[rec.music.gaffa] Disappointed with _TSW_ ?

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (07/20/90)

Really-From: James Smith <CCJS@cc.nu.oz.au>

From: ccjs@cc.nu.oz.au (James Smith)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Disappointed with _TSW_ ?
Date: 20 Jul 90 10:36:29 +1000

Larry Spence writes:

> but
> the fact is that _many_ (not all) Kate fans are a little disappointed with
> _TSW_.

That's rather a sweeping statement, Larry.  Can I make one as well?
Suppose we divide fans into those who discovered Kate at 'The Dreaming/
Hounds of Love' stage, and those who discovered her at the beginning.
Would it be correct to say that the former are the ones who are 'a little
disappointed with _TSW_'?  No evidence, no flames, just a thought... :-)

Jim

--
James Smith          | Diplomacy is a game of intense cooperation. It is not a
Computing Centre     | "nice" game...that is, it is a game where some vices

ccjs@cc.nu.oz.au (James Smith) (07/20/90)

Really-From: portuesi%tweezers.esd@sgi.com (Michael Portuesi)

> Really-From: James Smith <CCJS@cc.nu.oz.au>
> Larry Spence writes:

>> but
>> the fact is that _many_ (not all) Kate fans are a little disappointed with
>> _TSW_.

> That's rather a sweeping statement, Larry.  Can I make one as well?
> Suppose we divide fans into those who discovered Kate at 'The Dreaming/
> Hounds of Love' stage, and those who discovered her at the beginning.
> Would it be correct to say that the former are the ones who are 'a little
> disappointed with _TSW_'?  No evidence, no flames, just a thought... :-)

I discovered Kate at 'The Dreaming/Hounds of Love' stage and I am a
little disappointed with TSW.

So much for sweeping statements.

			--M
--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi   Silicon Graphics, Inc.   portuesi@sgi.com

    "man, this is weak."

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (07/21/90)

Really-From: Larry Spence <csccat!larry@texbell.swbt.com>

In article <3962.26a6dead@cc.nu.oz.au> you write:
>Larry Spence writes:
>
>> but
>> the fact is that _many_ (not all) Kate fans are a little disappointed with
>> _TSW_.
>
>That's rather a sweeping statement, Larry.

From Spence's Dictionary of Vague Terms:

  many: more than just a few; a whole bunch of 'em.  Not necessarily
        synonymous with "most."  Often used when precise statistics
        are unavailable.

>Suppose we divide fans into those who discovered Kate at 'The Dreaming/
>Hounds of Love' stage, and those who discovered her at the beginning.
>Would it be correct to say that the former are the ones who are 'a little
>disappointed with _TSW_'?

I can only offer one data point.  I fall into the former category, and I'm
a little disappointed in TSW.  I'd be interested in hearing what the logic
behind this is though.

Digression: Is the improvement in the UK import of HoL (vs. the US version)
very noticeable?  I'm pretty sure this has been beat to death in the past, so
if someone can just email me a comparison, I would appreciate it.

---
Larry Spence
larry@csccat
...{texbell,texsun}!csccat!larry
Internet: larry@csccat.lonestar.org

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (07/21/90)

Really-From: Lazlo Nibble <lazlo%hydra.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu>

James Smith writes:

> Suppose we divide fans into those who discovered Kate at 'The Dreaming/
> Hounds of Love' stage, and those who discovered her at the beginning.
> Would it be correct to say that the former are the ones who are 'a little
> disappointed with _TSW_'?  No evidence, no flames, just a thought... :-)

Nice thought, though I don't understand its mechanism.  I discovered
Kate as a direct result of |>oug's raving about HOUNDS OF LOVE, but I
found TSW to be a remarkably queefy and uninspired little album.  Where
HoL was a solid pleasure and full of wonderful moments, I think TSW is
much less coherent and with pleasant interludes few and far between.
(The best track, IMHO, was "This Woman's Work", which wasn't even new.)

As I said, I'm not sure what the theory MEANS, because I *also* enjoy
all her previous albums.  TSW is by my way of thinking the weakest of
the lot (and I mean to imply as much weakness as possible).

