[rec.music.gaffa] twins, etc.

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/29/90)

Really-From: gb10@gte.com (Gregory Bossert)

Richard Locke mentions a new Cocteau Twins single, which reminds me of
a few questions I've been meaning to ask.

1)  Can anyone recommend a source of information about 4AD records and
its key members.  I'm particularly interested in house engineer and This
Mortal Coil member John Fryer (compare the Fryer produced songs on Pretty
Hate Machine (Nine Inch Nails) with the Adrian Sherwood/Flood/La Blanc/etc.
ones... Fryer has a remarkable ear for ambient detail). Also, 23 envelope
(one of my favorite album art producers) and the mysterious Ivo are of
interest...  I'm doubly interested because they have signed two highly-
alternative Boston groups in the last few years (Pixies and Throwing Muses)
and, hey, _I'm_ an alternative Boston musician.

2)  Anyone know when/if a new My Bloody Valentine album can be expected?
There is a new CD single floating around, but it's expensive.  While we
are at it, any rumors on new Enya, Sarah McLachlan, Pylon, etc.

3)  Sorry to throw in a regional reference, but Boston area l-hounds
might want to keep an eye out for Placebo Coup, a Boston-based, North
Carolina-derived guitar/guitar/bass/drums group with great (out-there)
female vocals.  More melodic than Pylon, a lot faster than Hugo Largo.
They are playing at Club 3 in Sommerville this Friday (or maybe Thursday?),
and you can request stuff from their tape on WFNX (try Juanita the "Scene
Queen"...)

3)  I saw a KaTe poster in Second Coming records a year or two ago that has
been haunting me.  It was black and white, and as I recall it Ms. Bush was
wearing a dark leotard and standing with one arm pointing straight up out
of the frame.  It had a blue printed "autograph" at the top left.  At the
time, they only had one copy left, and it was taped to the wall.  When I
went back a few hours later to make them an offer on it, it was gone. *sigh*

So, can anyone tell me when/where the photo was from, and where I can track
aone down?  Some of my posters got damaged when my studio flooded (don't
ask... it was awful), so I'd better buy some more, right?

Footah!
-greg -- gb10@gte.com -- "Here, stick this fish in your ear!"

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/30/90)

Really-From: Jon Drukman <jsd@gaffa.MIT.EDU>

In article <9008291648.AA28810@bunny.gte.com> you write:
>interest...  I'm doubly interested because they have signed two highly-
>alternative Boston groups in the last few years (Pixies and Throwing Muses)
>and, hey, _I'm_ an alternative Boston musician.

I don't think I'd call the Pixies or the Muses "highly alternative"
although they're certainly more alternative than, say, The Cars.
Anyway, I happen to be an alternative Boston musician as well!  Why
don't you come check out our live show - this sunday, at Green Street
Station!  I'm the bass player for the award winning band SMEGABUCKS...

--
+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? ---------------------+
|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | ZIK ZAK - We make everything you need, |

larsi@ifi.uio.no