[rec.music.gaffa] Happy Birthday

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/16/90)

Really-From: nrc@cbema.att.com (Neal R Caldwell, Ii)

Happy Fifth Birthday, Love-Hounds.

Thanks to Sakari Jalovaara for preventing this occaision from going
unnoted.

It's amazing how far it's come since that original distribution list
of eight people.  Doug's was the only familier name on that list (to
me anyway) but I wonder if any of the other charter members are lurking
out there.

Anyone care to give a capsule history of Love-Hounds?  How quickly did
it grow?  Just how big is it anyway?  When did it take it's current form
as a mail/newsgroup.  And just when did you [the reader] discover
Love-Hounds?

Forgive me if I wax a bit nostalgic but this came just as I was
tripping down memory lane anyway.  It was just about five years ago
now that I saw Kate for the very first time.  Being a nightowl I was
privileged to see MTV's airing of the Wogan _Running Up That Hill_
video several times.  Each time I saw the video I was more fascinated
by this artist and I was curious to see the next video (_Cloudbusting_)
which MTV said would be airing soon.   Unfortunately I never saw the
next video and I didn't go looking for her records.

Little did I know that even then a small group of Kate devotees were
forming an electronic mailing list...

Kate crossed my path again when I caught part of the USA network's
showing of the Hammersmith show.  I tuned in right in the middle of
_James and the Cold Gun_ and all I could think was (forgive me)
"weird".

It wasn't until a friend wanted me to hear _Experiment IV_ that
I saw the light.  As he was scanning through _The Whole Story_
looking for _Experiment IV_ he commented, "Uuuh, the rest of it's
kinda strange."  But I had caught a bit of _Army Dreamers_ and I knew
that I had to hear the entire tape.  The rest is history.  The entire
CD catalog was ours within six months.

When I found that there were videos around of many of Kate's
television appearances I thought it would be nice to find one with the
Wogan performance of _RUTH_ just to recall the feeling of seeing Kate
for the first time.  I finally found it just last week and I wasn't
disappointed.  It's a wonderfully simple performance, brilliant - well,
as lip syncs go.

"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
                                          AT&T Network Systems
                                          att!cbnews!nrc
                                          nrc@cbnews.att.com

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/17/90)

Really-From: That's Penis! <jsd@gaffa.MIT.EDU>

>Really-From: nrc@cbema.att.com (Neal R Caldwell, Ii)
>
>Happy Fifth Birthday, Love-Hounds.
>
>Thanks to Sakari Jalovaara for preventing this occaision from going
>unnoted.

Being something of a pathological party pooper (say that ten times
fast) I feel compelled to point out that love-hounds actually existed
in some form before that first message.  That just happened to be
where the archives start.  Also, one must bear in mind that |>oug was
raising hell on net.music by posting huge articles about Kate Bush all
the time and everybody was getting sick of him, so they told him to go
away and be a pest somewhere else.  Hopefully this is all dead wrong
and |>oug will come back and set us straight once and for all.

+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? ---------------------+
|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | ZIK ZAK - We make everything you need, |
| \|on |/rukman | -Fight The Power- | and you need everything we make.       |

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/18/90)

Really-From: nrc@cbema.att.com

Love-Hounds seems to be one sick puppy about right now.  This will
be my third try for this post.

Let's try again:

We had another fruitful visit to a record show here in Columbus last
weekend.  New aquisitions include a couple more U.K. singles, the
_Hounds of Love_ 12", the _On Stage_ E.P.  and a couple of videos.

The E.P. has seen better days and I after hearing it I just thank
goodness that these tracks are supposed to be on the rarities CD.
As far as I know this is the only source of the live version of
_Lamour Looks Something Like You_.  In these days of lip-syncing
posers its refreshing to hear such a beautiful live performance.

Buying video compilations of Kate's TV appearances can be a dicey
thing.  Its difficult to be sure what you're getting unless the person
selling the things has a monitor to check the video out.  It seems
that the better ones often do and I'd recommend only buying things
that you can check first.  The prices are high and the quality
generally stinks but your options are pretty limited if you want to
see these gems of Kateology.

One lady was hawking what must have certainly been the rarest KT
appearances of all.  The photocopied label on her shrink wrapped
generic video cassettes touted rarely encountered Kate Bush tunes such
as "Unbeleivable," "Breath the Heat," "December Wind" and my favorite,
"There Goes a Teacher."  Anyone who can't even get the titles right
isn't getting any of my cash.

"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
                                          att!cbnews!nrc
                                          nrc@cbnews.att.com

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/18/90)

Really-From: nrc@cbema.att.com

Oops, I got my subjects mixed up while trying to post these again.