                                                   Lazlo (lazlo@hydra.unm.edu)
Human -------- Not Human  Employment - No Employment  Sex ------------- No Sex
Freedom	----- No Freedom  Choice --------- No Choice  TV --------------- No TV
Change ------- No Change  Memory --------- No Memory  Future ------- No Future
R       E       V        O        L        U        T        I       O       N

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (07/21/90)

Really-From: cray@balr.com (Chris Ray)

In article <9007201424.AA17326@csccat.UUCP> you write:
>Really-From: Larry Spence <csccat!larry@texbell.swbt.com>
>
>In article <3962.26a6dead@cc.nu.oz.au> you write:
>>Larry Spence writes:
>>
>>> but
>>> the fact is that _many_ (not all) Kate fans are a little disappointed with
>>> _TSW_.
>>
>>those who discovered her at the beginning.
>
>I can only offer one data point.  I fall into the former category, and I'm
>a little disappointed in TSW.  I'd be interested in hearing what the logic
>behind this is though.

well this will help the average...
I am one of those, the latter, those who where there from the start, and I
am also (i can't say it) d*s*pp**nt*d with her last effort..
I hate to do this too,
  Someone mentioned _TSW_ as Kates most _female_ work.. I am forced to second
that comment because, and this is on my first time through the album, I mean
I just opened it and listened to it (not even hearing it on the radio)
so I mean really my first reaction after listening to it was

      "KATE BUSH WANTS CHILDREN!!!"

I can hear the moans of disgust across the country...
But, that is just what I thought..

Chris (not of Chris and Vicki) but still in Chicago

--
| Chris Ray  cray@balr.com
| BALR Corporation
| Software Solutions in Real Time

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (07/22/90)

Really-From: mit-eddie!eddie.mit.edu!henrik@gatech.edu (Larry DeLuca)

Thank you, James!  I was about to make exactly the same point when
I got finished reading my backlog.

I think _The Sensual World_ is her most mature work to date (and I
also think that _Hounds of Love_ is much more mature than _The Dreaming_,
but that _Never For Ever_ has a lot to recommend over both of them).

I find _The Dreaming_ to be a challenging, stimulating, intensely
exploratory work of a brilliant but immature artist.  She's managing
all the pieces, but she's still so busy screaming new ideas at the
listener she's not quite able to make them work in concert yet.

A lot of people like this sort of approach.  Because of it, I listen
to _The Dreaming_ a lot less than my other Kate Bush albums.  For
example, _Lionheart_ is chock-full in much the way _The Dreaming_
is, but Powell manages to keep it [just barely] under control in a
way that _The Dreaming_ spills over now and then with.

Another good example of this problem is _Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation
1814_.  There are a number of songs which are so "thick" the album
is tiring to listen to.  I find after a play of _The Dreaming_ my
ears are worn out from the sheer gymnastics of listening to it.

_Hounds of Love_ and _The Sensual World_ have incredibly dynamic
elements about them, but the pieces in each successive album fit
together more smoothly.  Each technique is different and has its
own merits, but _The Sensual World_ is much more succession-based
than opposition-based.

One of the really nice things for me about _The Sensual World_ is
that so much of it is about Kate Bush the songwriter and less
about Kate Bush the producer.  Her unmistakable touches are
definitely there, but it's definitely the songs that are in the
driver's seat this time.  _Waking the Witch_ has a power and fury
that may never be matched, but _Never Be Mine_ can be as moving
a capella as with all the studio trappings.  Have you ever tried
to sing any song from _The Dreaming_ by itself?  Find it disappointing?
(Actually, my favorite example is "Never Be Mine" - I was listening
to it on my Walkman, and I am one of those annoying people who
sings along with his Walkman on the train sometimes, and I was
singing along with it, and then I stopped when the song ended, and
I noticed the woman across from me was now crying - she had been
merely placid before - it's a very moving song, and even someone
just singing along with their Walkman can convey that to someone
else).

This is not to say that I don't approve of creating complete works
where production is an important leg of the triangle (certainly
some of the work I've done depends on the production as much as
anything else).  It's just that _The Sensual World_ encompasses
some truly great writing, and much more subtlety.  Kate Bush doesn't
have to shout through reverse-reverb-digitally-delayed-gated-overdrives-
through-a-qantec - she can sit there at the piano and make us all
stand in awe just by playing "Under The Ivy".

I think she's grown up.

					larry...

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (07/22/90)

Really-From: jsd@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (Under Gail Succubus)

Dear old Jon is feeling a bit crusty today, so prepare for some
serious heresy...

