[rec.music.gaffa] The Box in Boston

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/21/90)

Really-From: Liz Bonesteel <eboneste@BBN.COM>

In article <9009210403.AA09314@bunny.gte.com> Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU writes:
>I'm assuming Newbury Comics will
>have it here in Boston,

Oh, ye of tremendous faith.  Unless CBS, out of the goodness of their
hearts, officially authorizes the distribution of the Box, it will be
illegal for any record store in the US to import and resell it.  NC
used to have an influx of "unauthorized" material every couple of
months (stupid me, upon seeing THREE import XTC discs one day, bought
one, figuring I'd have time to save more money before buying the
others), but now that they've become a genuine chain they don't
indulge in such practices anymore.  (Case in point:  I picked up an
old Joy Division disc entitled "Warsaw" there last year that turned
out to be [most likely] a bootleg.  When a fellow JD fan called their
Framingham store to see if they had it, he was told somewhat
defensively "We don't CARRY bootlegs!" A few weeks later, the disc
disappeared from their stock and I haven't seen it since.) I suppose
they figure they're big enough to attract the attention of the Feds
now.

>but just in case do we have a definate mail order
>source???

I understand both HMV and Tower in London accept orders from the US.
After the VAT discount the price tends to be pretty competitive.  I
don't have the numbers, but I'm sure some kind Love-Hound will post
them when the time comes.

Planning to eat meat loaf for a few months,

Liz

I feel better than James Brown.
		- Was (Not Was)

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/22/90)

Really-From: jost@alice.coyote.trw.com (Patrick Jost)

>>but just in case do we have a definate mail order
>>source???
>
>I understand both HMV and Tower in London accept orders from the US.
>After the VAT discount the price tends to be pretty competitive.  I
>don't have the numbers, but I'm sure some kind Love-Hound will post
>them when the time comes.

Tower: 1 Piccadilly Circus, London W1 England
HMV: 150 Oxford Street, London W1 England

Writing works better than phoning. Both have efficient mail order
departments; when you phone, you get general information, and I
wouldn't count on the order getting taken properly-the same applies
to addresses and credit card numbers.

At the same time, someone can initiate a letter writing campaign
to CBS. Since I posted this information, it canbe someone else...

PJ
--

Patrick Jost                        | "Call it synchronicity, call it deja vu,
jost@coyote.trw.com                 |              -Marillion (Fish)

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/25/90)

Really-From: Jeffrey C. Burka <jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu>

Really-From: jost@alice.coyote.trw.com (Patrick Jost)

>Writing works better than phoning. Both have efficient mail order
>departments; when you phone, you get general information, and I
>wouldn't count on the order getting taken properly-the same applies
>to addresses and credit card numbers.

I don't have HMV's fax number (sorry!), but I got a couple of Marillion
CD's through them by faxing a request.

They were very fast, and the prices were quite resonable, even with shipping.

I could probably find out the fax number if someone needs it... (my dad orderedthe stuff for me from his office; he has the number somewhere, I'm sure)

If you write/fax HMV an order, _make sure_ you specify CD's or whatever medium
you want...

Jeff
--
|Jeffrey C. Burka                | "At night they're seen                 |
|jburka@silver.ucs.indiana.edu   |  Laughing, loving, 	                  |