[rec.music.gaffa] I think you've hit on something!

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (07/22/90)

Really-From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)

James Smith writes:

>That's rather a sweeping statement, Larry.  Can I make one as well?
>Suppose we divide fans into those who discovered Kate at 'The Dreaming/
>Hounds of Love' stage, and those who discovered her at the beginning.
>Would it be correct to say that the former are the ones who are 'a little
>disappointed with _TSW_'?  No evidence, no flames, just a thought... :-)

I think you're on to something here!  In fact, I've noticed it myself.
While I didn't discover her quite at the beginning, the first album of
hers that I heard (and that I fell in love with) was _The Kick Inside_.
Well, I love _The Sensual World_.  I haven't yet found any exceptions
to your rule, which I would state as follows:  If the first album you
fell in love with was _TKI_ or _Lionheart_, you'll think _TSW_ is a great
album.  If the first such album was _TD_, or _HOL_, you won't.  I don't
know anybody whose first love is _Never For Ever_.

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov

jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka) (07/22/90)

In article <9007212201.AA01317@das.llnl.gov> Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)

>I think you're on to something here!  In fact, I've noticed it myself.
>While I didn't discover her quite at the beginning, the first album of
>hers that I heard (and that I fell in love with) was _The Kick Inside_.
>Well, I love _The Sensual World_.  I haven't yet found any exceptions
>to your rule, which I would state as follows:  If the first album you
>fell in love with was _TKI_ or _Lionheart_, you'll think _TSW_ is a great
>album.  If the first such album was _TD_, or _HOL_, you won't.  I don't
>know anybody whose first love is _Never For Ever_.

>Ed

Here I am.  Yeah, me, the one who's first KaTedisc was _Never For Ever_.

And, as one might guess from your _rather_ informal 'rule,' I have mixed
feelings about TSW.

Maybe, though, this has to do with the order in which I grew to love all
the albums...completely unchronologically.  NFE, HoL, TKI, LH, TD, then TSW.

I didn't hear HoL and decide that I _had_ to have TD since it was s'posed to
be in a similar vein (of sorts).

I spent two or three months trying to get into TSW.  Apart from "This Woman's
Work" (one of KaTe's best songs ever, regardless of what IED would say of
my use of 'best'), the album eluded me.  Finally, something clicked...
TSW is hardly my favorite KaTe album....that would be HoL.  It's definitely
not my least favorite...that would be Lionheart.  It's somewhere in the
middle, hitched up with Never For Ever, slightly behind The Dreaming.
"The Fog," "TWW," "Rocket's Tail," "TSW"--these songs are all very KaTe to me.
I can complain, as do others, about the wall-of-sound, dense feel of the
album, as opposed to something like HoL.  I prefer KaTe when her production
is light and airy...even when its bashing your head in with the percussion.

But geez...something about her "Hmmmm, yess."

Ya gotta love it!

Jeff

|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "On the outskirts of nowhere           |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   |  on the ringroad to somewhere,         |
|jburka@amber.ucs.indiana.edu    |  on the verge of indecision..." --Fish |

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (07/22/90)

Really-From: adobe!!dkletter@decwrl.dec.com (Akbar & Jeff's SUPPORT GROUP for the vaguely dissatisfied)

ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi) writes...

>I think you're on to something here!  In fact, I've noticed it myself.
>While I didn't discover her quite at the beginning, the first album of
>hers that I heard (and that I fell in love with) was _The Kick Inside_.
>Well, I love _The Sensual World_.  I haven't yet found any exceptions
>to your rule, which I would state as follows:  If the first album you
>fell in love with was _TKI_ or _Lionheart_, you'll think _TSW_ is a great
>album.  If the first such album was _TD_, or _HOL_, you won't.

er, hate to throw your theory out the window, but my first album was
HOL (which i loved) and i like TSW just as well...

now back to my lurking 2:^)

--
"Yellow... black and rectangular... with wedged shapes inside... Oh, I see
them everywhere... Am I losing my mind?"