>Really-From: mit-eddie!eddie.mit.edu!henrik@gatech.edu (Larry DeLuca)
>I find _The Dreaming_ to be a challenging, stimulating, intensely
>exploratory work of a brilliant but immature artist.  She's managing
>all the pieces, but she's still so busy screaming new ideas at the
>listener she's not quite able to make them work in concert yet.

I prefer the rawness and manic energy.  It feels as if she's saying
"wow!  look what you can DO if you push the limits!"

>A lot of people like this sort of approach.  Because of it, I listen
>to _The Dreaming_ a lot less than my other Kate Bush albums.  For
>example, _Lionheart_ is chock-full in much the way _The Dreaming_
>is, but Powell manages to keep it [just barely] under control in a
>way that _The Dreaming_ spills over now and then with.

This is a completely ludicrous analogy.  _The Dreaming_ was attempting
to define an entirely new musical vocabulary, whereas _Lionheart_ was
just adding a few frills to some tired old ideas.

>Another good example of this problem is _Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation
>1814_.  There are a number of songs which are so "thick" the album
>is tiring to listen to.  I find after a play of _The Dreaming_ my
>ears are worn out from the sheer gymnastics of listening to it.

When artists do that it's called "challenging the listener."  I like
being challenged, personally.  (Of course, there are times when I like
to sit back and veg out to something like "A Huge Ever-Growing
Pulsating Brain That Rules The World From The Centre Of the Ultra-World.")

>One of the really nice things for me about _The Sensual World_ is
>that so much of it is about Kate Bush the songwriter and less
>about Kate Bush the producer.  Her unmistakable touches are
>definitely there, but it's definitely the songs that are in the
>driver's seat this time.

A very astute observation.  It's clear which camp I prefer to be in, I
guess.  ("songs?  what're songs?  I just make neat noises for five
minutes and call it art!")

>_Waking the Witch_ has a power and fury
>that may never be matched, but _Never Be Mine_ can be as moving
>a capella as with all the studio trappings.  Have you ever tried
>to sing any song from _The Dreaming_ by itself?  Find it disappointing?

I think you're selling TD short, actually.  One of the most amazing
things about it is the fact that, yeah, you CAN strip away all the
production and actually sing the songs with an acoustic guitar.  But
that's not the point, is it?  I suppose it makes the songs easier for
street performers in Harvard Square to cover, but the music was MADE
to go with the sounds, and it works brilliantly that way, so why try
to make it something it was never intended to be?

>(Actually, my favorite example is "Never Be Mine" - I was listening
>to it on my Walkman, and I am one of those annoying people who
>sings along with his Walkman on the train sometimes, and I was
>singing along with it, and then I stopped when the song ended, and
>I noticed the woman across from me was now crying - she had been
>merely placid before - it's a very moving song, and even someone
>just singing along with their Walkman can convey that to someone
>else).

The only song on TSW that ever really MOVED me was This Woman's Work,
and its impact is diminishing for me.  On the other hand, Suspended In
Gaffa has only grown in its power to bring a tear to the eye.

>This is not to say that I don't approve of creating complete works
>where production is an important leg of the triangle (certainly
>some of the work I've done depends on the production as much as
>anything else).  It's just that _The Sensual World_ encompasses
>some truly great writing, and much more subtlety.

Unfortunately, the truly great writing is also mixed in with some
less-than-truly-great writing.

>Kate Bush doesn't
>have to shout through reverse-reverb-digitally-delayed-gated-overdrives-
>through-a-qantec - she can sit there at the piano and make us all
>stand in awe just by playing "Under The Ivy".

Too bad there was so little of that caliber on TSW.

>I think she's grown up.

And gotten tired.

+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? ---------------------+
|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | ZIK ZAK - We make everything you need, |
| \|on |/rukman | -Fight The Power- | and you need everything we make.       |

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (07/22/90)

Really-From: donley@milton.u.washington.edu (Erik D. Olson)

>Really-From: mit-eddie!eddie.mit.edu!henrik@gatech.edu (Larry DeLuca)
>
>One of the really nice things for me about _The Sensual World_ is
>that so much of it is about Kate Bush the songwriter and less
>about Kate Bush the producer.  Her unmistakable touches are
>  [stuff about singability on _TSW_ and not on _TD_ deleted.]

