[rec.music.gaffa] Everything But The Girl

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/08/90)

Really-From: Douglas MacGowan <macgowan@NISC.SRI.COM>

I just recently bought the latest tape by Everything But The Girl -
I had heard "Driving" and "The Road" on a new-age radio station.

These guys are good!

I've heard their name (a hard one to forget) tossed around on Love-Hounds,
but never paid that much attention.

Now, I come begging for some more info.  Who are these two people?
What's the story behind them?  Are their other albums as good as
this one?   What are their other albums?

Any and all info and opinions would be appreciated.  Respond to the list
or directly to me.

Douglas MacGowan
MACGOWAN@NISC.SRI.COM

"Madonna is not fit to clean the biscuit crumbs from between
 Kate's piano keys."

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/09/90)

Really-From: the weirdo of the lifetime <woiccare@clutx.clarkson.edu>

Douglas MacGowan sez:
> I just recently bought the latest tape by Everything But The Girl -
> I had heard "Driving" and "The Road" on a new-age radio station.

new age?!?

> Now, I come begging for some more info.  Who are these two people?
> What's the story behind them?  Are their other albums as good as
> this one?   What are their other albums?

sorry, i'm not that knowledgable about ebtg, *but* i can tell you
that the singer is tracey thorne and that she used to be in a band
called the marine girls. if you *ever* see this album, get it!!

it's much different than the material she makes now: more folky
perhaps is one way of saying it. very simple tunes and guitarwork
(no keys) rules here. maybe kinda like the roches on acid or some-
thing...

woj

sseidman@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (The MIDIman) (08/11/90)

Really-From: Douglas MacGowan <macgowan@NISC.SRI.COM>

>I just recently bought the latest tape by Everything But The Girl -
>I had heard "Driving" and "The Road" on a new-age radio station.
>
>These guys are good!

Yeah.  "The Language of Life" is a GREAT album.

>Now, I come begging for some more info.  Who are these two people?

Ben Watt and Tracey Thorn.  I have seen a Tracey Thorn solo album with a
copyright date from the early 80's, but I never picked it up.

>What's the story behind them?  Are their other albums as good as
>this one?   What are their other albums?

I don't think any of their other albums are quite as good as their latest, but
that is because of the musician line-up.  I mean, look at all the popular jazz
people they have playing on it.  You might also want to pick up "Idlewild"
which was their previous album.  This is not nearly as jazzy though, listening
to it the other day, there were parts that reminded me of 10,000 Maniacs.  It
has that alternative pop sound to it.  The one to stay away from is an album
where it is just Thron singing with an orchestra.  I can't remember the name
of the album (I think it might be "Baby the Stars Shine Bright"), but it is
very different.  Their other stuff is on import (from UK) only.

I have also seen some CD singles to the latest album.  I have a US version of
the single for "Take Me" which has an excellent remixed version of the song.
I have also seen import singles from the UK for both "Take Me" and "Driving".
One of them, I can't remember which one, has an unavailable track on it.

--
sseidman@polyslo.calpoly.edu         Steven R. Seidman    "The MIDIman"
"When I had first heard electronic music, it had affected me so strongly

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/16/90)

Really-From: abvax!astro.pc.ab.com!lieser@uunet.UU.NET

In article <CMM.0.88.650125623.macgowan@fs4.NISC.SRI.COM>, Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
> Really-From: Douglas MacGowan <macgowan@NISC.SRI.COM>
>

> I just recently bought the latest tape by Everything But The Girl -
..
> Now, I come begging for some more info.  Who are these two people?
> What's the story behind them?  Are their other albums as good as
> this one?   What are their other albums?

They are Tracey Thorn and Ben Watt, and they're English.  I'm not clear
about their careers before EBTG, but their first album as EBTG was called
Eden in England, and just Everything But The Girl in the U.S.  This was
released in 1984.  I haven't heard this one.
The second album was "Love Not Money", which has a funny cover photo of
a couple of kids urinating into a puddle.  This was released in 1985, and
is worth listening to.
Third album: "Baby, the Stars Shine Bright" in 1986.  This is an orchestral
album, complete with strings, horns, and a choir backing up Tracey's vocals.
To me, it's reminiscent of big band music, with some pop flair too.  Nice.
Fourth album: "Idlewild" in 1988.  If you like the latest album, you'll
probably like this one.  Ms. Thorn is capable of displaying a lot of emotion
in her vocals, which she demonstrates here.
Happy listening!

Ed Lieser

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/18/90)

Really-From: harveyw@bcm.tmc.edu (Harvey B. Westbrook)