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (07/22/90)

Really-From: a pattern on a china bowl <woiccare@clutx.clarkson.edu>

Ed sez in response to somebody i can't remember (sorry):
>>Suppose we divide fans into those who discovered Kate at 'The Dreaming/
>>Hounds of Love' stage, and those who discovered her at the beginning.
>>Would it be correct to say that the former are the ones who are 'a little
>>disappointed with _TSW_'?  No evidence, no flames, just a thought... :-)

> I think you're on to something here! I haven't yet found any exceptions
> to your rule, which I would state as follows:  If the first album you
> fell in love with was _TKI_ or _Lionheart_, you'll think _TSW_ is a great
> album.  If the first such album was _TD_, or _HOL_, you won't.

alright - i guess i'm an exception. my first was hol (wore out the writing
on the cassette in fact!) and i'm partial to tsw - sure there are some
songs i can do without ("between and man and a woman" for one), but i
still feel it's a good KaTe album. as jeffery said, some of the songs like
"the fog", "tsw", "deeper understanding" and "never be mine" are just
KaTe and outweigh any thing that doesn't work elsewhere - and the sound
quality was never a factor for me. the only thing that bothers me there
is absolute unlistenability.

woj

'the rule breaker' :)

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (07/22/90)

Really-From: Stephen Thomas <spt1@ukc.ac.uk>

What about those people who discovered her via TSW, such as myself?  What is
their opinion?  The order I got the albums was TSW, HoL, TKI, LH, TD then NFE.
I originally got TSW on CD single, and then got the album as a result of the
discussion on this group.

As far as favourites are concerned my loyalties are divided between HoL and TD,
depending on what I need from them at the time.  Like Jeff, my least favourite
is LH.  And TSW?  Well, that comes just after LH, for similar reasons: on
LH there are tracks that I just cannot get a handle on - they refuse to stick
in my memory, and there are a couple of tracks on TSW like that.

Since TSW was my first album, I am only aware of its, er, different sound
qualities in retrospect, after listening to TD and HoL, and I prefer the
crisp percussive effects of the latter two.  But that is *only* a preference,
and I do not feel that TSW is necessarily a sub-standard because of it's
different sound qualities.  The reason it doesn't go on my CD player too
often is because I don't need what it offers at the moment.  Ask me when
I am feeling a lot darker emotionally.

Stephen
--
| "Voice in your head ...       | Stephen Thomas -----------------------------|
| You liked what it said        | Email: spt1@ukc.ac.uk; Smail: Computing Lab,|

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (07/23/90)

Really-From: wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu (Bill Wisner)

>					        If the first album you
>fell in love with was _TKI_ or _Lionheart_, you'll think _TSW_ is a great
>album.  If the first such album was _TD_, or _HOL_, you won't.

For me it was The Whole Story. I then moved on to HoL and TD and loved
them. Then I got TKI and loved it. Then I got TSW and it more or less
completely failed to grab me (tho I do quite like Love and Anger and
Rocket's Tail). Go figure.

Bill Wisner <wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu> Gryphon Gang Fairbanks AK 99775
"Any group who starts out a song by screaming 'SATAN! SATAN! SATAN!' can't
be too bad..." -- Richard Caley <rjc@cstr.ed.ac.uk> on the Butthole Surfers

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (07/28/90)

Really-From: morning@mountains.Eng.Sun.COM (Cristina Ungstad)

>...TSW,... >...albums was TSW, HoL, TKI, LH, TD then NFE.
>Since TSW ...TD and HoL..

Hi, I've been trying to figure out what this alias is all about, but
I'm hopelessly lost. Could someone clue me in?

Cristina

In article <139785@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> you write:
>Really-From: morning@mountains.Eng.Sun.COM (Cristina Ungstad)
>>
>>...TSW,... >...albums was TSW, HoL, TKI, LH, TD then NFE.
>>Since TSW ...TD and HoL..
>
>Hi, I've been trying to figure out what this alias is all about, but
>I'm hopelessly lost. Could someone clue me in?

Sorry.  They are

TKI:  The Kick Inside
LH:   Lionheart
NFE:  Never For Ever
TD:   The Dreaming
HoL:  Hounds of Love
TSW:  The Sensual World.

One other you might see referred to is

TWS:  The Whole Story (a compilation album).

Hope this helps.

>Cristina

Stephen

--

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (07/30/90)

Really-From: hsu@Eng.Sun.COM (Dave Hsu [Contractor])

In article <139785@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> you write:
>>...TSW,... >...albums was TSW, HoL, TKI, LH, TD then NFE.
>>Since TSW ...TD and HoL..
>
>Hi, I've been trying to figure out what this alias is all about, but
>I'm hopelessly lost. Could someone clue me in?

You've wandered into the progressive music (really Kate Bush) newsgroup.
The initials refer to her albums: The Sensual World, Hounds of Love,
The Kick Inside, Lionheart, The Dreaming, and Never For Ever.

-dave