Interesting.  One of my biggest memories when my sister, who had been
the first in my family to get turned on to Kate (from hearing Wuthering
Heights -- the Pat Benetar version! :) ), showed up with a cassette of
_The Dreaming_ one afternoon.  Her opinion was "hated it!  Where's her
singing gone?  Too many effects on her voice."  (She owned the first
3 albums, btw, and loved them.)  I on the other hand, started listening
to TD every day on my walkman just because there was so much to LISTEN
to.  I didn't even understand what half the lyrics were saying until
I got my quite worn out dup cassette replaced with a CD a couple years
back.  I think you are right... TSW is sort of a return to straight
songwriting for the most part.  I think I'll send my sister a copy.

   - Erik

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
>Really-From: mit-eddie!eddie.mit.edu!henrik@gatech.edu (Larry DeLuca)
>
>One of the really nice things for me about _The Sensual World_ is
>that so much of it is about Kate Bush the songwriter and less
>about Kate Bush the producer.  Her unmistakable touches are
   [stuff about singability of _TD_ and _TSW_ deleted.]

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (07/23/90)

Really-From: James Smith <CCJS@cc.nu.oz.au>

From: ccjs@cc.nu.oz.au (James Smith)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Date: 23 Jul 90 10:35:32 +1000

Larry Spence writes (in reply to myself):

>>Suppose we divide fans into those who discovered Kate at 'The Dreaming/
>>Hounds of Love' stage, and those who discovered her at the beginning.
>>Would it be correct to say that the former are the ones who are 'a little
>>disappointed with _TSW_'?

> I'd be interested in hearing what the logic behind this is though.

I guess you could group people into two classes: those who are attracted
to Kate's music because it is her music, and those who are attracted
because it is a particular style of music.

Take for example Linda Ronstadt.  She has I think had three separate
styles: Country and Western, Popular, and 40s.  Some people are attracted
to her C&W music, others to her popular stuff, and still others to her
latest work.  There is also a small group who like all her work, because
they are attracted by her work rather than the style of the music that she
performs.

Kate is also an artist who changes her style, though perhaps not as
drastically.  I'm sure there are people who like her first album, but
think the rest were not worth making.  I am also sure there are people
who feel the same way about HoL.  Perhaps for those people TSW is a
disapointment because it is a change.

Of course, all this is just theory.  And I am talking in absolutes.  :-)

Jim

--

ccjs@cc.nu.oz.au (James Smith) (07/23/90)

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (07/24/90)

Really-From: hsu@Eng.Sun.COM (Dave Hsu [Contractor])

In article <9007221649.AA01797@gaffa.MIT.EDU> ol' jsd writes:
>The only song on TSW that ever really MOVED me was This Woman's Work,
>and its impact is diminishing for me.  On the other hand, Suspended In
>Gaffa has only grown in its power to bring a tear to the eye.

Bravo.  Mostly well said, although I think you shortchange the title track,
a marvel of impressionism.  After all these years I must confess that my
favorite remains Get Out of My House.

On a practical note, Bay-Area L-H's south of Mountain View, I plan to be
making the trek to Chez IED for Katemas this year (leaving early Saturday
in order to arrive fashionably late, return TBD) so do drop me some e-mail
soon if you're interested in a ride.

"Summer in DC?  Hah!"

-dave

--
Dave Hsu	 Sun Microsystems MS 14-40    (415) 336 5253    in a pinch:
hsu@Eng.Sun.COM  2535 Garcia Avenue, Mountain View, CA 94043  hsu@eng.umd.edu

"Time wounds all heels."

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (07/24/90)

Really-From: oskard%wol@cs.umass.edu

>"Summer in DC?  Hah!"

Well at least it only gets up to 95 and humid here in Mass!

David oskard@cs.umass.edu

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (07/27/90)

Really-From: tracyr@uunet.uu.net (Tracy Roberts)

>Really-From: hsu@Eng.Sun.COM (Dave Hsu [Contractor])
>
> [...]
>
>On a practical note, Bay-Area L-H's south of Mountain View, I plan to be
>making the trek to Chez IED for Katemas this year (leaving early Saturday
>in order to arrive fashionably late, return TBD) so do drop me some e-mail
>soon if you're interested in a ride.

COOL!  That wild and zany Dave Hsu will be at IED's!  Gee, with
all the trips out here you'd think he'd *move* to our sunny
state.

See you all on 5 south...

jane

P.S. Am meeting Jon Drukman at some god-knows-where pub
tonight.  He regrets that he won't be able to attend IED's
bash, as his flight departs from the bay area late Saturday
night.  He will call us, though.

