[rec.music.gaffa] Lyrics Server -- I still can't use it

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/03/90)

Really-From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)

Well, I tried sending mail to the lyrics server just as people suggested.
I got nothing back at all.  But I did get an error message appended to
the end of all my *other* mail messages.  (Is this weird, or what?)

The message was:  "Due to a missing permanent file or lack of permission,
you cannot send to notesfile 'Lyrics Server.'"

Can anybody tell me what's going on?

Ed
ed@das.llnl.gov

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/03/90)

Really-From: Jon Drukman <jsd@gaffa.MIT.EDU>

>Really-From: ed@das.llnl.gov (Edward Suranyi)

{lyrics server woes}
>The message was:  "Due to a missing permanent file or lack of permission,
>you cannot send to notesfile 'Lyrics Server.'"

That's a Umass mailer thing that probably means that the file was
full.  Either that or somebody had taken it down for servicing.

>Can anybody tell me what's going on?

Yeah, very probably the lyrics server decided it doesn't like you and
won't reply to you.  My bet is on your return address being unknown by
umass.

A good solution (all others with lyrics server problems take note) is
to make sure you put a "Reply-To:" field with a damn fine return
address in it.

Ed: I requested the lyrics to a Scraping Foetus Off The Wheel song and
had the server forward it to you.  Let me know if it ever shows up -
if it doesn't, then UMass can't parse your return address and you need
to specify a better one.

--
+---------------------- Is there any ESCAPE from NOISE? ---------------------+
|  |   |\       | jsd@gaffa.mit.edu | ZIK ZAK - We make everything you need, |

asdurbin@amherst.bitnet (10/05/90)

> Yeah, very probably the lyrics server decided it doesn't like you and
> won't reply to you.  My bet is on your return address being unknown by
> umass.
>
> A good solution (all others with lyrics server problems take note) is
> to make sure you put a "Reply-To:" field with a damn fine return
> address in it.

I'm not sure that this is the problem.  I am on Bitnet, but going to school
about a mile away from UMass, Amherst's VAX is even hooked up into a local
network with Umass, and the messages I've sent to the lyrics server have
also been bounced back to me, with the same message of not having clearance
or whatever the wording was...

asd

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/05/90)

Really-From: ASDURBIN%AMHERST.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

From: asdurbin@amherst.bitnet
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Subject: Re: Lyrics Server -- I still can't use it
Date: 5 Oct 90 10:31:41 GMT

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/06/90)

Really-From: Kevin J Martin <sigma@rpi.edu>

>> Yeah, very probably the lyrics server decided it doesn't like you and
>> won't reply to you.  My bet is on your return address being unknown by
>> umass.
>>
>> A good solution (all others with lyrics server problems take note) is
>> to make sure you put a "Reply-To:" field with a damn fine return
>> address in it.
>>

>I'm not sure that this is the problem.  I am on Bitnet, but going to school
>about a mile away from UMass, Amherst's VAX is even hooked up into a local
>network with Umass, and the messages I've sent to the lyrics server have
>also been bounced back to me, with the same message of not having clearance
>or whatever the wording was...

As best I can figure, the Lyrics server is deceased due to legal issues.
The lyrics are, of course, copyrighted as part of the work, and even though
they aren't usually worth much to someone who doesn't already own the music,
it's still a legal issue.  This is what I've figured from rec.music.misc
recently.

--
Kevin Martin
sigma@rpi.edu, or USERGKJ1@mts.rpi.edu

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (10/06/90)

Really-From: Jon Drukman <jsd@gaffa.MIT.EDU>

>Really-From: Kevin J Martin <sigma@rpi.edu>
>>I'm not sure that this is the problem.  I am on Bitnet, but going to school
>>about a mile away from UMass, Amherst's VAX is even hooked up into a local
>>network with Umass, and the messages I've sent to the lyrics server have
>>also been bounced back to me, with the same message of not having clearance
>>or whatever the wording was...
>
>As best I can figure, the Lyrics server is deceased due to legal issues.
>The lyrics are, of course, copyrighted as part of the work, and even though
>they aren't usually worth much to someone who doesn't already own the music,
>it's still a legal issue.  This is what I've figured from rec.music.misc
>recently.

For the eight million and twelfth time, NO!  There are absolutely no
legal cases pending against the server and its administration.  I
think the inbound file is filled up and the guy who runs it hasn't
bothered to restart it lately.  That's ALL.  Once he gets off his butt
and fixes it, everything will be fine and dandy again.  OK?  Repeat
after me: the server is alive and well, but temporarily out of
commission.  This better be the last time I have to say this.