballgame
8.  Helen & The Horns                      Surrey With The Fringe On The Top
9.  Wm Orbit/Peka Nikolich                 Love My Way
10. Annette Peacock                        Don't Be Cruel
11. Kirsty MacColl                         Days
12. Michelle Shocked                       Streetcorner Ambassador
13. Nena                                   99 Luftballoons
14. Penelope Houston                       Summers Of War
15. Nena                                   99 Red Balloons
16. Siouxsie & The Banshees                Are You Still Dying Darling?
17.    "     "  "     "                    The Killing Jar (Lepidopteristic)
18. Humpe-Humpe                            Yama-Ha
19. Kate Bush                              Dreamtime
20. The Shakers                            Living In The Shadow Of The Spirit
21.  "     "                               Queen Of The Haunted Dell
22.  "     "                               The Healing Hymn
23.  "     "                               Hymn To Kate

                  ------------------------
                      Album list

1.  Ashes In The Brittle Air                   13. 99 Luftballoons
2.    "   "   "     "     "                    14. Birdboys
3.    "   "   "     "     "                    15. 99 Luftballoons
4.  Treasure                                   16. The Killing Jar 12" (CD)
5.  The Pink Opaque                            17.  "    "      "   "    "
6.  The Cocteau Twins EP                       18. Humpe-Humpe
7.  Beau Woes & Other Problems Of Modern Life  19. Suspended In Gaffa 7"
8.  Surrey With The Fringe On The Top 12"      20-23 Living In The Shadow
9.  Actually, I Forgot                                    Of The Spirit EP
10. X-Dreams                                      (this was especially for
11. Kite                                           Jhoneric Campbell)
12. Captain Swing
                   -------------------------

Vickie
katefans@world.std.com

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (07/10/90)

Really-From: mcb@presto.ig.com (Michael C. Berch)

>                         Suspended In Gaffa 119
>                          Playlist for 6-23-90
>
>     * Artist *                             * Song *
> [...]
> 13. Nena                                   99 Luftballoons
> [...]
> 15. Nena                                   99 Red Balloons

Not really L-H/Gaffa mainstream stuff, but since it *was* in a Vickie's
Playlist...

Whatever *did* become of Nena, anyway?  She & the band were the prototypical
one-hit wonder of 1984 (?) or so, at least in the U.S., and were never
heard from again.  Rumours of Nena (Koerner's) death have made the
rounds ever since, and I have heard & seen posted various causes
including (1) drowning, (2) sailboat accident, (3) auto accident, and
(4) AIDS.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

--
Michael C. Berch
mcb@presto.ig.com / uunet!presto.ig.com!mcb / ames!bionet!mcb

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (07/10/90)

Really-From: Steve Wallis <stevew@mushroom.computer-science.manchester.ac.uk>

mcb@presto.ig.com (Michael C. Berch) writes:
>>                         Suspended In Gaffa 119
>>                          Playlist for 6-23-90
>>
>>     * Artist *                             * Song *
>> [...]
>> 13. Nena                                   99 Luftballoons
>> [...]
>> 15. Nena                                   99 Red Balloons
>
>Not really L-H/Gaffa mainstream stuff, but since it *was* in a Vickie's
>Playlist...
>
>Whatever *did* become of Nena, anyway?  She & the band were the prototypical
>one-hit wonder of 1984 (?) or so, at least in the U.S., and were never
>heard from again.  Rumours of Nena (Koerner's) death have made the
>rounds ever since, and I have heard & seen posted various causes
>including (1) drowning, (2) sailboat accident, (3) auto accident, and
>(4) AIDS.
>
>Can anyone shed any light on this?

Nena recorded an album after _99_Red_Balloons_ called "All In The Game".
It's a good album, though not as moving as _99_ which is one of my favourite
tracks of all time.  Nena has (hopefully not 'had') an excellent and varied
voice, though the (light) rock backing musicians may not be the average
love-hound's cup of tea (not that any love-hound is average, of course :-).

Steve.

   /    / / \    / /            -------------Steve Wallis-------------
   \/\ /\ \/ \  / \\/      /    | JANET: stevew@uk.ac.man.cs.r5      |
     /   \ \/ \/   \\//\  /     | Internet: stevew@r5.cs.man.ac.uk   |
                    \/  \/      | UUCP: ..mcvax!ukc!man.cs.r5!stevew |

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (07/10/90)

Really-From: portuesi%tweezers.esd@sgi.com (Michael Portuesi)

> Really-From: mcb@presto.ig.com (Michael C. Berch)

>>                         Suspended In Gaffa 119
>>                          Playlist for 6-23-90
>>
>>     * Artist *                             * Song *
>> [...]
>> 13. Nena                                   99 Luftballoons
>> [...]
>> 15. Nena                                   99 Red Balloons

> Not really L-H/Gaffa mainstream stuff, but since it *was* in a Vickie's
> Playlist...

> Whatever *did* become of Nena, anyway?  She & the band were the prototypical
> one-hit wonder of 1984 (?) or so, at least in the U.S., and were never
> heard from again.  Rumours of Nena (Koerner's) death have made the
> rounds ever since, and I have heard & seen posted various causes
> including (1) drowning, (2) sailboat accident, (3) auto accident, and
> (4) AIDS.

> Can anyone shed any light on this?

Last fall, Nena was interviewed live (via telephone) on MTV, so unless
something happened to her in the past year or so, she's still alive.

		--M
--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi   Silicon Graphics, Inc.   portuesi@sgi.com

    "man, this is weak."

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (07/12/90)

Really-From: liebla@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.de (Armin Liebl)

In article <9007100021.AA08559@presto.ig.com> Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU writes:

>Whatever *did* become of Nena, anyway?  She & the band were the prototypical
>one-hit wonder of 1984 (?) or so, at least in the U.S., and were never
>heard from again.  Rumours of Nena (Koerner's) death have made the
>rounds ever since, and I have heard & seen posted various causes
>including (1) drowning, (2) sailboat accident, (3) auto accident, and
>(4) AIDS.

Nena Kerner is alive!!!!! In 1989 she released an album
containing the single "Wunder gescheh'n" . And a miracle
happened to her: She become the mother of twins after her
first baby had died. Perhaps the death of the *baby*
caused the rumours.

--
Armin Liebl
Technische Universitaet Muenchen