[rec.music.gaffa] Suzanne Vega

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/22/89)

Really-From: "Mike Pritchard" <mpp@uf.msc.umn.edu>

While searching the local record shops for any new Kate items, I ran
across a live Suzanne Vega album that I've never heard of before.
It is an Australian import and the title is "Suzanne Vega Live in London 1986."
It contains "Left of Centre" (not a typo, they used the British spelling),
"Neighborhood Girls", "Straight Lines", "Black Widow Station" (which I've
only heard on the Bravo special), "Knight Moves" and "Cracking".
A sticker added by the record shop stated "Limited edition" for whatever
that is worth.

Now I'm wondering what other Suzanne Vega items may be out there?
Anyone have a complete list?  Here is what I know of:

Suzanne Vega - Suzanne Vega
Solitude Standing
Suzanne Vega Live in London 1986.
Left of Center from the "Pretty in Pink" sound track.
3" CD-single w/ Luka, Left of Center (live), and Neighborhood Girls (listed
	as live, but really the studio cut).
10" Marlene on the Wall, Neighborhood Girls, Small Blue Thing (live),
	Straight Lines (live)
12" Gypsy, Cracking (live), and Night Moves (again, not a typo - it is
	listed as Night moves on the jacket, but it is correct on the label).
12" Tom's Diner, Left of Center, Tom's Diner (live), and Luka (live)
12" Luka, Straight Lines (live), and Neighborhood Girls (live)

And so we don't repeat the discussion that took place in rec.music.cd
a week or two ago, here is a list of Suzanne Vega CD-Singles as supplied
by Jerry Boyajian (boyajian@ruby.dec.com):

--
Mike Pritchard
Internet: mpp@msc.umn.edu

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/23/89)

Really-From: tlh@PacBell.COM (Lee Hounshell)

In article <8909220444.AA24238@uf.msc.umn.edu> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: "Mike Pritchard" <mpp@uf.msc.umn.edu>
>Now I'm wondering what other Suzanne Vega items may be out there?
>Anyone have a complete list?  Here is what I know of:

I heard a rumor that Suzanne Vega would be releasing a new album sometime
early next year.  Does anyone have more details on this?

Lee Hounshell

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/23/89)

Really-From: Gary L Dare <gld@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu>

Lee Hounshell wrote:

>I heard a rumor that Suzanne Vega would be releasing a new album
>sometime early next year.  Does anyone have more details on this?

In Tower's Pulse Magazine, the lead-off to their NEW YORK column said
she was in the studio, and gave details of her new band; her backup
singer from the last album and tour has moved on to her own career.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Je me souviens ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gary L. Dare				Quebec Elections, 25 Sept.:

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/25/89)

Really-From: bloch%mandrill@ucsd.edu (Steve Bloch)

"Mike Pritchard" <mpp@uf.msc.umn.edu> mentions
>a live Suzanne Vega album that I've never heard of before.
>It is an Australian import and the title is "Suzanne Vega Live in London 1986."
>Now I'm wondering what other Suzanne Vega items may be out there?

Reading your list, I can see I've lost touch with Suzanne's output; I
only have the two albums (i.e. what you can buy without hunting).  By
the way, I haven't seen it discussed here... does everybody know where
Tom's Diner is?  My roommate says he used to frequent a Tom's Diner on
the East Side in Manhattan, a few doors away from St. Somebody's
Cathedral.  Have to check the precise location with him.

"Writers are a funny breed / I should know" -- Jane Siberry

bloch%cs@ucsd.edu

Julian.West@MAC.DARTMOUTH.EDU (11/07/89)

Steve Bloch asks:
> where's Suzanne Vega?

The new Vega album will reportedly be out in January.

----------------------- jenn (from julian's account) -----

Julian.West@MAC.DARTMOUTH.EDU (04/08/90)

Well, woj, does "Book of Dreams" have anything to do
with, you know, _A_Book_of_Dreams_?

Julian

woiccare@CLUTX.CLARKSON.EDU (the evil one) (04/08/90)

Julian asks:
> Well, woj, does "Book of Dreams" have anything to do
> with, you know, _A_Book_of_Dreams_?

wow. hadn't even *thought* of that!

here's the lyrics as i hear them, so you can decide:

	in my book of dreams (x3)

	i took your urgent whisper
	stole the arc of a white wing
	rolled like foam on the river of pity
	turned its tide to strength
	healed the wound that ripped in living

	in my book of dreams (x3)

	this spine is bound to last a life
	tought enough to take the pounding
	pages made of days of open hand

	in my book of dreams (x3)

	cover every page in silver
	underline it magic marker
	take the name of evey prisioner
	????? there my word of honor

	i took you urgent whisper
	stole the arc of a white wing
	rolled like foam in the river of pity
	turned it tide to strength
	healed the hole that ripped in living

	in my book of dreams (ad infinitum)

well, i don't think it has much to do with the the book,
but hey, who knows? has anyone actually read reich's book?

woj

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (08/06/90)

Really-From: paullu@cs.ualberta.ca (Paul Lu)

In article <9008030141.AA26353@gumby.us.oracle.com> Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: nhess@us.oracle.com (Nate Hess)
>
>Meanwhile, I have neither heard nor heard much about Suzanne Vega's
>third album.  What's it like?
>
>--woodstock
>--
>
>nhess@us.oracle.com or ...!uunet!oracle!nhess or (415) 598-3046

Suzanne Vega's third album, _Days_Of_Open_Hand_ was released circa
March/April this year and I think it is excellent!!