P.P.S. I don't know what jsd looks like, but have been
instructed to look for someone with a `god-like physical
envelope, wearing a shirt blacker than the black of night, and
jeans bluer than the blue of his eyes'.

--
"I like an empty head."			--sallyw

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (07/28/90)

Really-From: vecvax!ken@Sun.COM (Ken Stuart)

Hello Gaffans,
	Well, it has been slightly over a year since I posted here.  I
lost my access to e-mail as well as USENET, since I changed to
contract work, but now I have a new "permanent position" with e-mail.
	My last posting concerned the ethics of distributing tapes of
presumably stolen Kate material.  What ever happened with that
project?
	Of course, the biggest event since then was TSW, and though I
had MHO concerning it, I assumed two things:
1) TSW discussion was long over (at least in terms of general
reaction).
2) Love-Hounds would react like most fans and most artists themselves
in feeling that the most recent album is, of course, the best.
--
	I was VERY pleasantly surprised to find that both of the above
are wrong.  (One of the things that endears Dave Brock [of Hawkwind]
to me as an artist is that in 1976, he got the first pressing of his
new album, and after having listened to it, tossed it out the window!)
	It is only with this posting that I have actually listened to
all of the KB albums.  My current ranking (from best to least) is NOT
what I would have expected from what I had read here about them:
		The Kick Inside
		Never for Ever
		The Dreaming
		Lionheart
		Hounds of Love
		The Sensual World
	I like both simple and complex music, so that is not a factor.
[I just put "Kick Inside" into the Walkman to give me a more direct
idea of what I'd like to convey - you can't do that with a book or
movie review!]
	First I should say that I like interesting, intelligent
lyrics, but that I only look for that after I have come to some sort
of feeling about the music.  The singing could be in a foreign
language and it wouldn't matter to me [in fact one of my favorite
albums is "Per Un Amico" by PFM and I still haven't the foggiest idea
what they are singing about!].
	To me, it is the melodies (and their internal harmonies) that
are the exceptional aspect of "The Kick Inside".  I think the songs
could be very effectively performed by other musicians - as long as
they really understood the music (usually not the case with covers!).
In fact, I can easily visualize a Wagnerian orchestra playing
"Wuthering Heights"; in fact, I think that WH really is classical
music.
	And, the performances in tKI also have qualities not found in
the recent albums.  In "The Man With The Child In His Eyes", the
singing has a calm and clear quality - you get the impression that she
is not anxious to get to the next note (hmm... this is a difficult
quality to describe...).  Each note stands on its own merits.  Those
of you who agree that different periods of time have different
qualities, might also agree that this calm and clear quality was
easier to achieve in 1977 than in 1989.
	Never for Ever was a pleasant surprise.  I have yet to read
anything about it, nor even see a copy for sale anywhere!  (except, of
course, for the album I finally found used).  It seems to combine some
of the best qualities of The Kick Inside and The Dreaming.  (PS Unlike
the previous poster, I hum songs from the Dreaming all the time!).  I
like the way the songs in NfE create their own atmosphere (like early
Genesis w/Gabriel).  The Dreaming does this too, but I think that
sometimes the effect is marred by things like talking and telephones
ringing that make it sound like you're listening to a movie
soundtrack.
	Frankly, I found TSW to be somewhat crude and commercial in
comparison to her other albums.  If some consider this to be maturity,
then they must have a rather cynical outlook.  I think the previous
poster who said "tired" was more accurate.
	Enough said for now...
				Ken
PS Gaffans might like the excellent album by The Sundays...
PPS I am looking to purchase a copy of 'the Kick Inside" as:
	- original US LP
	- reissue US LP
	- any issue UK LP
	- any issue UK CD
Send me your horrible obsolete black discs :-)
---

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (07/30/90)

Really-From: Slick Tongue Corrections <jsd@gaffa.MIT.EDU>

>Really-From: vecvax!ken@Sun.COM (Ken Stuart)
>I like the way the songs in NfE create their own atmosphere (like early
>Genesis w/Gabriel).  The Dreaming does this too, but I think that
>sometimes the effect is marred by things like talking and telephones
>ringing that make it sound like you're listening to a movie
>soundtrack.

"marred"?  "MARRED"?  Well, I guess this is what makes horse racing...