When I first heard the album, my impression was, "Gee whiz, she should
have put more effort into polishing the melodies," but the album
quickly grew on me, and now I think the album is as good, in its
own way, as her first two.  The above reaction was not unlike my
reaction to Kate's _TSW_ (but I still think _HoL_ is the finest
album ever made by anyone, with _TD_ a not-so-distant second).

My enjoyment of Vega's album was helped by seeing her live in early
July, when she was in town.  She and her band gave a dynamic and
sincere performance.  Like Kate, Suzanne's own uniqueness and
personality comes through in her music, but it is never quite fair
to say that she is singing about herself.  Both are artists that
care more about continuing to make and share their music than
being a celebrity.

In my opinion, Vega's best gift is that of a lyricist.  She paints
wonderful word pictures, and she can fill a phrase with both articulation
and insight.  All of the songs on her third album are wonderful, but
my favourites are "Big Space," "Room Off the Street," and "Fifty-Fifty
Chance."  Mind you, nothing on this album has a ghost's chance of being
a radio hit.

Here's a sampling:

	"Close to the middle of the network
	 It seems we're looking for a center
	 What if it turns out to be hollow?
	 We could be fixing what is broken"	(Big Space)

	"Between the pen and the paperwork
	 There must be passion in the language
	 Between the muscle and the brain work
	 There must be feeling in the pipeline"	(Big Space)

	"Somewhere in a room...
	 Is a woman who's drinking
	 And her dress is so tight
	 You can see every breath
	 That she takes"			(Room Off the Street)

	"I tell you
	 I love you
	 I sing to you
	 Bring to you
	 Anything"				(Fifty-Fifty Chance)

Summary?  A great album, especially if you liked her first two.  Just
give it a chance before judging it.

	...Paul Lu (paullu@ca.ualberta.ca)

P.S.  Only one week until I go to London, England.  Found East Wickham
on the map.  Might go for a walk, but don't worry, I don't intend to
embarrass myself (or Love-Hounds).

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/25/90)

Really-From: bcstec!saddler@uunet.UU.NET (Ray Saddler)

In article <9009072028.aa12805@pebbles.sct.clarkson.edu> Love-Hounds@gaffa.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: woiccare@pebbles.sct.clarkson.edu
=
-ken sez:
-= ...stuff about the:
-- "days of Open Hand", but it had a hologram (of the front cover...
--ust a special cover as far as i know - i've seen it too and i passed it
- ...responded, then mentioned:
-speaking of suzanne, i'm the proud owner of ticket #1 for her coming show
-at the chance in poughkeepsie.

Enjoy the concert!  I saw her 'Open Hand' show this year over here in Seattle,
and it was *fantastic*, so I encourage everyone who likes her stuff to
attend.

She and her band have a good time, and  Suz takes time to sit on her stool,
on the edge of the stage and yak with the audience.  I was, however, amazed
at how short her hair has become, and dressed really funky.  Not the quite
appearance from her earlier days, she's  extremely outgoing in her
performance and it's exciting to see live (and up close)

Maybe you can ask her to explain the rules while she's taking a break and
chatting with the audience.  Let us know!

N-Joy!

--
Ray E. Saddler III                 UseNet            ___ ___ ___ ___     ___
CAD System/Network Admin   ..!uunet!bcstec!saddler  /__//  //__  /  /\ //  _

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (09/25/90)

Really-From: woiccare@pebbles.sct.clarkson.edu

ray saddler sez:
> Enjoy the concert!  I saw her 'Open Hand' show this year over here in Seattle,
> and it was *fantastic*, so I encourage everyone who likes her stuff to
> attend.

you better believe i'm gonna enjoy it. i missed her in 1987 cos a bone-
head friend of mine didn't call me up and tell me she was playing at the
in albany...and then with the past spring in the states, i never seemed
to in the area of where she was while i was moving all over the northeast.
but not anymore! :)

> She and her band have a good time, and  Suz takes time to sit on her stool,
> on the edge of the stage and yak with the audience.  I was, however, amazed
> at how short her hair has become, and dressed really funky.  Not the quite
> appearance from her earlier days, she's  extremely outgoing in her
> performance and it's exciting to see live (and up close)

i kinda like the short hair myself. though i think i liked the cover
shot on the first album the best (source, i like that album the best,
mostly cos i heard that one the first, as i think i wrote about last
spring sometime).

as for outgoing, i picked up a boot lp of a concert in italy that has her
trying real hard to speak italian and not doing too bad either (at least
to my untrained ear). she seemed very personable here, and yet, on an
`86 show i have, she's cold (wearing the uniform, for those of you who
read that wonderful article in musician from a few months back). i'm
thikning that i'll enjoy this show very much - and i surely intend to
try and get right up front.

the other nice thing about this record is that two never-released songs
are on it: "daniela" and "rainsong". the first wasn't too memorable
(but then we all know about my memory), but "rainsong" is absolutely
wonderful! this show is from `84 and her voice kinda reveals this since
it is decidedly more shaky, but the song is so poignant in its message.
and it seems to remind me of another song that i can never put my fin-
ger on. it drizzles like the storm outside her pane...

> Maybe you can ask her to explain the rules while she's taking a break and
> chatting with the audience.  Let us know!

well, that's not exactly what i had in mind, but we'll see! :)

woj